Pro Wrestling Only

1989 Rookie List

kevinmcfl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I wasn't intending to start some shit. Seriously just wanted to point out that Beulah spends the next 7 years as a back up dancer for Prince amongst other gigs and not in professional wrestling!

and I have no dogs in this fight, so I won't leave any opinion on the meat of this argument, but I did want to comment on one thing Rain said about the deaths.

David Von Erich as NWA Champion in 88, creepy?

See, I think that would be interesting as hell.

I truly hope if this game ever re-boots back to the early 80's or we start another one, that some of the deaths can be looked at on a case by case basis and since we are already booking an alternate history, we can book one where David goes to the doctor, Gino gets help, or Magnum gets home. Then if David lives, do Mike and Kerry do what Mike and Kerry do? Does Mike even become a wrestler?

The what if scenarios are endless. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities that in truth are at least as plausible if not more realistic than 1988 Crash Holly or mulleted newcomer Shane Douglas already being the franchise. (No offense meant, just using those as examples.)

Personally, I would hope we don't reboot anytime soon because I had a lot of things planned for UWF Newborn...

I didn't realize Crash Holly was so popular :)

Writers tend to go whichever way they choose with regards to using early or later gimmicks, as long as it isn't too out of keeping with the times. I have Flyboy Rocco Rock as Cheetah Kid, Mick Foley as Cactus Jack instead of Mankind, Scotty The Body instead of Raven. I kept Mark Callaway as Texas Red for a long time before morphing him into the Undertaker 2 years early. I also have the Patriot, the Eagle, Crash Holly etc. some years ahead of those gimmicks. It was all for what I needed of them at the time for my writing and roster.  It's up to the individual writer's discretion and , as I said, as long as it isn't completely inappropriate for the time period, it's all good. (I have personally refrained from the "Simply The Best" nickname and theme music for Tony St. Clair because Tina Turner's most famous version of that song hadn't come out until mid 1989). Besides, if a particular writer prefers an earlier gimmick for a wrestler, they can write them back into it when they get them onto their own roster.

I think Ken "Wayne" Shamrock should be kept on my roster and taken out of the draft based on the fact that he's always been a shoot-style guy. He had a brief run in AJPW in 1989, bounced around a bit in the US as "Vince Torelli," and then tried out for UWF Newborn in 1990 which led to an extended run with UWF, PWFG, and then Pancrase. That's seven years of working shoot-style or UWF-adjacent promotions until he joins WWF in 1997 for a few years before going back to Japan to work for PRIDE and such. Eight years of working in Japan. Clearly, he's always been a guy closer to shoot-style than traditional pro-wrestling. 

Makes sense, his pro career didn't really amount to much more than the proverbial cup of coffee. Even when he showed up in the WWF, it was as "UFC star Ken Shamrock". Given how rich this particular draft is, I don't see a reall issue in this one guy staying in the shoot style realm, since that was his bread and butter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too fussed about this since at the end of the day these are just names on a message board and they have no real bearing on things, but there were two other names that might need some more consideration: 1) Rey Mysterio - Assuming this is Rey Mysterio Jr, he was 14 when he debuted in 1989 and doesn't really get his career going until 1992 with AAA. It might be a better idea to have him for 1992, but if people really want him in the game now, they should probably keep his age in mind. 2) Tajiri- If this is the Tajiri we all know and love, he doesn't debut until 1993/1994 according to Cagematch/Wrestling Data. I can't find anything that suggests he was active in 1989. He might have been a kickboxer somewhere going by his Wikipedia page, but he wasn't active as a professional wrestler as far as I can tell. There's a Wordpress page that claims he debuted in 1989 for IWA Japan, but this is misinformed as there is no record of IWA until 1994.

1 hour ago, Control21 said:

I'm not too fussed about this since at the end of the day these are just names on a message board and they have no real bearing on things, but there were two other names that might need some more consideration: 1) Rey Mysterio - Assuming this is Rey Mysterio Jr, he was 14 when he debuted in 1989 and doesn't really get his career going until 1992 with AAA. It might be a better idea to have him for 1992, but if people really want him in the game now, they should probably keep his age in mind. 2) Tajiri- If this is the Tajiri we all know and love, he doesn't debut until 1993/1994 according to Cagematch/Wrestling Data. I can't find anything that suggests he was active in 1989. He might have been a kickboxer somewhere going by his Wikipedia page, but he wasn't active as a professional wrestler as far as I can tell. There's a Wordpress page that claims he debuted in 1989 for IWA Japan, but this is misinformed as there is no record of IWA until 1994.

I have had some teenagers on my roster, but 14 is pretty young. To borrow a line from Letterkenny, maybe we need to let the paint dry a bit on Rey. Tajiri is listed as debuting in 1989 in wrestling data, but doesn't show any matches until later. Maybe split the difference on both and say 1991?

1 hour ago, rainmakerrtv said:

I have had some teenagers on my roster, but 14 is pretty young. To borrow a line from Letterkenny, maybe we need to let the paint dry a bit on Rey. Tajiri is listed as debuting in 1989 in wrestling data, but doesn't show any matches until later. Maybe split the difference on both and say 1991?

It's weird because if you click on the matches for Tajiri on WD, it only goes back as far as 1993. Not sure where they got 1989 from because I'm struggling to find anything on 1989 for Tajiri. And all the google results I'm seeing say he debuted in IWA Japan in 1989, but IWA Japan didn't exist then. 

I am fine taking Rey Mysterio out and Tajiri out.  

I know where Rey Mysterio game from https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1989_debuts

Not sure how Tajiri got on the list but he was not in the North America at this time so he should be removed.  This should go for others on the list also if there are any not from North America.  

All of this is the reason I supported the 10 match in a year rule before we put them in the game.  

• 4 weeks later...

Onita did work in North America in 1980, 1981, and 1982.  He is someone we missed as a foreign wrestler who has spent previous time in North America which makes him eligible to return based on our rules.  Once someone has spent time here, we deemed it logically that they may return as some point with the right offer.  He is still okay to be drafted.  

I am fine revisiting this rule if others wish to.

27 minutes ago, Control21 said:

FMW in 1988 would be pretty fun, maybe you can bring some of that magic here.

All good, I'm fooling around! ^_^ I am so immersed in '96 and I am pouring everything into that project.

I was just peeking in on the thread and acknowledging a kayfabe rivalry with @Control21, I am sure he has interesting plans with Onita.