Pro Wrestling Only

1989 Rookie List

kevinmcfl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this game had Yokozuna in 1984, Waylon Mercy in 1985 or 86, The Undertaker and Big Van Vader in 1987,  the Holly Cousins in 1988, and next apparently Beulah McGillicutty 7 years early.....

I can see why the absolute last thing we'd want is for it to become unrealistic with Onita returning from injury early.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed Jerry Flynn is on the list but he didn't debut until December 1989 and that was for FMW. He didn't wrestle again until 1991 where he worked primarily for PWFG (Fujiwara's promotion) until 1993. He doesn't hit the 10 match requirement for North America until 1995 by my count. 

He is someone I am interested in bringing in at some point but probably not until later next year of course. 

8 hours ago, Control21 said:

I noticed Jerry Flynn is on the list but he didn't debut until December 1989 and that was for FMW. He didn't wrestle again until 1991 where he worked primarily for PWFG (Fujiwara's promotion) until 1993. He doesn't hit the 10 match requirement for North America until 1995 by my count. 

He is someone I am interested in bringing in at some point but probably not until later next year of course. 

Darn it, I was completely invested in having a tag team of Jerry Lynn and Jerry Flynn :)

Seriously, though, it makes sense.

THE 1989 ROOKIE DRAFT

- DRAFT WILL BE A SNAKE DRAFT

-  DRAFT WILL LAST UNTIL LAST PERSON DROPS OUT

- ALL ROSTERS MUST BE AT THE CAP BY JAN 1.

-  DRAFTED WRESTLERS CAN NOT BE USED UNTIL JAN 1.

- ALL DRAFT PICKS CAN BE TRADED

- THE DRAFT ORDER AND LIST OF ELEIGIBLE ROOKIES IS LISTED BELOW.

-PLEASE LET THE NEXT PERSON KNOW WHEN THEY ARE UP.

THE DRAFT IS NOW OPEN.  MAKE ALL PICKS HERE

CURRENT DRAFT ORDER

1.  Music City:  (Traded to WCW)  Steve Austin

2.  AWA:  (Traded to WWF)  (Traded to WCW)  Booker T

3.  WCW:  (Traded to Music City)  Jacqueline

4.  WWF:  Tatanka

5.  Memphis:  (Traded to WCW):  Stevie Ray

6.  Pacific:  (Mike Awesome)

7.  NWA  (Traded to WWF):  Henry O Godwin

This makes the order in round #2

1.  NWA (Traded to WWF) (Traded to PCW) Tommy Dreamer

2.  Pacific:  Trisa Hayes

3.  Memphis:  (Traded to WWF) (Traded to WCW) (Traded to PCW):  Billy Gunn

4. WWF  (traded to WCW):  Ahmed Johnson

5.  WCW:  Scott Norton

6.  AWA   (Traded to PCW):  Charles Wright

7.  Music City:  Jim Mitchell

ROUND 3

1.  Music City:  Ritchie Acevedo

2.  AWA:  (Traded to PCW):  Kensuki Sasaki

3.  WCW:  Denise Storm

4.  WWF:  El Gigante

5.  Memphis:  Sandman

6.  Pacific:  David Young

7.  NWA:  John Kronus

ROUND 4

1.  NWA:  Perry Saturn

2.  Pacific:  Shane Sewell

3.  Memphis:  Rick Bogner

4.  WWF:  Bryan Clark

5.  WCW:  JW Storm

7.  Music City:  Paul Lee

ROUND 5

1.  Music City:  Don Allen

3.  WCW:  King Cobra

7.  NWA:  Al Green

ROUND 6

1.  NWA:  Kurrgan

5.  WCW:  Tommy Jammer

7.  Music City

ROUND 7

1.  Music City

7.  NWA  

ROUND 8

1.  NWA 

7.  Music City

ROUND 9

Music City

NWA

ROUND 10

NWA 

Music CIty

89 Rookies List

Ahmed Johnson
Al Green
Amy Lee
Big Titan Rick Bogner
Bill Francis
Billy Gunn
Bobby Walker
Booker T
Brett Como
Brickhouse Baker
Bryan Clarke
CW Bergstrom
Charles Wright
Chief Lightfoot
Chris Walker
Dan Cooley

David Young
Denise Storm
Don Allen
Dr. Luthor
Dwayne Bruce
El Gigante
Frankie DeFalco
Hardcore Harry
Henry Goodwin
JW Storm
Jacqueline
Jason Helton
Jim McPhearson

Jim Mitchell (Manager)
Jimmy Jannety
Joe Gunns
John Kronus
Jumbo Baretta
Kensuke Sasaki
King Cobra
Kurrgan
Lady Amazon
Lou Fabiana
Mad Man Pondo
Mark Guleen  (To retire after 1989)
Mark Von Erich
Mavrick Wild
Mike Awesome
Mike Golden
Mike Lozanski
Mike Samson
Nitron
Paul Lee
Peaches
Perry Saturn
Richard Sartain  (To retire after 1989)

Ritchie Acevedo
Sandman
Scott Braddock
Scott Norton
Shane Sewell
Shinji Sasazaki
Steve Austin

Steve Lawler
Stevie Ray
Tatanka

Terry Simms

Tim Hunt  (To retire after 1989)
Tim Parker
Tom Barrett

Tommy Dreamer
Tommy Jammer
Trisa Hayes
Val Pucchio

On 7/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, Blehschmidt said:

Hello Gentleman!

Just looking around at the happenings in my old stomping ground and wanted to drop one small piece of information.

Trisa Hayes (aka Beulah McGillicutty) probably shouldn't be available until 1995.

She made one single appearance in Stampede in 1988 as an audience plant to help get Brian Pillman over (as she was dating him at the time) and then never appeared in wrestling again until her time in ECW began.

With the rules this game uses for debuts and retirements, I certainly don't think she fits the criteria for debuting at this point!

I see we've gone ahead and drafted Ms. Hayes anyway. 

So Beulah is now going to debut in 1989, when she shouldn't make regular appearances until 1995. BUT... because WrestlingData is an incomplete piece of shit website, Chick Donovan is going to retire in 1989, even though he is still wrestling in his 70's as we speak 

So Beulah is now going to debut in 1989, when she shouldn't make regular appearances until 1995. BUT... Magnum TA had to have his injury, Bruiser Brody had to die, and I couldn't ignore David Von Erich's death....because this game is about us trying to build a realistic world....

You all are going to ignore this anyway, but I am going to go ahead and say... this game is in dire need of a reboot, and this time around, less time needs to be spent worrying about when guys like Chick Donovan don't have ten matches in a year, and more time needs to be spent not allowing each other to try launching fucking ECW in 1988 or pushing attitude era guys 10 to 15 years too early.

10 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

I see we've gone ahead and drafted Ms. Hayes anyway. 

So Beulah is now going to debut in 1989, when she shouldn't make regular appearances until 1995. BUT... because WrestlingData is an incomplete piece of shit website, Chick Donovan is going to retire in 1989, even though he is still wrestling in his 70's as we speak 

So Beulah is now going to debut in 1989, when she shouldn't make regular appearances until 1995. BUT... Magnum TA had to have his injury, Bruiser Brody had to die, and I couldn't ignore David Von Erich's death....because this game is about us trying to build a realistic world....

You all are going to ignore this anyway, but I am going to go ahead and say... this game is in dire need of a reboot, and this time around, less time needs to be spent worrying about when guys like Chick Donovan don't have ten matches in a year, and more time needs to be spent not allowing each other to try launching fucking ECW in 1988 or pushing attitude era guys 10 to 15 years too early.

I think if someone wanted Chick Donovan beyond 1989, that amendment could be made rather easily since evidence of his career beyond that year is clearly there (I mainly use Cagematch since that seems to be a better website for historical records). That shouldn't be an issue. 

As for Beulah, I'd say the cat went out of the bag when Dan Severn was somehow introduced a few years ago (how this happened, I don't know. It's not a big deal to me but I think the precedent has been created for early introductions. Hell, I'm bringing in Volk Han three years early). Naturally, as the game grows and reaches the 1990s, there's going to be some growing pains with new wrestlers coming in. Who qualifies and who doesn't is something that will probably be discussed as cases arise. Some wrestlers have wrong debuts attached to them on the internet (like Taijiri), so some cross-checking should be encouraged. And in cases like Rey Mysterio, they "debuted" when they were like 15 years old, but didn't actually start their careers a few years later.

I know this can be annoying to some people who may have had to sacrifice wrestlers to deaths or retirements that happened in real life, but I think we're doing fine. I think a reset over these issues would be silly and unnecessary. 

Just my two cents of course, which probably doesn't mean much.

I have explained to all involved in this game, that I am past my comfort zone in terms of wrestling knowledge.  I have also welcomed all the help that I can get in terms of making the rookie list and I am grateful for the help of the writers who added names to our list and to those who helped explain that certain wrestlers did not belong on the list.  Our rules also allow for retired wrestlers to wrestle for up to a month in a promotion every year.  That could be like 7 months if everyone took a run at them.  I believe we currently have about 12 retired wrestlers working in some fashion in a promotion.  So anyone who wants a "Chick Donovan" on their roster, go for it.  

This is also Fantasy Wrestling.  This is for fun. If the truth gets stretched a bit, we will live with it.  I have seen promoters in our game force wrestlers into early retirement just because they did not like the way the promoter used them in real life.  (Fritz and Mike Von Erich) We all have rushed a person too early, pushed them too late in their careers but I can honestly say that I have enjoyed writing for Dawn of War and reading the many different promotions we have had throughout our years.  

In terms of a reboot, we have seen 6 or 7 full attempts at a new game on this website alone.  They all seemed to have lasted a few months at best.  Dawn of War is heading into its 6th year.  Myself, Spaldoni and Rain have been together the entire time and we have been lucky enough to add our other current creative writers:  Jimmy Jack, Autistic Dragon, Lowblow, LastStopTour and Control21.  We have also had many writers who have joined and left us over the years.  This is not for everyone but everyone is welcomed back.  While we have had some disagreements over rules, we have always come to a fair decision as all writers have equal voting power.  If anyone currently involved in our game would like to amend a rule please send me a note and I will put it out there to the group.  If anyone wants a reboot, feel free to start your own game.  I have supported others attempts at this and always welcomed back writers who have tried it.  In the end, this is for fun.  We do not want to keep anyone from using their creative juices nor do we want to hamstring anyone with our rules.