Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/26 - Visa Issues Kept This From Being Made On Time

Timbo Slice

20 hours ago, MLB said:

How is it important? Ospreay didn't say, "I gotta feed my fat girlfriend and her bastard kid!" Tully Blanchard's feud with Magnum TA didn't have Tully talking about his aunt going through chemotherapy or putting his dog down, you know what I'm saying? I don't remember the Undertaker cutting a promo saying, "...I was a shy kid". 

How is it not important? It explains everything about him and his motivations and reasonings for joining up with Don Callis and doing what he did to Jericho. It's the biggest match of his career, set to make the life of him and his family. Heels are people with bills and families, too, they can be motivated by things other than being baddies.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

How is it not important? It explains everything about him and his motivations and reasonings for joining up with Don Callis and doing what he did to Jericho. It's the biggest match of his career, set to make the life of him and his family. Heels are people with bills and families, too, they can be motivated by things other than being baddies.

For me that is how a babyface rationalizes their actions. Did we need an explanation with Callis? It wasn't a heel turn. Ospreay wants to take out a popular legend in Jericho on a grand stage, I think that's enough. The objective is to get heat on Will, not provide a reason for his chicanery. Ospreay is an arrogant heel who claims he is better than established AEW stars like Punk, Omega, etc. He is aligned with the biggest heel in AEW, Don Phallus. Okay, they're booing him, let's see Jericho kick his ass at the show. Oh wait, now Ospreay is talking about risking his life to give an orphan and a single mother the best life possible. Jeez, maybe Ospreay is a good guy? It diminishes the heat on Ospreay as a viewer. 

You brought up Hansen as an example, but the reason Hansen talked about his fat wife and kids was to portray them as a burden to get heat. It made Hansen seem like a patriarchal bully, so to me that detail works for the gimmick.