Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers (2023) - OVW documentary series on Netflix

C.S.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to. I decided to check out the first episode and ended up binging the entire series in one night. A lot of it was obviously set up and staged for dramatic effect like most documentary series are, but I found it highly entertaining.

I just can’t believe the news that broke today that Haley J actually has a tryout with WWE. Either she has matured a tremendous amount in the past year, or she was putting on her behavioural and mental problems for this documentary, or WWE has really lowered their standards, because that poor kid is a trainwreck. Either that or she does the tryout and has no shot.

Although you never know. She seems like a natural when it comes to her character and promo abilities. She is just a mess outside the ring.  Between the domestic disputes, the drug use before her matches, and her walking out in the middle of an angle to work some WOW tapings… I don’t see her lasting long in a professional environment.

This documentary did confirm my opinion about Al Snow. He somehow manages to always come across as a simultaneously compelling, sympathetic, and yet incredibly annoying and kind of insufferable “know it all” type person, all at the same time.

Apparently, this documentary has already had a massive positive effect for OVW. Their YouTube and FITE Subscription numbers have gone up dramatically, their attendance is way up, and their next pay-per-view on FITE may actually break 74 buys lol.

I'll defend Haley J somewhat:

1. WOW, unlike Matt Jones and OVW, was probably able to pay her on time. "Walking away from an angle" - artistic credibility (whatever the fuck that means) and Al Snow be damned - I, too, would walk away from OVW for actual money. I love Al Snow, but him getting on his high horse because she was "delaying storylines" is absolutely ridiculous. As proud and passionate as he is about OVW, and he has every right to be, he also needs to understand that it's not WWE, AEW, or even Impact. It's never going to be anyone's first destination, nor should it be. Matt Jones asking everyone to clear their schedules for the Summer Tour and not accept any other bookings was also tone deaf, especially when he pulled Reverend Ronnie Roberts from a show because the church venue complained, and then didn't even pay him. Fuck off with that!

2. "Domestic disputes" = Her boyfriend is an abusive shithead with a god damn gun tattoo and a fucking Ron Paul tattoo. (I'd say that about any politician, BTW, just not Ron Paul. Just how dumb to you have to be to get a politician tattooed on yourself?) Yes, she said "she gave it to him worse" or whatever, but this isn't the first time a woman has blamed herself for her abusive partner. I hope he never, ever makes it anywhere in wrestling. FUCK HIM!

Edit: I just realized you probably also meant her mother. Yeah, that was not great. But I don't see how it would affect anything she does in WWE if they do sign her - unless the mom gets signed too, which I doubt, but I'd root for her to get her flowers. (I'd also love for Ca$h Flo to get a permanent spot in AEW.)

3. When she isn't putting on the obnoxious hoodrat persona, she's really pretty in the way WWE definitely likes.

I didn't entirely love her. She has massive maturity issues and seems like her own worst enemy in the way CM Punk and Eddie Kingston sometimes are. But as frustrating as she was at times, there's a reason she was made one of the "stars" and focuses of the documentary - she has a dynamic personality that leaps off the screen. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...