Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair v Ricky Steamboat

Guest KingPK

Guest KingPK

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - WrestleWar '89

So I decided to watch this again to see if I can agree with those that say it is one of the greatest matches of all time. The work is sound; Steamboat working on the shoulder of Flair to set up the double chickenwing, which he used to make Flair submit in the 2/3 falls New Orleans match is smart and simple booking, but there really isn't anything "special" in the match to warrant praise as high as "Greatest of All Time." A big black mark for me is the multiple (and unneeded) over the top rope spots, which were I guess supposed to tease DQs, but the only one that was really needed was Flair crotching Steamboat on top and sending him out, hurting his knee to set up the figure-four and the finish (Steamboat tries a slam, Flair uses his weight to roll through and get the pin). Terry Funk's butting into Flair's postmatch interview and asking for a shot followed by his subsequent heel turn was good, though. I'll probably watch their I Quit match later.

This is definitely in the *** to ***3/4 range, but the previously mentioned 2/3 falls match is a BIT better, and I keep hearing good things about their Chi-Town Rumble match.

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - WrestleWar '89

So I decided to watch this again to see if I can agree with those that say it is one of the greatest matches of all time.  The work is sound; Steamboat working on the shoulder of Flair to set up the double chickenwing, which he used to make Flair submit in the 2/3 falls New Orleans match is smart and simple booking, but there really isn't anything "special" in the match to warrant praise as high as "Greatest of All Time."  A big black mark for me is the multiple (and unneeded) over the top rope spots, which were I guess supposed to tease DQs, but the only one that was really needed was Flair crotching Steamboat on top and sending him out, hurting his knee to set up the figure-four and the finish (Steamboat tries a slam, Flair uses his weight to roll through and get the pin).  Terry Funk's butting into Flair's postmatch interview and asking for a shot followed by his subsequent heel turn was good, though.  I'll probably watch their I Quit match later.

This is definitely in the *** to ***3/4 range, but the previously mentioned 2/3 falls match is a BIT better, and I keep hearing good things about their Chi-Town Rumble match.

I would agree with this. I'd probably rank Wrestle War a tad higher, as I do think it's an excellent match, but it's not the Greatest Match Of All Time, as some have suggested through the years. You'll probably enjoy Chi-Town and Clash VI much more.