Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Benoit v HHH v Shawn Michaels

Loss

Chris Benoit v HHH v HBK - WWE Backlash 2004

So, this was Benoit's first high-profile title defense, eh? Edmonton seems to be quite thrilled that he won the gold, and so does Benoit, as he puts the belt in both Hunter and Shawn's faces, probably realizing the chances of him ever doing *that* again wouldn't be in this lifetime. The match starts off with HBK and Benoit, before HHH pokes his nose in things so he could have his say. HHH sucks in this match, by the way. The largest part of this sees him almost completely ignoring the crowd, but to his credit, the best thing he did for this match was stay out of the way for most of it; the story plays out more of Shawn getting pissed at the crowd's accusations that he screwed Bret, and responding to those allegations by beating up Chris Benoit. I almost wish he would have played more of a heel, but I understand why he didn't, since he still had to come back to the US and be everybody's hero again. He takes a very nice bump when he misses a crossbody from the top rope to the floor, thus sending him sailing through the ringside announce table. This causes Jim Ross to assert that "HHH has just found himself behind the wheel of a world championship vehicle." If you can translate that into something that makes sense, you should apply for the UN ambassador job currently being debated in the Senate. Go on, go and good luck not being filibustered.

HHH, the only true heel this match has to offer, wrestles clean as a sheet until he brings the sledgehammer into the ring and attacks Michaels with it, which is toward the end of this match. I don't understand why all along, he wasn't trash talking, stooging, cheating and acting like a real heel. He was too busy doing count along corner punches, which is the babyface's domain. I don't recall this being announced as a no-DQ match, and JR didn't step in and say "this is a no disqualification match"; he only said that HHH could do whatever he wanted and that the ref couldn't do anything about it. Make your own jokes. The announcing wasn't all that good here, with Jerry Lawler pretending not to know who Verne Gagne was, and JR reminding us that Benoit went to wrestling school with only $20 in his pocket about ten thousand times. You'd think JR was fucking pigpocketing him as many times as he mentions it.

Benoit is better than the other two, but he tends to overdo it with the German suplex and crossface attempts. He tries the sharpshooter a few times, and even gets the win with it, but besides that it's either crossface or Germans, Germans or crossface. HBK having him in the sharpshooter, leaving Earl Hebner to run in as the second referee and officiate the rest of the match, was the best part of this match, and a nice touch of continuity. I also liked the fire and spirit behind the HHH/HBK slugfest in the latter stages, with Shawn slapping Hunter in the face and shoving him between HHH's punches. It's the closest they ever came here to making me think they hated each other. Without the obligatory heat for Chris Benoit in his hometown, the crowd didn't react all that much, unless they were chanting obscenities at Shawn Michaels. So it's hard for me to say the match had any heat, or that any of the work created any heat. This one sucks at the teat of the original, perfect finish and all.

• 2 weeks later...

I don;t remember hating this match when I first saw it last year. Then again, I don't remember the match itself. Maybe that is the bigger indictment, the match is completely forgettable.

Also, have you reviewed the WM main? I think that would be a good starting point for comparison sake.

HA. Actually the reason I haven't been reviewing more stuff is because I am too damn busy breaking out the comps. At this very moment, I am preparing discs for Some Guy (25 hours worth +shoot interviews), teke (8 discs made, about 100 to go), and Nik Johns (12 discs total). Add the other stuff, like Netflix movies, capturing and making 6-9-95 for you, changing diapers and dealing with the wife and I haven't been able to just sit down, chill and watch wrestling. When I reviewed those other matches, it was when my wife was out shopping and I had some free time.

Ah, yeah, I understand that. I've been watching a little too much myself. I'm still going to watch everyday, but I'm going to shave down the time a little bit. I realized I hadn't done the dishes in a week this morning, and my roommate has been doing them all this time, and we normally trade out. So, I'll probably come home, do everything that needs to be done, have dinner, make phone calls and then sit down. Luckily, I go to the gym in the mornings, so I haven't gained 100 lbs or anything.

Since you guys were discussing these things, I actually gotta apologize to you guys for not having reviewed anything after I had said I would, even if it was just shortly afterwards. I've been quite busy myself with a new project at work that's forcing me to work overtime several times, leaving me a bit exhausted on those given days. There's also been time with the girlfriend as well as getting my full driver's license last week. I need to fork out something soon. I'm feeling left out, in a way.