Pro Wrestling Only

Matches From 1995

Loss

Eddy Guerrero v Dean Malenko - 2/3 falls - 08/26/95 (ECW)

Man, FUCK this crowd! Since when is it a sign of "respect" for a bunch of self-important fans to spend the duration of a match putting themselves over and finding ways to break kayfabe? Reactions like the ones here essentially make ECW a useless exercise overall, because the mutants refused to buy into anything the company was selling, they were dead set against suspending their disbelief, and their top priority seems to be coming up with creative chants, with swear words whenever possible, instead of letting the workers tell a story, reacting to it and *then* doing their pretentious applause, probably not even having a clue why they're clapping in the first place.

You have Eddy Guerrero playing the subtle heel in this match, which doesn't really fit in with the body of the feud, but he's the one using his boot laces as a weapon, running to the ropes for safety, poking Malenko in the eye and dominating the offense most of the time. Eddy just isn't Eddy here; in fact, I think this may be the most off I've ever seen him. It's very possible that he was overcome with the emotion of the moment and it distracted him; Hell, it distracted me and I didn't get sucked into that crap. It's totally unlike Guerrero to be flashy just to be flashy. His approach has typically been to build to his highspots in a logical way, so he's executing them because it makes sense to do them. Here, they're working all these mat-based sequences early on, but it's not really to establish anything or go anywhere. If anything, Dean Malenko is completely outworking Guerrero in this match. I love his bow and arrow into the pinfall attempt early on, and I love him dropkicking Eddy squarely in the ankle. I don't like Eddy no-selling that move, though.

Regardless of my criticisms, however, Eddy going at 40% of his capability is better than many workers going all out. He still finds a way to fit in a top-rope superplex, a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker, a great German suplex, a swinging DDT, a brainbuster, a frogsplash and a huracanrana. The problem isn't the highspots he's doing; it's the way that he's killing so much time between them all. There's way too much lying around between moves, and the internal logic of the match is all over the place, and I don't think they ever really stumble on anything that works. The match is often criticized for being slow, but slow can work if the selling is good. Slow can also work if the transitions are strong enough. Neither is really the case here. The third fall does see them turn up the volume, but this match wasn't lacking fucking sound, it was lacking fucking fury! The finish is a total copout, because it leaves the feud totally open, and both wrestlers leave ECW without anything really resolved.

Back to the crowd. Eddy and Dean did seem genuinely touched by the moment, and I'm sure the mutants thought they were doing the right thing. However, workers don't go out there with the result of getting applause. They go out there with the goal of getting heat, and this crowd totally shit all over this match with all the clapping and "please don't go" chants while they're working the match, as they seemed more interested in making it known how totally aware they are that wrestling is fake than paying respect to two guys that supposedly changed the face of wrestling in ECW. They don't pop for nearfalls, they don't respond to Eddy's subtle cheating tactics and that in itself is the ultimate irony and I'll explain why.

Our little "smark" subculture, or whatever you want to call it, is a novelty. I think some of us really know what we're talking about and some of us don't have a clue. I think those of us that are truly wise realize how little we actually know, and even if it doesn't always come across when I'm expressing my views, I do try to keep that in mind. I can talk critically about a match here, and I can talk about how great a spot is, or how great a wrestler's selling is, or how they needed to improve something, but I would never disrespect two guys trying to tell me a story by reminding them every step of the way that they aren't fooling anyone, especially when watching a match in person. ECW had its positive influences, no doubt, but one of the negative influences that carried over to the WWF and WCW was that fans were no longer content to focus on the ring. ECW created a breed of self-satisfying jackasses that talk on their cell phones during the matches; or wave because they see themselves on the Jumbotron; or hold up signs in some type of vain attempt to get their 15 seconds of fame; or think they're being respectful when they meet a wrestler if they call him by his real name. Remember when companies used to darken the arena, to a point where the only light was shining brightly on the match? Me neither. We should all remember that what we do is simply that -- what *we* do -- and if you want to show a wrestler how much you appreciate him, give him the reaction he's seeking. It'll make the point more than anything else you could possibly do.

"I hope this match is making great television" -- Joey Styles

You know, I hope we wind up having a lot of lurkers here, particularly blind ECW marks, just to read that, especially the last paragraph. Well put, Loss.

As for Eddy/JBL, I'm with Loss and SG: Watch it again, then again. I liked it the first go-around, but watched it again right away, and realized the stuff I missed the first go-around, or didn't totally get. (Example: JBL throwing Eddy into the table. The first time it looked like a good spot in that type of match, the second time, I recall more easily Eddy doing something similar and how this was more of a revenge spot for it, which worked well.) I respect Al's views of the match, at least, because unlike Keith, he didn't write off the match because Bradshaw was in it, and was at least honest in his lack of perspective with the latino crowd. All the more reason for a re-watching, however. :)

I am bumping this because I hope to God no one missed this the first time around like I did. I was talking to Loss and asked him why he didn't review the Eddy-Malenko match. His reply, "I did!"

This review also ties in nicely with the discussion of crowds currently going on in the Brawls thread.

• 10 months later...
Guest DylanWaco

Man, I love your reviews Loss even when I disagree with them, but I think you are absolutely totally wrong about the role of fans. Fans can react however they want. ECW fans consistently made shit seem great. They were as big a part of the show as the workers, and while I can see how that would be unappealing to some people, the notion that these are bad fans because they refuse to react to "properly" to what's being layed out is just insanely elitist and for worse than the annoying "you fucked up" chants.

Not saying there's a proper reaction. Just saying that I prefer fans that are buying what they're being sold, and I don't get that feeling from a lot of ECW. There's no "right" or "wrong", but I just don't care for it. It's like an audience full of Vince Russos.