Pro Wrestling Only

WWE considering making 24/7 a regular channel

Bix

Apparently in Wednesday's WON:

The company appears to be considering moving 24/7 from an on-demand PPV subscription type service to its own television channel. They are doing a marketing study which I sense was trying to present evidence to cable companies that people will switch from satellite (or to satellite) based on the ability to see the channel as a free service. Basically it seems to me to be a step in the direction Vince has talked about needing for years now, which is a WWE television channel. The key to having that channel with national clearance for old programs, is that if USA changes power and they don’t want wrestling anymore, or My Network goes down and nobody else is interested, they have a clearance for their programming.

If they do it realistically (charge the cable companies little to no money to get clearances), this could be pretty interesting. Plus, an actual channel would require them to unleash more content and that would be awesome. How much ad money could they get, though>

Advertising might not be as big of a deal as it might seem to be. There are many of these cable/satellite channels on which ads are either minimal or there are no ads at all, and for those on which no ads air, the company that owns the channel also owns all the footage rights of programs aired on it.

Given that WWE would own the right to all the footage aired on 24/7, its costs wouldn't be that great, so WWE could likely get away with few ads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Christ... I think I've been preaching this almost all decade. The problem is that Vince is chasing it at a lower ebb for pro wrestling. Not that it's not still a good/needed thing. But he should have done it instead of the XFL way back when.

John

It would have been tough though because they didn't own all the libraries they have now. They didn't really embrace their tape library and start honoring the past until the Flair DVD struck it big in 2003. Your point is a good one, as it would have been huge then, but they just didn't have the goods.

I wonder if USA, Sci Fi and MyNetwork would allow them to re-air Raw, SD and ECW later in the week if such a channel happened.