-
Posts
18681 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by El-P
-
I never realized WCW actually made the effort to transform Eaton into Lod Robert. That was awesome.
-
I think I already mentionned how Wolrd War II was really well booked and how it made the General de Gaulles the biggest babyface in France for decades, people are still stealing from his promos today. Even his short-lived heel turn during May 68 was a huge success and people throwing thrash and fighting in the streets really foreshadowed the nWo angle, at least during its first few months. Hogan stole a lot from him, and him jobbing to Jacques Rougeau in Montreal in 97 was really a tribute to the famous "Vive le Québec libre !" promo by De Gaulle to get a pop from this particular audience.
-
Who the fuck is Bruce Hart anyway except one of the biggest and most infamous bullshiter on the scene ? Man, this sounds as godawful as Diana's book.
-
This is the greatest article in the history of our sport.
-
Yeah, they did a few things afterward, like Michaels beating Cena on RAW in an epic match everyone remembers because it was one of those Shawn Michaels "classic".
-
[1996-12-02-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Ric Flair & Roddy Piper
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1996
I agree on what you say about Bret's promos. But Bret coming from WWF after getting screwed was the easiest guy to book in the world at this point, he was red hot, he had been fucked by "the other company". WCW needed some fresh blood on top and Bret was perfect. A feud with Hogan could write itself. Really, WCW was just totally incompetent with Bret, not to mention people who just didn't want to do business with him (how ironic that Flair was the one to put him over in his first match).- 12 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
[1996-12-02-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Ric Flair & Roddy Piper
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1996
Wasn't this the year of the awful Flair interview segment A Flair for the Gold or something ? Agree, Flair wouldn't be a good color man. I would disagree, since what I've seen of his WWE work looks like shit. The infamous WM Taker match is just an embarrassment to watch for a Flair fan like me. As far as WCW goes, I don't know, I don't remember if he was much better in 99 and 2000 than he was in 97. Agree, although Bret didn't help as he was dull as hell during this feud. But Bret's booking in the first months of 1998 is jaw dropping bad, the poor guy had no chance in hell to be anything relevant, it's fascinating how they did nothing with him and how he was settled with albatros like his in-laws (who didn't mean shit in WCW and weren't over at all) and Curt Hennig (not over, washed up, lazy, midcarder). I'm at mid April 98, and it's the first time Bret is featured as a player on Nitro, coming to Sting's aid and kicking the nWo ass by himself, then tagging with Sting against Savage & Nash on Thunder. I don't remember much about what's coming next, but I think it'll fall apart quite quickly with a heel turn or something... Yeah, Waltman was obviously thrilled to work with Flair, it should have been more fun than it was. I remember Flair having a suprisingly good match with Piper in 97.- 12 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
[1996-11-25-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels & Jose Lothario
El-P replied to Loss's topic in November 1996
Come on John, you know Shawn had the "flu" at Royal Rumble... Revisiting this era of Shawn's career is really amazing when you think how many times this guy didn't drop a belt in the ring.- 11 replies
-
[1996-12-02-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Ric Flair & Roddy Piper
El-P replied to Loss's topic in December 1996
I thought Flair looked older in the ring too from this point on.- 12 replies
-
- WCW
- Monday Nitro
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
Those were the days.
-
I love how Shane Douglas hooks both legs on Beulah to make the pin. What a douchebag move. I thought it worked really well, typical cool ECW bullshit match with crowd popping spots.
- 8 replies
-
- ECW
- Holiday Hell
- (and 7 more)
-
Yeah, it was a work. A very stupid one, but a work nonetheless. In a way it was the perfect work for Hotta since she's an unprofessionnal cunt and a bully so potatoing each other might be the only way to make her look decent. Really closer to the equivalent of Vader vs Cactus Saturday Night matches rather than a UFC fight. She looks even more incompetent in a real shoot than in a shoot-style work, which says a lot. AJW had some bizarre ideas about putting some of the girls in horrible shoot fights. I remember a young Shimoda in a shoot. I wonder what was the point of this. ARSION booked some shoot fight too, some were actually quite fun. I agree shoot fights in a wrestling promotions should get lumped into a Shoot-fight yearbook if that ever occurs, and worked shoot-style matches happening in shoot promotion should appear in wrestling yearbook. Maybe you should send some of these to Dave...
- 19 replies
-
- Pancrase
- Bas Rutten
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
That would take getting some fat guys with actual characters and not cookie cutter well built guys with short tights and crew cuts. It won't happen in the current environment.
-
Yes it does. First WM I saw was WM 8. I didn't miss one until 15. Then I was gone and only watched WM from the mid-late 00's. Time flies. And really, WM doesn't seem that special anymore despite the settings being much more spectacular than when I used to watch it (the dreaded 90's).
-
Come on Dan, coming from you who old me once that PRIDE was pro-wrestling.
- 19 replies
-
- Pancrase
- Bas Rutten
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
[1996-10-27-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Harlem Heat
El-P replied to Loss's topic in October 1996
It's a shame because WCW had an excellent tag team scene in 1996.- 6 replies
-
- WCW
- Halloween Havoc
- (and 10 more)
-
[1996-11-25-WWF-Raw] Interview: Shawn Michaels & Jose Lothario
El-P replied to Loss's topic in November 1996
Look at me, I'm at home with grandpa. No wonder people shit all over him at Survivor Series and embraced Sid.- 11 replies
-
Yeah, Luger's career really was boosted by his jump to WCW after a year doing nothing in WWF. Like you said, after the great victory on Nitro and his short title reign though, he crashed down and became dull as hell (despite still being over) and did nothing worthwhile until his "Total Package" heel turn in late 1999 I believe.
- 12 replies
-
- WCW
- World War 3
-
(and 7 more)
Tagged with:
-
Ok, I checked her out, well, it is totally ridiculous, she's a hot woman by any standart.
-
Maybe Natalya screwed Natalya. But yeah, what Ditch said, the Molly Holly bullshit was ridiculous. I don't know what Natalya looks like, but I have no trouble believing she's perfectly fine looking.
-
Which is also why it was an awesome promo.
-
It seems like they don't want stars anymore, they believe the WWE brand is the star. Then Rock shows up on Raw, and you see the difference it makes.
-
The rush? The fans? The love of the business? You could make the same argument for making movies. The love of the business would require a whole lot of money from Vince to get The Rock back on the road and bumping again after years in Hollywood. Making movies and working WWE is not exactly the same thing. And like Loss said, really, the only new guy he could work with would be Cena. He would dwarf anyone else and make them look like a bunch of jobbers. The only other match I can think of is a Rock vs Taker, but really, who want to see that in 2011 ?
-
The Rock has zero reasons to work even one match with WWE. He doesn't need the money at all. Returning full-time is not happening.
-
[1996-11-16-ECW-November to Remember] 2 Cold Scorpio leaves ECW
El-P replied to Loss's topic in November 1996
Great angle and great promos all around. "Goodbye Flash."- 5 replies
-
- ECW
- November To Remember
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with: