Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 20 7

goodhelmet

Didn't want to believe that Sheamus-Daniel was going to be a dark match but I guess I can see it on the DVD release.

Edge vs. Del Rio was better than i hoped for due to Del Rio going all out. I love working on a body part and using Edge's arm as the focus was all good for me. Add the big bumps from Del Rio and the hot ending and I was happy.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also liked Rhodes vs. Mysterio - lots of great stuff incorporating the mask - but it definitely didn't have the crowd like the Edge vs. Del Rio match despite also having good action.

My crazy theory? Being in such a huge stadium, I'm not sure if the live crowd could truly follow all the big spots involving Rhodes' clear mask. If you were in the highest seats, there's no way you could probably tell the mask was there, except for whatever you could see on the video screens.

That, and the fact that Cody Rhodes certainly doesn't have the following yet of most everyone else on this show. He did have a sizable amount of people cheering for him as the match progressed though.

Regarding Rock's promo - some people may crap on a long promo opening a major PPV, but the whole concept of an "opener" is to excite the crowd for the rest of the show, and the Rock certainly accomplished that.

Still would have definitely liked to see Sheamus vs. Bryan, and unfortunately it's going to be a short one on the DVD due to quickly being turned into the battle roya.

And man, can't wait for Cole and Lawler to leave the booth together after this match (based on reports that JR will call the last half of the show). Mathews has done a fine job and thankfully he's holding all the play-by-play together between Lawler and Cole's bickering.

ORton vs. Punk- Best match on thee show by far but it may have been hurt heat-wise since the best parts were the subtle ways that Punk destroyed the leg and Punk's facial expressions which as noted above, could not be seen in the cheap seats. Still, awesome match psychologically wise and on the 2011 MOTYC set.

Guest CompletePlayer

Regarding all these goofs booing Drew Carey - you sure as hell didn't boo Refrigerator Perry when he made the Hall of Fame and he wrestled in just as many battle royals as Drew Carey.

WWE put Refrigerator Perry in the HOF when they were in Chicago. No way will Chicago ever boo Refrigerator Perry.

Regarding all these goofs booing Drew Carey - you sure as hell didn't boo Refrigerator Perry when he made the Hall of Fame and he wrestled in just as many battle royals as Drew Carey.

WWE put Refrigerator Perry in the HOF when they were in Chicago. No way will Chicago ever boo Refrigerator Perry.

That's a good point I totally overlooked and didn't remember until after I posted.

Lawler vs. Cole - I thought the handshake spot would lead to Cole getting popped but I didn't know that Cole headbutting the Cole Mine would be so great. I thought the Cole Miine stuff was great but I really wanted Lawler to get in the ring alot sooner. I understand the psychology but Cole needed to get his ass kicked more before the tide turned. christ, Cole was on offense way too long and you could hear the crowd turn on the segment. If they wanted to have LAwler sell the whole match, they should have just done LAwler vs. Swagger with 5 minutes with Cole. Eh, it was fun watching Lawler punch Cole but this sucked. It was better than HArt vs. Mcmahon from last year but not by much.

Lawler vs. Cole - I thought the handshake spot would lead to Cole getting popped but I didn't know that Cole headbutting the Cole Mine would be so great. I thought the Cole Miine stuff was great but I really wanted Lawler to get in the ring alot sooner. I understand the psychology but Cole needed to get his ass kicked more before the tide turned. christ, Cole was on offense way too long and you could hear the crowd turn on the segment. If they wanted to have LAwler sell the whole match, they should have just done LAwler vs. Swagger with 5 minutes with Cole. Eh, it was fun watching Lawler punch Cole but this sucked. It was better than HArt vs. Mcmahon from last year but not by much.

I agree it was an awful match, and I totally agree that Cole was on offense far too much. But, by and large, I really had fun watching this whole segment - the awesome close up of Swagger's face when Austin's music hit as he was doing the pushups, Austin running Swagger off the ramp and driving around erratically at ringside on the 4-Wheeler, all of Cole's antics as the match was starting.

JR and Booker did great on commentary here as well.

Hilarious to see Lawler, a non-drinker, toasting with Austin after the match.

The other post-match stuff was just strange - Austin stunning Booker T I imagine may lead to something on Tough Enough? Maybe not. And the anonymous GM reversing the decision - was that necessary to get Lawler and JR as the lone duo in the booth?

Undertaker vs. HHH - Naylor said this would be the show stealer so we'll see. This match is right out of 2001. All of the bells and whistles of the Attitude era with the Spanich Announce Table and the big moves outside. On that back drop, it looks like HHH landed on his wrist and I think he is going Kawada style and working with a broken wrist. The match was intense but it was taking turns kicking out of the finishers. Similar to the Michaels' matches except those actually told the story of working the body part and then pulling out the finishers late in the match. Here, they do the finishers mid match. Probably a good thing because it creates drama early where they really would have none otherwise. Playing up on the rrole reversal form last year and even HBK-Flair was cool and I thought the Triple H Tombsone was the finish so HHH could end the streak and piss everyone off. However, that ending was the right one and not what I expected at all. Great tension and drama until the final tap.

I had mixed emotions about this throughout the match. I hated that it was sort of a slower-paced version of the second Michaels/Taker Mania match, where in this they essentially exchanged some awesome punches early on and then immediately started nailing each other with major moves outside the ring. Really just spot, sell, show replay for much of the bout - like a video game. Though, the moves themselves were a cool spectacle, and that backdrop Triple H took on the outside 10 feet to the floor was nuts.

Plus, the crowd has been conditioned to not really believe that the first or even second Pedrigree, a chokeslam, etc is going to end the match, so there's not much reaction to those nearfalls.

But man, I did a total about-face because the last 5-10 minutes of this was awesome and I really got into the drama of the story as this wound down. Weird though to have Triple H in the role of the youngster telling the old man to "stay down", considering I think most current fans would consider them to be of the same generation.