Pro Wrestling Only

1999 Recommendations

Loss

Use this thread to post recommendations for the yearbook.

I don't want to put requirements on making recommendations necessarily, but I will kindly ask a favor -- if you recommend something, if you could, maybe just include a brief reason that you're recommending it. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but just something for us to see why it should go on.

If you make recommendations that pique my curiosity, I will do my part to ask more follow-up questions to make sure I have a good understanding of why it was recommended.

In addition, I will use this thread to list matches I come across when looking through various lists that look interesting on paper to ask if anyone has seen them.

Thanks!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (01/22/99)

This is definitely at the opposite end of the normal Kawada/Misawa spectrum, but still, it is Misawa, Kawada, and pre-split All Japan.

1/24/99 – Rock vs. Mankind WWF I Quit

Brutal match. Felt like watching a snuff film there for a second.

Vader vs. Misawa 3-28-99 AJPW

Vader vs. Misawa 5-2-99 AJPW

Some of Vader's best work ever here. And God damn, Misawa makes getting beat look fashionable.

4/11/99 – Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. Raven & Saturn WCW

One of my favorite WCW tag matches ever.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi (6/11 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan) (AJPW)

This match is insane. Insanely awesome that is.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (07/23/99)

The final Triple Crown match between the two and a good one to boot.

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka vs. Taz – ECW “Anarchy Rulz” (9/19/99)

Taz is the champion for this three way but is the first to be eliminated, which still leaves us with Awesome & Tanaka to kill each other.

10/4/99 – Chris Benoit vs. Bret Hart WCW

I see the greatness of this match.

Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz (WWF No Mercy, Ladder Match, 10/17/99)

Started the trend of WWF tag team workers and highspot junkies falling from unusual heights. Some dislike that trend but I always found the chaotic car wreck style entertaining.

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka - ECW “November 2 Remember 99” (11/7/99)

Probably one of the best ECW title matches I've ever seen.

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka – ECW on TNN (12/24/99)

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka - ECW on TNN (12/31/99)

Both of these were awesome and on free television too.

Never seen - etc:

3-17-99 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW

4-10-99 Koji Kanemoto vs. Shinjiro Ohtani NJPW

5-31-99 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW

6-3-99 Shinjiro Ohtani vs. El Samurai NJPW

6-27-99 Koji Kanemoto vs. Minoru Tanaka NJPW

7-1-99 El Samurai vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW

1999 Assumptions that aren't mentioned by smkelly:

Vader vs Kobashi, 1/15

Burning vs Untouchables, AJ 3/6

Guerrera vs Blitzkrieg, WCW Spring Stampede

Vader vs Kobashi, CC final

DDP vs Sting, Nitro 4/26

Vader vs Misawa, 5/2

RVD vs Lynn, Living Dangerously

RVD vs Lynn, Hardcore Heaven

Untouchables vs Burning, AJ 10/23

Misawa vs Vader, AJ 10/30

CIMA, Curry & Super Boy vs Fleisch, Fujita & Shiryu 2, MPro 12/21

Recommendations

RVD vs Lynn, ECW on TNN 8/28 (aired 9/17): I liked the story they told, as Lynn tried to overcome being banged-up. More dramatic than the straightforward 'good athletes in a workrate match' stuff they did earlier in the year.

Other Japan

CIMA, SUWA & Fuji vs Hoshikawa, Yakushiji & Seno, MPro 1/10: The first couple Toryumon shows made a big splash, but this is WAY better than anything going on in Toryumon that year. Solid first half, and an absolutely stellar second. Seno, who went on to become the uber mediocre Daio Quallt, shines as the young whipping boy. CMAX show that they've got the goods despite their inexperience.

Hoshikawa & Yakushiji vs Delfin & Naniwa, MPro 1/13: A mix of comedy and lucharesu action. Might be a marginal selection, but IMO '99 is a weak-ish year for matches.

SUWA vs Dragon Kid, Toryumon 2/7: A brief introduction to both of them. SUWA really was the ideal opponent for Kid, who never quite became the star it was hoped he'd be.

Great Sasuke vs Magnum Tokyo, Toryumon 2/7: Hugely important match, as Tokyo gets to hang with Sasuke and thus makes Toryumon seem like a peer to MPro.

Battlarts vs FMW, 5 vs 5 elimination match, FMW 5/5: The Battlarts crew are hated by the FMW fans. This is not on par with WAR vs NJ, but it's the closest you'll get in 1999.

Kanemoto vs Mochizuki, NJ BOSJ '99: As I said in my '98 nominations, Kanemoto being a dick is good times. Well, he's a dick here.

Tenryu vs Hashimoto, NJ 6/8: Hashimoto returns from injury, and because this is Japan that means it's a decidedly different match from what they did at other times. In some ways it's a lesser match, but I think the story and their ability as performers overcomes the 'smallness'. Stiff (duh).

Ishikawa & Ikeda vs Joe Malenko & Carl Malenko (Carl Greco), Battlarts 6/9: Ishikawa and Ikeda doing heel tag work in Battlarts and reveling in it is such fun. This is (I think) Joe's last match in Japan until 2010, and man he is just SO GOOD. He doesn't even remember it, sadly.

Tamura vs Yamamoto, RINGS 6/24: Okay, this match. There are so many times where I nominate the same 2000s matches, the same early 1990s matches, and it kills me that a year like 1999 is always a total also-ran. I do think it's "weak" in comparison to 2000, but it has its moments. This one right here is one of the first matches I think of when the term "hidden gem" comes up. RINGS was on its last legs as a worked promotion, and they have to lower themselves to using Korakuen. But that means a packed, super-hot crowd for a super-hot match. This might be the best RINGS match, and it's certainly a MOTYC.

Liger & Sasuke vs Ohtani & Takaiwa, junior tag titles, 7/13: Not complete, so one can't say just how good it is, but what we get is lots and lots of ACTION.

Masato Tanaka vs Mr. Gannosuke, FMW 8/20: In a year where Russo-ism ran wild, this is as good as US-style booking gets. Fuyuki is the guest ref and his heel status is used in just the right amount to make this work. By '99, FMW was in a bit of a rut. These guys aren't good enough workers to do the same matches and have them stay fresh like the AJ crew (mostly) was able to do. This is the standout singles match from '99 FMW.

SUWA, Curry Man & Super Boy vs Taka, Magnum Tokyo & Minoru Fujita, MPro 8/22: In the same vein as the 1/10 tag, with Fujita in the loss post role. Lots of fun with the Curry gimmick, SUWA and Super Boy do their thing; this is an easy addition.

Survival Tobita vs Ken the Box, Saitama Pro 8/23: This is must-have and shouldn't need any more explanation.

Horiguchi vs Susumu (Yokosuka), Toryumon 9/14: Tricky tactics, and a breakout performance for two then-undercard workers.

Ohtani & Takaiwa vs Kanemoto & Tanaka, junior tag titles, NJ 10/11: BAM, finally the NJ junior crew delivers a MOTYC. Cool spots, hate, attitude, and it feels big enough to deserve its spot on a Tokyo Dome card.

All Japan

Kawada/Taue vs Burning, 1/7: Oddly enough, the last time we get the matchup.

Honda & Izumida vs Team FMW, 1/16 Honda & Izumida vs Team FMW, 2/13: I've got a soft spot for this one. Honda and Izu finally become relevant; Team FMW are very good babyfaces; Shinzaki bleeds buckets; the second match pays off the first.

Vader vs Taue, 3/6: Compact match with two big dudes hucking bombs.

Kobashi vs Akiyama, CC: Another year, another good match between them.

Kawada vs Hase, 5/2: Man does Kawada ever bump for Hase. Lordy.

Misawa & Taue vs Kawada & Kobashi, 6/4: This was the first iteration of the match I ever saw. So you can imagine how much THAT screwed me up. "Okay, so this Taue guy is Misawa's sidekick". Kawada/Kobashi is a really interesting team.

Burning vs Ace & Barton, 6/9: Bart Gunn... is good?!

No Fear vs Kobashi & Shiga, 7/4: Short, intense, and a much better intro for No Fear than their two big wins in June.

Kawada vs Takayama, 7/17: Also short, also intense.

Misawa vs Takayama, 9/4: This is an excellent preview of 2000s Takayama, and Misawa does a superb job of switching to a strike-focused style in this.

No Fear & Fuchi vs Burning, 10/9: Hey look! Fuchi! And he's... still really good in 6-mans! A more fleshed-out version of the July tag, setting up...

Burning vs No Fear, 10/30: Kobashi is SO PISSED that if this were anime his hair would go blonde.

Untouchables vs Vader & Smith, RWTL: A nifty hidden gem as Ogawa takes the bump of a lifetime and Smith manages to hold up his end despite being an eternal loss post.

Burning vs Hansen & Taue, RWTL final: Aw yiss. Hansen and Kobashi switch roles from the early '90s and Taue is Best Possible Giant Baba. This feels like it's Hansen's last big match, and it probably would have been had the split not happened. Crowd luvs them some babyface Hansen.

Burning vs Hansen & Taue, RWTL final: Aw yiss. Hansen and Kobashi switch roles from the early '90s and Taue is Best Possible Giant Baba. This feels like it's Hansen's last big match, and it probably would have been had the split not happened. Crowd luvs them some babyface Hansen.

This is not one of the "best" matches I've ever seen, but it is definitely a personal favorite. It really feels like it was supposed to be "Hansen's last hurrah" as a big time top guy, then the NOAH split sort of forced that out the window. But the crowd reactions alone would get this on the set - the crowd turning briefly on Kobashi for beating on Hansen is a fantastically surreal moment for a long time All Japan fan. Bonus: Hansen doing a really cool, low key post match "I'm getting too old for this shit" kind of promo, and him walking out to the tour bus after with a bunch of the hardcore fans still there to send him off even in defeat. Just a fucking awesome moment that absolutely gave me goosebumps.

Mariko Yoshida vs. Mika Akino (ARSION, 1/17)

Mariko Yoshida vs. Hiromi Yagi (ARSION, 2/18)

Mariko Yoshida vs. Yumi Fukawa (ARSION, 5/4)

Yoshida channels her inner Volk Han and carries these three to their best matches ever. Piles of cool matwork but what props them up to MOTYC level is Yoshida's selflessness in putting them over as threats. Akino, Yagi and Fukawa were all good workers at the time (especially amazing in Akino's case having debuted only six months earlier) - but on the surface none would have a prayer against someone of Yoshida's stature (reigning QofA champ and all that). Yoshida turns each potential mismatch on its head by selling big at the right times, creating the kind of doubt that makes for some entertaining near falls/subs. All are highly recommended, particularly the last two.

Thanks, I definitely want to include plenty of Yoshida.

Is there any additional second-tier stuff from her that you'd also recommend? Since '99 was a less stellar year than some others, we'll probably have room for some other footage too.

If there's any case at all for Yoshida being best in the world in '99, I'd be interested in maybe 5-6 more recommendations at a minimum, if they're out there. If she has no case, no need.

Also, what Big Japan needs to go on? Any Osaka Pro? What about the smaller Joshi promotions, like Jd' and NEO? I've seen only one LCO tag in ARSION, but I loved it and I'm sure there's more where that came from.

Also, is '99 when Muto was doing death matches and had an absurd American businessman gimmick? Am I imagining things or did that really happen?

He faced Onita on 8/28/99 as Muta, with Onita doing a Muta ripoff. Mostly (that I can tell) Mutoh was doing a battle over nWo Japan with Chono, leading to Chono forming Team 2000 at the start of 2000.

I could drag and dump a lot of ECW thoughts I guess, but I think Will might have most of that covered. I will say if you guys can find the Fabs v. Dundee/Lawler match on disc that is available on youtube you really should include it. Great match with a nice role reversal and a cool atmosphere with Lawler trolling fans into getting thrown out.

Masato Tanaka vs Mr. Gannosuke, FMW 8/20: In a year where Russo-ism ran wild, this is as good as US-style booking gets. Fuyuki is the guest ref and his heel status is used in just the right amount to make this work. By '99, FMW was in a bit of a rut. These guys aren't good enough workers to do the same matches and have them stay fresh like the AJ crew (mostly) was able to do. This is the standout singles match from '99 FMW.

Tanaka/Gannosuke was awesome but strongly disagree on the bolded part. Don't have time right now to put up a recomendation list so i'll do it later but FMW was having a great year in 99. Like I wouldn't even put the 5/5 battarts elim in the top 10.

Thanks, I definitely want to include plenty of Yoshida.

Is there any additional second-tier stuff from her that you'd also recommend? Since '99 was a less stellar year than some others, we'll probably have room for some other footage too.

Unless there is a BatBat guy who had a really great year, Tajiri was the best guy in the World in 99 for my money and yes I'm counting the AJPW guys. Guido might even be my number two.

Honestly Loss, unless you want to include it for the sake of comparison to previous matches between them, I'd leave off the Misawa/Kobashi Triple Crown match from June. It will eat up a lot of space, and they've done far better. Hell, their October tag titles matches leaves it in the dust. The same thing with the July Misawa/Kawada match, their January match leaves that one far behind, unless you'd want to include it as a comparison.

As far as recommendations:

Everything involving the Shane McMahon/X Pac feud, leading up to 'Mania.

The Chyna turn on DX, the St Valentines Day Massacre HHH vs. Chyna tag match, and any other promos and such leading to HHH turning heel with her at 'Mania.

I nominated for Will's ECW comp, but I'll throw it out here too, the Dudley Boys pre match antics at Heatwave '99

One more, although it's probably not nearly as funny as I remember it being when I was sixteen.

The DX interview from the Saturday night RAW special, where Billy Gun complains that he doesn't have a match at St Valentine's Day Massacre, and shows he has on a referee shirt and Road Dogg yells "Oh, you're gonna work at Foot Locker!"

• 3 weeks later...

I would go to bat for The Hollys v. Acolytes match from Sunday Night. I'm pretty sure it was billed as a Texas Tornado match and if I'm not mistaken it aired on Halloween. Match is not great, but it is really vicious and in a year where the WWF product was mediocre at best, it has allows stood out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching some 99 Blitzkrieg over the last couple of days and there are two matches I would argue strongly for and a third that I would like to see make the set as it is brief and exceptionally well worked.

The two matches I think for sure should make it are his debut v. Rey (first week of Feb I think) and a tag from Thunder with him an Kaz Hayashi v. Silver King/Juvy. They Rey match is just an extremely dynamic match, with Rey actually trying to ground Blitz being part of the story and both guys hitting some insane shit. It goes less than ten minutes from bell to bell and is probably one of the better non-ECW matches I've seen from the States out of 99. The tag match may be even better. Aside from a strange bit of miscommunication in the last few minutes that is saved by Hayashi almost killing himself on an insane Asai spot this is really a tremendous match with two extended heat sections, a hot crowd, really fun heel work from Kaz and Blitz and Silver King looking like he is having the time of his life in a U.S. ring.

The more "I would like to see it, but totally get why it wouldn't make the cut" match is Van Hammer v. Blitzkrieg from Sept. Maybe six minutes long, but very fun big man v. little man wrestling, with some neat cut off spots and some different looking stuff from both guys. Probably the best Van Hammer match ever if that matters, but I think it is more noteworthy to show how fun a worker Blitz was at such a young age even against a dude like Hammer.

He also has a very good match with Malenko from that year and a good t.v. match with Juvy to go with the SS99 match (to go along with the four way that I assume got enough pimpage via Meltz and co. to be an "automatic" pick) that I would at least consider.

Also - and I assume this is obvious - but Hak v. Bigelow from SS99 has to make the set.

There are matches and parts of matches where he doesn't look good. In the tag I mention above he really hurts it by having an awkward sequence with Silver King, which keeps the match from being "holy shit great" despite being excellent up to that point. Having said that I thought he tried harder to inject certain character tricks, gestures and mannerisms than most guys that would go on to ape his spot heavy style. I think he's a guy who eventually could have gotten really great in the right setting.

Couple more 99 WCW matches worth looking at are La Park v. Eddy from 7/1/99 and Lenny Lane v. Kaz Hayashi from Fall Brawl. The Eddy v. Parka match is not blowaway great, but it is a very well worked match, that gets a good bit of time and showcases both guys well. Parka takes some neat bumps, brings the schtick, takes over with a chair and Eddy's wild sprinting comeback finish was cool. Most importantly for the purposes of this set it gives you a look at two guys who were quietly putting on quality matches every week while just being lost in the booking gaps. Hayashi v. Lane is probably the best singles match of Lenny's career and was probably the last really good WCW cruiserweight singles match for a year a half. Hayashi is fucking awesome with his big spots and pacing here and Lenny and Lodi actually work well around that. Some great nearfalls and probably a good piece of evidence for the "Hayashi was one of the best in the World" theorists. I think Silver King/La Parka v. Kendall Windham/Curly Bill was a super fun match from Saturday Night too, but I'm not sure it really fits on a yearbook set.

I'm not sure of the exact date, but I'd guess August of '99. There was an angle on Thuder with Steiner and Sid beating down someone, maybe Perry Saturn. Benoit saves and cuts a decent promo telling them "You wanna throw your weight around? Well the crippler and Perr Saturn wanna throw your weight around!"