Pro Wrestling Only

Buddy Rose !

Dylan Waco

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm new here. I was a kid in the Portland area for most of Buddy's prime years here. I think the thing that Buddy does better than everyone else, is that he has a very deep bag of tricks - little things he can do to tell the story, make the crowd love him or hate him, or his opponent - and he can do any of them at any time. He was years ahead on studying his own video, which helped a ton - and Portland's weekly circuit was amenable to working the same match three times in the same week, which also had to help polish and fine-tune his skills.

Last time I saw Buddy was in about 2002, when he appeared and worked at an ECCW show in Vancouver, Washington (which is near Portland, not Canada). When Buddy got on the mic, he talked about his deep connection to the area: "I've lived in Vancouver, Washington! I had an apartment in Vancouver, Washington! Hell, I've been in JAIL in Vancouver, Washington!" Fantastic stuff. He was easily 380 lbs by that point, and I feared for his ring attire. He was still surprisingly athletic, but worked a limited match, still very effective because of a hundred tiny details.

Bit behind because I was out of town so today I do two and then go back to my regular schedule.

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty!

Buddy Rose v. Steve Pardee - Portland TV 12/18/82

Early on Buddy was an absolute offensive machine here. He fucking kills Pardee with a brutal knee and stomp and then hits an awesome dropkick off of a rope running exchange. Buddy is a guy who is rightfully known for his bumping, timing and schtick so it is cool to be able to point to that flurry as an example of how strong an offensive wrestler he could be as well.

Pardee comes back off a drop down spot with a nice arm drag. Cool spot with Buddy going for a chop and whiffing wildly. Pardee does a nice job controlling the arm and they did a really cool spot with Buddy hitting a drop toehold off the ropes but still being able to get into position to go back to the hammerlock. Rose hits a nice suplex for a near fall and follows this up by just pitching Pardee to the floor.

Pardee fights his way back in and hits a sunset flip for a near fall and then catches Buddy with a forearm off a leapfrog. Buddy takes his crazy full rotation bump into the corner and then gets posted when he leans up for his trouble. Pardee reverses an inside out suplex attempt but Buddy hooked the leg on impact and scored the fall with a roll up. Really awesome tv main event. Post-match angle with Pardee getting piledriven on a chair and Billy Jack making the save was awesome too.

Again this is cool as you get to see Buddy work as an offensive dynamo. This is really different from their equally awesome match from 85 that I already reviewed.

Buddy Match Review Twenty-One!

Buddy Rose/Matt Borne v. Brett Sawyer/Tommy Rogers - Portland TV 5/29/82

This is a pretty important match from a storyline perspective and a match that I seem to like more than others. Buddy and Borne were kind of a heel dream team coming in and Bret/Rogers were really over as the spunky, young, babyface tag team so on paper this is a very strong match up.

Buddy does his kip up routine and gets smashed up by Rogers for his troubles. Borne and Rose took over on Rogers, with Rose hitting his sweet back elbow. Heel control segment is really good with some stiff knee drops, some great looking suplexes and some really nice double team moves behind the refs back leading to the opening fall. It's something of a dominating performance, but it doesn't leave you thinking the babyfaces are totally irrelevant or worthless.

Second fall starts with the babyfaces in control and Borne ends up doing a nice weeble wobble and frantic sell job off an atomic drop. Sawyer hits some great dropkicks and Rose ends up tied up in the ropes. Rose takes a pounding and does his awesome backwards between the rumps head first bump!

Rose ends up "accidentally" kicking Borne in the guts in the corner but they appear to make ammends. Then Borne accidentally does a diving double axe onto Buddy which was shockingly well done. DISSENSION!

Sawyer cleans house and there is a great sequence with Rose taking a nasty shot off of a dropkick and then a huge bump over the top that results in Buddy arguing with an old lady in the front row. Borne ends up taking over with a nasty arm takedown and then fucking kills Sawyer with a forearm leading to another "accidental" shot between the heels. At this point it is pretty obvious where things are going, but you really want to see how they get there.

Interesting hope spot with Sawyer locking on a full nelson and Rogers accidentally hitting him when trying to take a shot at Rose. I thought that was kind of cool as you now have a heel team that seems to be imploding and a face team hinting at trouble as well.

Sawyer hits an awesome looking double sunset flip for a hope spot but gets cut off and Borne knees him in the face. Sawyer gets the hot tag off of a floatover escape and Rogers lights up Rose and goes for a top rope splash but Borne gets a cheapshot from the apron and Tommy face plants. Rogers escapes a double team with a double dropkick and then Borne accidentally dropkicks Rose and the faces take a really good second fall.

Third fall starts with babyfaces in control working a headlock. Really strange sequence with a monkey flip by Sawyer and then an attempt at another monkey flip that is sort of half way countered. Not really a flub but an odd stalemate moment.

Sawyer ends up battling and hitting a suplex and then Buddy goes up for a diving knee but hits Borne leading to the faces taking the fall and the match.

Post-match Borne turns on Rose and destroys him with a chair.

Damn good match that told an awesome story and had a good post-match angle. I can see how some people would think the interplay with the heels overwhelmed the match, but I disagree. In some respects it's one of my favorite Portland matches period

Buddy Match Review Number Nineteen!

Ed Wiskowski/Killer Brooks/Buddy Rose/Roddy Piper v. Ron Starr/George Wells/Hector Guerrero/Adrian Adonis (Elimination Match) - Portland TV 4/7/79

Love the opening of this with Piper being theatrical as fuck in every motion, Hector running off some nice spots, all the faces getting some early action, and Adonis hitting an epic looking diving elbow off the top to Piper's arm. Holy shit Ron Starr's exchanges with Rose and Wiskowski were really great with both guys taking huge theatrical bumps and flying around the ring wildly for everything. Disturbing moment as George Wells appears to fuck Wiskoski's face, which I suppose may shed some light on the fears that were represented later in the Col. Debeers gimmick.

Piper gets crotch posted, but eventually fights his way back to the heel corner tagging in Brooks while clutching his balls. Seriously Piper sells the fuck out of this ball shot and there is a great camera shot of him hunched over clutching his junk while Rose kneels down to console him.

Heels end up taking turns in rapid succession working over Ron Starr. They do a great job isolating him in the corner and when he finally does his scramble bit for the hot tag it is opposite Buddy and comes off really well. Wells comes in and makes a run with the heels bumping huge for it but Wiskowski hits a diving headbutt to Wells as he tries to cover Rose and the heels take the first fall.

Second fall starts off with Adonis in peril but Hector comes in and lights up Piper who again is at his theatrical best. Hector ends up in the ropes with the heels beating the piss out of him, kneeing him in the head and crotching him behind the refs back. Hector also takes one of the more thuddish face plant bumps I can remember. They end up working over Hector's ribs violently and Hector takes the fall and gets eliminated.

Next stanza starts off with a really great nearfall off of a sunset flip from Starr and then a great sequence of wild bumps off the apron from dropkicks. The babyfaces actually isolate Brooks, including a cool desperation double team off of a semi-flubbed spot. Brooks gets counted out after an accidental headbutt from Wiskowski and the heels tease dissension. Brooks ends up attacking Wiskowski and Rose attacks Brooks from behind with Piper siding with Brooks.

The action was really great in this and I liked the angle with the heels splitting at the end, though the failure to pay off on the totality of the gimmick was a bit annoying. Still this was awesome.

Buddy Rose/Wiskowski post-match interview as Brooks gets stretchered out. VQ here is really shitty. Technically Adonis and Starr win the match at this point as Rose and Wiskowski get counted out mid-promo.

The whole thing rules pretty hard.

Yeah, this is fucking great. It's been a while since I watched it, but some of the stuff you mentioned rings a bell. I really like the dog collar match with Brooks that this sets up, and unless you've already talked about it and I've missed it, I'd be interested in hearing what you think/thought of that. Isn't necessarily a "great match," but I remember them doing a bunch of cool shit I hadn't seen in any other dog collar match (or strap match or bullrope match or whatever other match where the participants are tied/chained together).

I really need to pick up where I left off with Will's Buddy set however many months ago.

Dylan (or anybody else that's watched this stuff) what would you say is the best Rose/Adonis singles match?

I watched the 9/1/79 match last night, and while it was good, it felt like it was setting up something that could be awesome. They ran a great post-match bit where someone (a fan...whether they were a plant or not, I really don't know) throws a pen at Buddy, so Buddy uses it to stab Adonis in the eye. Which I loved considering the match ended with a Rip Rogers run in after Buddy and Adonis were trying to tear each others' eyes out.

The rematch appears to get plenty of time and that's next on the disc, so I'll probably watch that later.

Buddy Match Review Twenty-Two!

Buddy Rose/Doug Somers v. Scott Hall/Curt Hennig - AWA TV 5/17/86

Fun to watch the early rope running stuff with Hennig and Rose as they are just absolutely perfect in execution. I'm not going to lie, the stuff with Somers and Hall was fine but I was far more excited to see Buddy and Hennig comes back in and lock up on a cool ground exchange. You can really see how much Curt loved to work with Rose, who he regarded as the absolute best.

Cool transition as Buddy tried to back Hennig into his corner and reach for a blind tag but Hennig reversed course only for Buddy to break the hold, tag Somers and Somers immediately fall to an armdrag. Buddy is livid at how the match is going and starts to climb the ropes but Hall shakes them from his corner and Buddy crotches himself for a huge pop. That's a bit of a Buddy staple but always set up in a really fun way.

Hennig goes FIP and takes some nice bumps. I really liked the sunset flip hope spot with Hall trying to pull the rope away from Buddy so he couldn't break the momentum.

Hennig does a cool vault over Buddy and hot tags Hall. Hall puts Buddy up in a chokehold as Hennig hits a running dropkick to Somers.

Col. Debeers shows up and argues with Hall and Buddy ambushes him posting him from behind. The heels are awarded the titles which was weird the first time I saw this, because I didn't know the title could change hands on a DQ.

The heat section needed to be longer and fuck Scott Hall for being a worthless piece of shit and not wanting to job to Rose/Somers via fall, but this was still a good match.

I watched both of the Adonis bouts, and I got them confused. To me the 1st one of the 2 was the better match. The 2nd bout had some cool stuff, but match one was superior. It was cool seeing Rose work the stomach of Adonis in the 1st 2 falls. How many wrestlers can work the stomach and make it compelling? Well Buddy Rose can. Plus Adonis was great with his facials and selling. The 1st 2 falls were full of greatness. The 3rd fall wasn't much, but how Rose went after the eye was really awesome. I really dug Adonis's big knee from the top rope was great and a big move to set up the spinning toehold. Both guys really worked hard. The 2nd match was good, but in my opinion it gets outclassed by the 1st one.

Buddy Match Review Twenty-Three!

Buddy Rose/Doug Somers/Larry Zbyszko v. Mike Rotunda/Jimmy Snuka/Steve Pardee - AWA 5/26/86

Man Sherri is a great second as her rah-rah act for Rose is just wonderful. She was underrated as a worker, and really underrated as a second as she added a lot to every act she was with and Rose/Somers was really her first major act IIRC.

Rose is a huge asshole early, doing his cartwheel escape and spitting at someone off camera. Pardee wagging his ass at Rose off of Rose's own monkey flip spot is apparent a staple of Rose/Pardee exchanges but it's something I find amusing everytime. The spinebuster out of Thesz press attempt was pretty sweet and something you don't see..well..ever.

I really liked Zbyszko in this too as he has to be begged to come in at all, then comes in for ten seconds, tags out and then goes to shit talk at Trongard while Snuka no sells shots to the head and kicks Roses's ass.

Pardee goes face in peril and this segment includes some cool cut off spots. I really loved Somers backing him into a corner to keep him away from his corner at one point and Rose cutting off access with a chop that he bumped huge for was pretty sweet too. Rose does a hope step taunt after hitting his back elbow which was great but Pardee ends up reversing a suplex and gets the tag to Rotundo.

Heels bump all over the place at this point and Buddy ends up tied up into the ropes which leads to a fucking great spot with Somers getting whipped into him and Rose taking his crazy backwards bump through the ropes. Snuka and Pardee hit some fun offense off the ropes but Pardee whiffs on a dropkick and the heels lock him into the corner and beat him senseless.

Ref Scott LeDoux tries to temper shit but the heels won't listen and he ends up back dropping Larry to the floor for a massive pop, DQing the heels right after. This was pretty god damned fun. Rotundo could have been replaced by anyone, but every body else in the match served a unique purpose and this is something people will see on the AWA Set.

One thing I will say about Buddy is when he is in multiple people matches is that he has the Michael Jordan factor. Where even when interesting things are happening in the ring you still are watching Buddy. I remember going to a Bulls game live against the Spurs, and all I did was watch Jordan, even if he was just standing at half court when someone was shooting free throws. The reason your eyes are glued to those guys you are expecting something amazing from them and are afraid to miss it by turning your attention away from them.

Buddy Rose vs. Jimmy Snuka (SF 8/26/78)

I watched this tonight and this is a total blast. Rose was awesome here and made Snuka look like one of the best around. Like Dylan has mentioned in prior Buddy matches we get some awesome rope running spots. Snuka does some nice looking leapfrogs off these spots. Later in the bout we see Buddy take some of the best arm drags from Snuka. Buddy got so much air off of them. Pretty much Snuka controls the bout by working the arm. Snuka doesn't do anything too engaging but Buddy sells his ass off here and his facials are tremendous. Now when Buddy takes control he works on Snuka's back. Now the work here is great, and does a lot of great stuff aimed on the back. We head toward the finish and Snuka captures him in his Full Nelson. The Full Nelson is Snuka's finish. The bell expires and we get a 15 minute time limit draw. Afterwards Snuka is killing Rose with the Full Nelson.

This was a great studio bout where Snuka controls about 60-70% of the bout and looks like he is going to beat Rose when the bell expires. This was a perfectly executed studio bout to build to a big pay day at the Cow Palace. To top it off we get a great Rose promo saying he had Snuka right where he wanted him, and how he was going to use the ropes to spring off for the win. The whole presentation here was gold.

Buddy Rose vs. Jimmy Snuka (SF 8/26/78)

To top it off we get a great Rose promo saying he had Snuka right where he wanted him, and how he was going to use the ropes to spring off for the win. The whole presentation here was gold.

This brings up something else that Buddy was great at (although I think it was more common throughout the industry 30 years ago). He uses the promos to talk about what happened in the ring during the last match, and to focus attention on what will happen in the ring in the next. This is in contrast to the current fashion of using promos to express intensity, or to provide some reason for wrestling beyond 'because we are professional wrestlers'. Buddy is compelling to listen to no matter what he says, and while he's got your attention for that 2 minute promo, he's going to make sure you really watch the stuff he's doing in the 20 minute match.

Gonna catch up today...

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty-Four!

Buddy Rose/Rip Oliver v. Bret Sawyer/Rocky Johnson - Portland TV 7/10/82

In some ways Rocky is the perfect opponent for Buddy as Rocky is quintessential "athlete" wrestler. He is also a guy who has five really cool spots that stop being cool after the second or third time you see them, unless someone is around to really get them over. Well Buddy is a guy who can get other guys shit over and he is great at playing "surprisingly athletic guy, falling victim to superior athleticism of more serious/trained athlete."

The first manifestation of this in the match was really great as Buddy escapes a monkey flip attempt by cartwheeling around it. That is standard Buddy and gives him a chance to be a cocky douche. Rocky follows this up by escaping from a Buddy monkey flip by landing flat on his feet. Buddy was proud of his impressive display of athleticism - but he's no Rocky Johnson and is not happy about this. This feeds directly into a great criss cross spot (no one was better at those than Buddy) which results in Buddy taking a back body drop and promptly claiming that he too had landed on his feet when he clearly hadn't. Rip ends up coming in and back body dropping Rocky - who of course lands on his feet as Buddy looks livid with frustration on the apron.

Bret and Rocky take turns dropping double axes on Oliver who hits a few short rights and tags Buddy back in. Buddy hit some big shoulder tackles off the ropes but ends up getting taken over on by Sawyer and the faces go to work on his arm. Rocky gets himself isolated in the heel corner and goes FIP. This all builds to a great finish to the first fall as Rose is great selling befuddlement at Rocky's rolling through escapes before eating a dropkick and sunset flip for the pin. Really the perfect ending for the first act of this one.

Opening of second fall is awesome as Rose goes for a headlock and Rocky slides out over and over and Rose just looks absolutely perplexed and appalled by this. Rose tries to escape from a Rocky headlock and ends up face planting himself. Rose can not outslick Rocky and he hates him for it. So he knees Rocky right in the guts coming off the ropes and Johnson goes face in peril again.

Strangely the heels work a nervehold. Even stranger Oliver's working of it is a lot more spirited than Rose's was. Rocky goes for a comeback but gets caught with a back elbow coming off the rope for a near fall. Rocky makes the tag twice but both times the ref misses it and the heels end up taking the second fall. Pretty neat to see the old "ref misses the hot tag" spot actually resulting in the faces dropping a fall.

Third Fall starts out hot with Sawyer hitting a great dropkick on Oliver, followed by Buddy and Sawyer trading missed dropkicks. Dr. D shows up when Rose goes up top and knocks him off, then takes him to the floor and posts him. Rose bleeds big time and the match gets thrown out.

Finish is kind of annoying because everything before that was really great and well laid out. But this is about as good a job as I've ever seen of someone getting over Rocky Johnson - or anyone else for that matter - as super skilled, superior athlete.

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty-Five!

Buddy Rose v. Curt Hennig - Portland TV 7/3/82

Hennig has a hurt leg coming in so naturally Rose ends up taking a huge flip bump into the ropes early and Hennig goes to town on his knee to even things up. The early leg work was a lot of fun as Buddy sells his ass off and took several theatrical bumps to set up various hold and attacks from Hennig. Kind of a funny spot with Rose trying to pull Hennig to the floor to scramble in but he ends up getting trapped and has his leg smashed into the steel post several times. Buddy ends up giving up to a half crab to end a very fun first fall.

2nd Fall sees Rose bail out right away and hobble around on one leg before getting trapped in a half crab again. Really cool moment with Hennig shoving Rose own foot into his mouth.

Hennig stays aggressive even with Rose in the ropes as it is no DQ, but Rose gets in a couple of shots at Hennigs knee and ends up taking over, including some chairshots to the knee. Hennig comes back jettisoning Rose to the floor and working in on Buddy's knee.

I really liked the spot with Rose bailing to the floor here as Hennig is over aggressive and this time gets cut and takes a chairshot into his knee to lose momentum. Rose locks on a half crab center ring and Hennig throws punches and elbows to the back of Buddy's knee joints trying to break the hold but Rose sits down on it and wins the fall. Really good fall, with very well done momentum swings.

3rd fall has kind of a fun beginning as they start out on a tentative lock up, but Hennig suckers him in and beats Rose's knee with a chair and just lights him up. Buddy cut shim off with one of the nastiest eye rakes ever and goes to work on Hennig's leg on the post but Dr. D comes out for the non-finish after cheapshotting Rose.

Stupid finish to an otherwise really great match match. The psychology, timing, consistency and struggle in this rank right up there with anything I've seen from anywhere. And Hennig was really green as grass in a lot of ways.

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty-Six!

Jay Youngblood & Joe Lightfoot vs. Rip Oliver & Buddy Rose - Portland TV 11/8/80

First fall was a lot of fun. Lightfoots quick escapes worked really well and Oliver was taking the babyface offense like a champ. Buddy fleeing in terror every time Youngblood even moved toward him was great. Finishing senton was pretty cool too.

The early work in the second fall is based off of a headlock but I really liked how they worked it as Oliver was good working unique escape attempts from the bottom keeping it interesting. Oliver eventually breaks free and Rose comes in to work over Lightfoot. His taunts are great and his offense is sharp.

Lightfoot's FIP is pretty good almost entirely because of heels who work really deliberately on offense, cover for a flub of his well, and just generally amp up their act. Seriously I fucking LOVED the way Rose worked in this fall as everything he did looked like it was done with maximum impact. Lightfoot had some good hope spots too. Crowd went batshit for Youngblood who lights up Rose. Lightfoot is tagged back in but misses a big dropkick and Rose wins with his spinning backbreaker.

I didn't mind the third fall starting out with Lightfoot in peril and Rose was good with the taunts, but there is a pretty awful back body drop spot in here that sort of takes the steam out of things. Thesz press near fall/hope spot on Rose was kind of awkward but cool, though the subsequent hot tag tease was kind of botched up.

Lightfoot just looked really sloppy in the third fall in general. On top of it the heat section really seemed to drag. Once Youngblood came in things got hot and Rose starting taking some of his classic big bumps. The finish was clever, and Buddy cleaned up some of the mistakes well. This is more like two-thirds of a really good match, than a really good match, but it's still another example of Buddy being the man.

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty-Seven!

Buddy Rose/Doug Somers v. The Midnight Rockers - AWA TV 1986

This was from the Showboat and is one of the shorter matches from the feud. Will described it as the "cliff notes version" of their other great matches and I don't disagree with that really, but it's still a really good tv match.

The early going is great as they have a push up exchange pre-lock up which always gets the crowd amped. Watching Rose work fast paced spots and matwork even at this point you realize he was a total natural as he was totally out of shape in look but still aces in the ring.

Somers ends up getting worked over and the Rockers hit a nice splash on his arm. Somers pushes Marty into the corner but accidentally decks Buddy who takes a huge bump damn near into the first row. That was one of those Buddy staples, that didn't happen every match, but every time he did it it would get you right out of your seat.

Jannetty ends up going face in peril and man alive are the heels great. Rose hits an awesome spinning back elbow. Really awesome strike exchange with Marty and Somers that ends with an eye rake which is something I mark for every time. Marty wins a war for a suplex and tags out but ends up back in and going back on the defensive.

Cool spot as the heels actually successfully whipped the faces into each other which NEVER works. Somers takes a huge bump off the top and Marty hits a crossbody for the finish.

Good, short match, with all parties looking pretty damned great.

Buddy Match Review Number Twenty-Eight!

Battle Royal - AWA TV 1986(?)

I grant that is bizarre to review a battle royal, and this will not be a traditional review. This is actually the exact text of what I wrote nominating it for the AWA Set. Buddy was one of the two real stars of the match, the other being Hennig. And it is probably the best none Royal Rumble, battle Royal I've ever seen.

The opening graphic run for this with Japanese overdub was great. Silo Sam or whatever the fuck showing up ruled. Debeers gets his mustache used against him by the Rockers. A sparring session breaks out in the early going. The Blaster is in the match. Silo chasing around Buddy Rose was hilarious. The big eliminations of Larry, Blackwell and Debeers were well milked and had huge heat. Buddy being left with two Russians against Gagne, Rockers and Hennig and begging off in the corner was great. Marty eliminates himself after Buddy holds on to the top rope on a crossbody attempt. The fucking Russians accidentally headscissor each other. Shawn does a skin the cat spot eliminating Gordenko but stupidly eliminates himself too. Buddy does his fucking backward head bump in a fucking battle royal! Buddy finally gets eliminated on a huge bump over the top and it comes down to Hennig and Smirnoff of all people. Hennig gets posted and blades. He sells some, makes a reversal and then Smirnoff takes a shockingly huge bump off of a dropkick for the Hennig win. I thought this was a shit ton of fun. Seriously one of the most fun matches I've watched.

Watched the entire second disc of the set yesterday, and I said "Buddy was a better promo than I thought" earlier in the thread, and.... I think he's better than I thoguth after thinking what kind of promo he was (or something). Really loved the Snuka one and the interview where he was talking about beign compared to Ray Stevens.

Not sure what my favourite match of the disc was, but the Snuka match was better than i thought it'd be and probably the best Snuka singles I've seen. LOVED the match with Mando as well; thought Buddy was the perfect stooging dick to Mando's Mexican good-guy-who-can-do-the-moves-that-you-can't fury. I need more Mando. Watching a really young Tenryu (it WAS him wasn't it?) wrestle in San Fransisco as a sort of rookie underdog was a little weird.

The hyped match with Ventura- was it not taped/didn't air or was it took sucky to put on the set?