Pro Wrestling Only

Buddy Rose !

Dylan Waco

Obviously I got lazy to the point where it isn't really salvageable to do my plan of a review every couple of days. I will still be tossing some reviews in here though and think this could be a good reference thread when the voting hits next year so I'm going to do some data dumps from his WWF run where at least we have same figures. I also wanted to drop this comment from Meltzer I found in an infamous Ole Anderson HoF thread from Classics:

Buddy Rose is someone that nobody would call a Hall of Famer. Buddy was the No. 1 guy in his territory for something like 8 years, headlined in WWF, and was one hell of a talented worker. He drew very well, and consistently topped $50,000 per year in earnings in the Oregon territory. It was an easy traveling territory and he never had to leave. In the state of Oregon, I'll bet everyone who grew up during the late 70s, even those who aren't fans, would recognize his name. He helped book and had a great wrestling mind. He was the No. 1 man in his territory for years. Ole was never the No. 1 man in his territory, or if he was, it was very briefly. Rose went to New York and main evented. He went to San Francisco and main evented, and was a consistent 8,000 per show draw at the Cow Palace until the whole place fell apart. Are Rose's credentials strong enough to be in the Hall of Fame ahead of Dick Murdoch, Bill Miller, Wilbur Snyder, Undertaker, Bob Backlund and Masahiro Chono?

I'll comment more on it later but figured it deserves to be filed here for the time being

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fair point in that you want to find the BEST possible candidate and not merely a qualified one. The counter-point is that with the above inducted, we're reaching a point where Rose might indeed be the best candidate.

• 1 month later...

Buddy Rose & The Sheepherders v Sam Oliver Bass, Roddy Piper & Red Bastein (Portland, 10/27/79)

Am I overrating this to the moon, or did anybody else think it was fucking awesome? I searched the thread to see if Dylan or anybody else talked about it already, but I couldn't find anything.

It's 2/3 falls, and the first fall would've been a great ten minute tag on its own. Rose and the Sheepherders just stooge like crazy early on. I was hoping Williams and Miller would come out acting half as crazy as they did in the promos leading up to it (Williams looks and sounds like a complete maniac, all toothless and grinning), and was sort of disappointed initially at them begging off as much as they were, but it was some great begging off so I took to it in time. Rose is Rose and is just a God at begging off and stooging. There's one bit where he walks along the apron and doesn't realise Bass is walking along his end at the same time, so when he reaches the post and looks up to see Bass standing there he jumps off the apron and literally sprints halfway back towards the dressing room.

They eventually take over on Piper and Rose repeatedly crotches him on the post. Piper is a really good face in peril, always trying to scurry back to his corner and make the tag. I'm not sure if it was here or a little later when they're working over Bastein, but Williams does this thing where he drops his shoulder strap and uses it to choke whoever he's in there with. I don't remember seeing anybody do that before, but it was cool as shit. Crowd just loses it any time Buddy or a Sheepherder tries to sneak in the ring behind the ref's back. I mean any time there's even the CHANCE one of them will try a cheapshot the crowd are all over Sandy Barr to turn around.

Eventually Piper makes the hot tag and in comes Bastein who puts Buddy out with the sleeper for the first fall. The bit in between falls with Sandy Barr having to wake up Buddy and Buddy taking a swing at one of his partners because he doesn't know where he is is great shit.

Second fall is short, but the finish to it with Buddy picking up Bastein and giving him two backbreakers over Miller's knee before a final one over his own knee was a great way to even the score.

Third fall picks up where the second one left off, with Bastein still hurting from the triple backbreaker and being worked over. This continues for a few more minutes before he tags in Bass, although it sort of looked like Williams was supposed to cut him off before that. Either way, Bass comes in swinging and the heels are bumping all over the ship. Things break down and they do an awesome spot where Piper cocks his fist like he's ready to punch Buddy, but instead pokes him in the eye (Piper has a GREAT eye poke, maybe the best ever), and as Buddy stumbles backwards he trips up schoolboy style over Miller who's just crawling around in a daze after being lit up by Bass.

Match gets tossed out when Sandy can't reign things in, and Buddy is amazing at desperately trying to fight out of the sleeper hold at the end (although he's eventually saved by a Sheepherder, anyway). Show goes off the air with Buddy and the 'Herders shouting and screaming about something that I can't make out.

Hell of a match. I wouldn't exactly say I was in shock watching it, because I've seen enough of this late 70s Rose stuff now to know that Portland were constantly pumping out good-great shit on TV with him in it, but I wasn't expecting to watch it and think it was right up there with just about anything I've seen from that year.

Also, the promo Rose cuts after the hair match with Steve Pardee a month earlier was AMAZING. Maybe the best Rose promo on the whole set (Goodhelmet's, obv) up to that point.

Buddy Rose v Stan Stasiak (11/17/79)

Didn't think this was as great as the 6-man from 10/27, but fuck Rose was tremendous here. He seems to have so much "things" in the holster to bust out that Match A is different from Match B which is different from Match C, and Match D will be different from Matches E, F and G. His sell of the heart punch at the end of the first fall (Stasiak has great looking punches, btw) is amazing. He stumbles away from the ring and he somehow manages to get his face to turn white as a sheet, so you could buy the heart punch being similar to having an anvil dropped on your chest. When he comes out for the second fall he has his fist taped up, but he won't let Sandy Barr check him because he's apparently hurt it so bad that even touching it buckles him over in pain. When Stasiak gets too close Sandy turns around and tries to back him up, so Rose starts pounding the turnbuckle with the taped up hand to show everybody there's nothing wrong with it. He milks this for five straight minutes. Seriously, they actually make contact about three times during that five minute spell. Stasiak manages to get a hold of Buddy's hand and smashes it off the turnbuckle pad, and as Buddy staggers away "in pain" he laughs at the crowd and starts jawing with two old women. When he gets close to Stasiak he throws a few shots to the ribs with the taped hand, and Stasiak has this great sell of it. Frank Bonnema is wondering if there's not a little more to that fist than just tape, because body shots like that usually don't cause as much damage as they're causing right now. Then Buddy catches him with a left hook square on the button and Stasiak's KO sell is just out of this world spectacular. Between falls Stasiak gets his own fist taped up and Buddy wants no part of it in the third fall. Stasiak at least lets the ref' check to make sure it's just tape and nothing else, so he lets it fly much to Buddy's displeasure. They wind up on the floor and Buddy gets posted, and eventually they run a really cool count out finish. They're both standing on the apron as Barr is counting them out, and as Stasiak hits the heart punch Buddy flies through the ropes back into the ring while Stasiak is a second too late and gets counted out. Normally the title can't change hands on a DQ, but since this was a count out it does, although Buddy is half out of it and doesn't seem to know what happened for a few minutes.

I don't remember having seen any Stan Stasiak before this, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was REALLY good stuff. Is there footage of the taped fist match, or did Will procure practically everything when making this set and that wasn't there (or was it just not very good)?

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, there's not a tremendous amount of Buddy online, but I did manage to see an Adonis/Rose match that Rip Rogers commented on in comments section. I thought the match was good, but the rhythm of two long falls and a lengthy gap between them threw me off a bit, and I wasn't sure about the amount of time Rose kept Adonis grounded. It's kind of difficult watching a guy for the first or second time and seeing all the things that someone who's watched him dozens of times can see, but I sort of felt I could see the things that people like. What I was unsure of was why people think he's better at those things than dozens of other guys. What is it that makes him better than other guys from the same period. I really want Dylan to make that top 25.

Rogers loves to comment on youtube.

With Buddy I could see the argument that he's among the best at many things, but he is a guy where I don't see any real weaknesses. He can work a multitude of styles and different sorts of psych into his matches better than...well...anyone? Sucks that there isn't more readily available online,but there is a pretty good comp out there :)

Buddy Rose is awesome. I was ordering comps from a certain comp maker a while back and I asked the comp maker if I should order his Buddy Rose comp or a comp of a more well-known wrestler (*cough* Steamboat *cough*). The comp maker said, without hesitation, that I should give the Buddy comp a try, so I took his advice.

Holy shit, is all I can say. I plowed through that Buddy Rose comp in no time. It was a major eye-opener, and more importantly, ridiculously entertaining. If you want to see one guy single-handedly carry a territory, Buddy in Portland is a great example.

Buddy Rose is awesome. I was ordering comps from a certain comp maker a while back and I asked the comp maker if I should order his Buddy Rose comp or a comp of a more well-known wrestler (*cough* Steamboat *cough*). The comp maker said, without hesitation, that I should give the Buddy comp a try, so I took his advice.

Holy shit, is all I can say. I plowed through that Buddy Rose comp in no time. It was a major eye-opener, and more importantly, ridiculously entertaining. If you want to see one guy single-handedly carry a territory, Buddy in Portland is a great example.

I got that as a late Christmas present. I'm glad I picked Buddy's comp because man did he blow me away. I don't care how much I say this but he is the greatest find in the internet age. It's not even close.

I'm glad I picked Buddy's comp because man did he blow me away.

Was there powder and a fan involved?

Not that I'm aware of. Although, speaking of fans Buddy did interact frequently with "Grandma" in the front row during his heyday. She even once attempted assault.

If it is a choice between Buddy and another comp I have made, go Buddy. If Funk or Hansen or Vader is your favorite wrestler then get those but if you want to discover a new guy then go Buddy. After that, I say Regal. For cheap, you can pick up the Dandy set and that will blow you away how diverse Dandy was. Those would be my top 3 wrestler sets... until the Lawler set comes out of course.

When do u anticipate the Lawler set will come out? After hearing you two him up and seeing his Memphis stuff pv the 80's set I'm ready for that to come out

No later than early summer. Maybe sooner. Gotta knock out MX first. Then another yearbook and LAwler will be my spring break projects along with the MOTYC set (probably) aqnd maybe another DVDVR 80s set (lucha).