Pro Wrestling Only

A week in TV in 1986

JerryvonKramer

After the TBS slot buyout....WCW was the main show, Worldwide was the main syndie and MACW was behind it.

Main Event became the #2 TBS show and took the spot of the Best of WCW show on Sunday. Power Hour when it started became the #2 TBS show.

The shows didn't become full recap shows until the mid 90's.

Main Event was a hell of a show, at least in 1988. Top matches. I wouldn't call it a "B" show, at least not in 1988.

See, this is the difficulty because it seems like Flair could legitimately defend the world title on any of those 5 shows and it wouldn't look massively out of place.

It it actually possible that around 86-8, JCP had 5 A-shows running co-currently? Would that be a wildly inaccurate statement?

MACW/ Pro really feels like it's "Bob Caudle's show".

In the beginning, NWA Main Event was intended to be a show to draw television ratings, while the Saturday Night show was intended to be a show to sell house shows. Marquee matches given time were placed on Main Event, and the wrestlers were supposed to get payoffs based on the ratings, which never came to fruition due to Crockett's cash flow problems.

There was one point I could watch wrestling almost all day and night on Saturdays in NJ. Between this and horror movies, I never went out. These times could be wrong but it was roughly this schedule:

8am-10am NWA on WTBS

10 am WWF on WWOR (Ch. 9)

11 am Pro Wrestling USA (NWA/ AWA) WPIX (Ch. 11)

12 pm Glow (can't remember if it was on WWOR or WPIX)

1pm NWA (can't remember channel but I think it was Ch. 17)

2 pm NWA on the Spanish Station (hosted by Hugo Savinovich)

3pm Some crappy promotion I can't remember other than that they used Kashmir in their opening credits.

4pm WWF on WWOR

6pm-8pm NWA on WTBS

9pm Hawaiian Wrestling on one of CNN's sister channels (the one with the constant ticker at the bottom)

10pm UWF (can't remember channel)

12am WWF WWOR

Plus, there was World Class on at some point in the mornings and sometimes there was a 7 or 8pm WWF on WWOR. Also, there was the occasional Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC. Good times!

P.S. On Sundays, there was WWF on USA Network around noon, NWA Power Hour (is that the right name?) around 3pm and the regular NWA show on WTBS around 6pm, and there was an NWA show on later around 9pm on Ch. 57 which ALWAYS ended with a incomplete match at the end (usually Dusty vs one of the Four Horseman)!

The years kinda mesh together but somewhere between 85-87 Detroit got International from Montreal on Saturday in the early afternoon time slot on CBET Channel 9 which was Windsor's CBC station. Also we got Crybaby Cannon's wrestling which was from Detroit/Indiana/Ohio that had Chris Carter as the lead wrestler & a young Robert Rechsteiner that came on either Channel 38 or 62. I don't remember seeing any syndicated shows from Florida, Memphis, World Class, or Salvodi in that same time frame in the Detroit TV market.

• 10 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a much simpler way of putting the above is:

Syndication

WWF Superstars = WCW Worldwide

WWF Challenge = MACW / WCW Pro

Cable

WWF Prime Time = World Championship Wrestling / Saturday Night

WWF All American = Power Hour or Main Event

All American was always a recap show while Power Hour and Main Event were meant to be proper shows, and after Turner bought our Crockett it seems they used their ownership of the station and the wrestling company to load up TBS. Seems Vince was content or had to make do with just two shows on USA for a long time. 

WWF Spotlight was a syndicated alternative to All American and again was a pure recap show.