Pro Wrestling Only

French catch

pantherwagner

Here's Ian Gilmour's Kamikaze in one of his other two TV matches, this one against the recently lost and much missed Jim Breaks.

Also getting this back to French Catch here's the match Ohtani's Jacket was reviewing.  I'm at work right now so I'll have to check it sometime later to see if it's the same two guys as the 1971 - or Modesto Aledo and "Benny" - or someone else. (Probably not Ian Gilmour though! ) 
P.S. have had a sneaky peak, saw the creepy bit at the start where they are kneeling down before the match, they seem to have got their masks from the same place as the 1971 Kamikazes/

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of Wikipedia - Bob Plantin gave a short but nice review of my Professional Wrestling in France article:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishWrestlingRemembered/posts/6980331135338169

Professional wrestling in France - Wikipedia
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• 1 d

• Remove Preview

Bob Plantin
Author
David Mantell Gros travail _ Bravo

• 1 d

• See translation

24 minutes ago, Phil Lions said:

Just a random poster I came across. Modesto Aledo (c) vs. George Kidd (billed as the European champion) for the World Lightweight Championship. Talk about a match that sounds great on paper.

xaledoposter2.thumb.jpg.eddc7b7932f5387158d6c075f732bc55.jpg

This could be the version Aledo was claiming.
https://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/spain/sp-world-l.html

Kidd is billed as Empire Champion too.  Hisa's site is very patch on that one:

https://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/bec-l.html

Hisa lists both Kidd and Aledo  of being ex European Lightweight champions at this point:
https://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/uk-eu-l.html

It sounds to me like Kidd was mopping up another loose version of the World Lightweight title out there.  He'd beaten Rene Ben Chemouel on or by 17th March 1950 in Paris https://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/uk-world-l.html

It's just bad luck that the INA doesn't have any George Kidd matches, or if they do, they haven't found their way to Matt D.  We have some Charlie Fisher, Francis Sullivan Tommy Mann, Vic Hessle etc from their films.

At that same time Aledo was the World Lightweight and European Lightweight champion in Spain too. He continued to hold those claims there.

I hadn't specifically searched for this before, but now that you've mentioned it I just did and it turns out INA does have highlights of three Kidd matches from 1952-53. About 8 minutes of footage altogether. EDIT - Actually, more like nine and half minutes in total.

1 hour ago, Phil Lions said:

I hadn't specifically searched for this before, but now that you've mentioned it I just did and it turns out INA does have highlights of three Kidd matches from 1952-53. About 8 minutes of footage altogether.

Kidd in his prime.  Now that would be something to watch.  Granada probably has at least some of his 1960s ITV bouts in their vault.

This video is a little overview of pro-wrestling in the Third World (an antiquated term of sorts, but apropos here) including both the local stars and notable stars that came in from the outside. While I surely left many people out in between, I hope this sheds some light on the parts of the world that have rich pro-wrestling lineage. The opening reel features a brawl between Dara Singh and Emile Czaya who earned his nickname from his role in this film - "King Kong." First part features the song "March of Death" Central America - promoter/wrestler Jose Azzari, Dr. Wagner Jr. & Angel Blanco Jr. vs. Astro de Oro & Skeletor, Felipe Ham Lee, Coloso Colosetti, Tinieblas, "Fabulouso Blondy" Ken Timbs, Astro de Oro & Dory Dixon, Mil Mascaras, RXW's Hugo Savinovich, promoter Kaiser, King K.O., Savio Vega & Ricky Banderas Argentina - the stars of Titanes en la Ring - Martin Karadigan's autobiography, clips from 1973's Titanes en la Ring, 1972 Titanes' roster, Karadigan vs. La Momia, El Cavernerio, La Momia sneak attack, Karadigan takes La Momia off his feet for the first time Second part features the song "Legacies" South Africa - British promoters/wrestlers Sir Atholl Oakley & Henry Irslinger, Ian Campbell takes George Gordienko for a ride, resident top star and champion Jan Wilkins, Rene Ben Chemoul, Gary Albright, Don Leo Jonathan, Hercules Ayala, Blackjack Mulligan, Ed "Col. DeBeers" Wiskowski, Sailor White, Big John Studd, Steven Regal East Africa - promoter/wrestler Fred Coates, Quassa Modo & reporter Tommy Miller Middle East - Adnan Al-Kaissie (Billy Whitewolf) with Saddam Hussein, Adnan's rivals - Gordienko, Andre the Giant & Bob Roop; Pakistani Azam Bholu vs. Ron Reed, Rafael Halperin vs. Abu Antar, Kevin Von Erich vs. Gino Hernandez Punjab - legendary wrestler and actor Dara Singh, Dara & company with traditional warm-up and exercising techniques, King Kong Czaya, the legendary Bholu Brothers (Aslam, Azan, Akram, Goga & Hassu) were the sons of Imam Bakhsh and nephews of the Great Gama, Czaya with the Australian PM, Sheik Wadu Ayoub with Indian PM Pandit Nehru, the Great Gama, Akram's final bout against Antonio Inoki in 1976 Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia - Mark Lewin, Skandor Akbar, the Von Stroheims, Paul Vachon, Otto Wanz, poster with Tor Kamata, Steve Rickard, Lewin and Killer Karl Krupp **I understand I left out many people and perhaps included others too much. I am an amateur pro-wrestling historian and amateur videographer. Please view my website if you'd like to access more information about pro-wrestling and pro-wrestling from around the world. I'd also like to credit Farid Azam, Luis Javier Piril and co., Norine and Phantom of Pro Wrestling Digest. **

Also a TV clip of Adnan al Qaisi giviving an interview about his wrestling days (to an apparently more respectful interview than poor old Vader got.) Includes what appears to be the same Adnan vs Danny Lynch footage as posted a page back on this thread

(Spelling note - juding from the onscreen caption in the thumbnail, Adnan in Arabic begins with an 'Ayn, a hard glottlestop generally regarded as a consonant in Arabic.  So all us Westerners calling him Adnan with a soft short A for Apple have been getting it wrong all these years.)

1 hour ago, Phil Lions said:

At that same time Aledo was the World Lightweight and European Lightweight champion in Spain too. He continued to hold those claims there.

I hadn't specifically searched for this before, but now that you've mentioned it I just did and it turns out INA does have highlights of three Kidd matches from 1952-53. About 8 minutes of footage altogether.

Who are the opponents? 

2 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Who are the opponents? 

Rene Ben Chemoul, Guy Laroche and someone listed as Dauveau. I don't think I've heard the name Dauveau before. At first I thought it might be Andre Chauveau misspelled, but the guy in the footage seems like a different guy.

42 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Are those recent additions to the archives? Does anyone know if the INA add new footage to the archives?

I don't think they're new and I don't think INA have added any new stuff since 2018-19 (which is when I last searched through the archive thoroughly). I just think we hadn't paid attention to the Kidd footage before. I know I hadn't as I was primarily focused on other wrestlers back then. I don't want to speak for them, but I also think the Segunda Caida crew only paid attention to the full matches and skipped over the highlight stuff, and there is a lot of footage in the archive that is just highlights of matches as opposed to full matches. Hence why the Kidd footage has only popped up now.

Anyway, I just looked through the archive again to see if there's anything additional of Kidd's that I might have missed and it doesn't seem like there is. Just those three matches. I shared a few clips over on Twitter in case anyone wants to take a look:

5 hours ago, Phil Lions said:

I know I hadn't as I was primarily focused on other wrestlers back then. I don't want to speak for them, but I also think the Segunda Caida crew only paid attention to the full matches and skipped over the highlight stuff, and there is a lot of footage in the archive that is just highlights of matches as opposed to full matches. Hence why the Kidd footage has only popped up now.

I can confirm that we were mainly searching by the title of the full length TV shows or barring that for full matches. And obviously that bore incredible fruit. Just logically, one would think that if a British wrestler would give you that many clips, a French wrestler (like Ami Sola or Jo Labat for instance, who were featured heavily in the early part of the footage) might get you even more, but who knows. We haven't been in there for a while.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:11 PM, Cien Caras said:

On an international note there are a lot of clips of Titanes Del Ring from Chile on YouTube, appears to be largely a derivative of the Argentinian Titanes En El Ring with an 80s kids studio vibe and mummies etc. I believe other South American countries also had their own Titanes equivalents.

Watching this, I am thinking that for this TV show they stuck a bunch of highly skilled wrestlers into goofy gimmicks to do 5 minute TV matches. All these guys bump incredibly well and clearly know what they are doing. Maybe it was a last ditch effort to breathe life into a dying territory, similiar to French wrestling getting goofy in the 1980s.

Dracula does a bunch of awesome shit here and Robin hits a cool suicide dive and some really swank headmare variations. They even find a way to make the old armdrag from the top rope make sense. South America always had a reputation for having a never ending supply of amazing wrestlers and no doubt Chile must have had some masters too. I wonder if Chile had another, less goofy wrestling TV show before this. I don't mean to denigrate the amazing presentation that Titanes del Ring had or the committment Dracula had to his act but I'd like to see some of these guys go 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, Jetlag said:

Watching this, I am thinking that for this TV show they stuck a bunch of highly skilled wrestlers into goofy gimmicks to do 5 minute TV matches. All these guys bump incredibly well and clearly know what they are doing. Maybe it was a last ditch effort to breathe life into a dying territory, similiar to French wrestling getting goofy in the 1980s.

In France's case it wasn't breathing life into a dying territory as finding the territory's long-term direction. I've already compared France to Memphis with it's Jason's and Freddy's and Leather faces etc. Some time around the beginning of the. 70s, Delaporte introduced stuff like La Bête Humane, Le Batman, Le Hippie Du Ring etc.  Then in 1979 Gerard Nerve comes home, and reinvents himself as Flesh Gordon and is followed in short order by Jessy Texas, Mambo Le Primitiv, Les Pihrannas, Les Maniaks Kato Bruce Lee, the original Marquis then Jacky Richard taking over his gimmick with butler Paul Butard on the ring apron. Then in New Catch era we get Richard and Butard reinventing themselves as Travesti Man and his Best Boy, rugby playing Patrick Lopez, "Scottish" Superheavyweight Scott Rider, and later in the C21st Cybernic Machine, Richard again morphing this time into Monsieur Jacky, and cigar chomping Cuban Hugo Perez.  This is the way French Wrestling evolved over a half century plus- and it's become accustomed to that whole style of presentation.

4 hours ago, David Mantell said:

In France's case it wasn't breathing life into a dying territory as finding the territory's long-term direction. I've already compared France to Memphis with it's Jason's and Freddy's and Leather faces etc. Some time around the beginning of the. 70s, Delaporte introduced stuff like La Bête Humane, Le Batman, Le Hippie Du Ring etc.  Then in 1979 Gerard Nerve comes home, and reinvents himself as Flesh Gordon and is followed in short order by Jessy Texas, Mambo Le Primitiv, Les Pihrannas, Les Maniaks Kato Bruce Lee, the original Marquis then Jacky Richard taking over his gimmick with butler Paul Butard on the ring apron. Then in New Catch era we get Richard and Butard reinventing themselves as Travesti Man and his Best Boy, rugby playing Patrick Lopez, "Scottish" Superheavyweight Scott Rider, and later in the C21st Cybernic Machine, Richard again morphing this time into Monsieur Jacky, and cigar chomping Cuban Hugo Perez.  This is the way French Wrestling evolved over a half century plus- and it's become accustomed to that whole style of presentation.

What about Quasimodo? It was always there.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:44 AM, Matt D said:

What about Quasimodo? It was always there.

Yes but it started picking up intensity around '71 before going up yet another gear in the 80s. Delaporte was the root of both Marc Mercier's and Richard/Hervé's respective gimmick ridden products in the C21st.

Quasimodo was Spanish btw. He was on ITV too in his time.