Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestler of the Year?

Dylan Waco

This just came up in a conversation with Musgrave, and I don't really know enough about Lucha business to know how I feel about this, but Casas has had an excellent year in the ring, some title matches of note, the big hair v. hair v. Panther earlier in the year...I mean it's probably a stretch, but everyone feels like a stretch for WOTY this year.

"On a hiding to nothing" is a British phrase referring to a situation where trying is pointless because winning is impossible. Translated to American, rovert was saying that advocating for Okada here is a lost cause.

But yeah, you have to really be out of the loop to not recognize Okada as a standout candidate. Dave has been calling New Japan the best big match promotion in the world for a while now, and Okada's been a big part of that. I've only seen the Naito match and the second Tanahashi match, but both were really good and would be high-end MOTYCs in just about any year. If nothing else, he's a much stronger candidate, in both absolute and relative terms, than Tanahashi was last year.

"On a hiding to nothing" is a British phrase referring to a situation where trying is pointless because winning is impossible. Translated to American, rovert was saying that advocating for Okada here is a lost cause.

But yeah, you have to really be out of the loop to not recognize Okada as a standout candidate. Dave has been calling New Japan the best big match promotion in the world for a while now, and Okada's been a big part of that. I've only seen the Naito match and the second Tanahashi match, but both were really good and would be high-end MOTYCs in just about any year. If nothing else, he's a much stronger candidate, in both absolute and relative terms, than Tanahashi was last year.

I don't ever read Meltzer's opinions on matches or wrestlers unless they are posted here as that is a "loop" that usually runs pretty counter to mine.

Dave also watches next to nothing from both Japan and Mexico unless someone pimps it really highly and gives him a physical copy, no?

Okada pretty undeniably had a good year business-wise for someone in their first year at a top position, but his matches don't wow me. I don't see him as a candidate for Most Outstanding but I get the sense that the buzz for him is great enough that he might win both that and the overall WOTY .

• 4 weeks later...

Okada/Naito II from this years G1 - Another one to use if one wants to make a case for Okada as WOTY. Great match, just tad bit less then their first. Okada's selling is top notch and i'm digging his whole persona & the act w Gedo more & more over time. I don't particularly buy him as really being this arrogant "make it reign" superstar but I totally buy Gedo as a weasly Don King figure attatching himself to the hot new superstar and corrupting him for his own profit. Like hey kid, you let me worry about the contracts & money, here's some big shinny bling & bitches to keep ya happy. Also i'm totally stealling the Rain Maker next time I go to wrestling practice. Don't want to sell Naito short here either as he more then carried his load too, is great in his role as the hot up & coming flashy baby face ace of the future & is great as Naito's arch rival.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xubqsm_08...-08-03-12_sport