Pro Wrestling Only

What Are You Watching? -- June 2005

Loss

Guest Local Jobber R

I saw an episode of WWA International the past week on FSN Espanol, not a bad lucha show. I only saw the final match which was a women's tag match go about 15 minutes that had some nice action. It was'nt as good as Molly vs Trish but it did have some submisions such as the pendulum. Funny thing about the show is that even the announcers wear masks!

I'm worried that the show might get bumped this weekend because of soccer :(

I've watched several things this week...

Tommy Young Shoot Interview --

Some interesting notes. Tommy loves Ric Flair. Disliked working with Abdullah and Greg Valentine. Haven't gotten to the bulk of his NWA run.

Just watched parts of 123 Kid-Bret Hart. I fell asleep in the middle because I am running on 4 hours of sleep. The loud jingle of the burner woke me up. The last 5 minutes were filled with soem great back-and-forth action.

Due to being sick and my sleep patterns being all out of whack, I woke up at 3:00 am today and realized by 3:30 that I wasn't going to fall asleep. Wound up watching Benoit-Vicious from Souled Out 2000 and Benoit-Angle from Royal Rumble 2003 before getting ready for work. Watched HHH-Cactus Royal Rumble 2000 when I got home today while sipping steaming hot lemon tea in a futile effort to get rid of this gout that I've had all week. Watching Smackdown right now.

BENOIT vs ALEX WRIGHT 1/8/96 NITRO

Well of course I liked this; would I ever talk about a Benoit match I didn't like?

Anyway, this is great and is probably their best match together. It follows a different formula than your typical North American match as Benoit the heel is the one who dominates at first until it's Wright who dominates the 2nd half. Usually it's the other way around. Still, in this they somehow don't manage to build up sympthany for the beatdown of Benoit.

Both wrestlers have their workboots on and Wright proves once again that he can hang with the technical masters of WCW. Worth checking out alone for the slick counterfest that they have fighting for various holds such as the dragon, butterfly and german suplex. Pillman seconds Benoit and makes everything even more fun.

DEAN MALENKO VS SHINJIRO OHTANI WCW WORLDWIDE

One of a few matches Ohtani had in WCW. This is for the cruiserweight title and although it doesn't go too long at all it still has to be checked out. Action packed, fun offence/counters throughout and a hot corwd make this a match you'll definitely be checking out more than a couple of times.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Watching some of the recent WWE releases. Last night, I watched Dusty vs. Flair from Starrcade '84. I don't think they ever had a great match, but I liked this one better than their match at the next Starrcade. Joe Fraizer was the special guest referee and he actually wasn't too bad in the role. He didn't seem out of place and he stayed out of the way most of the time. Of course, he called the match because of Dusty's open wound, but he didn't try and interject himself and break up the flow.

I watched Eddie Gilbert/Nikita Koloff from UWF Power Pro 10/87 this weekend, thinking maybe I'd see a surprisingly good match, but it wasn't so good, as most of it is spent lying on the mat and strangely enough, they don't even really play the crowd. I expected these two to have a much better match than they did here. From the same tape, saw Windham/Zbyszko from TBS in late '87 joined in progress, but I want to see the complete match, as what was here was very basic but very cool, with Zbyszko doing his typical stalling act and also finding several ways to torture Windham through simple headlocks and scissorholds. Flair/Luger v Simmons/Douglas was a fun little fast-paced match, and I actually thought Simmons was the best worker of the bunch in this one.