Pro Wrestling Only

Where The Big Boys Play #10

The whole point though is that Manny was claim that match was the main event. I was in the minority in not liking that match too much, both Chad and Brian were higher on it than me -- but like I said, I'm ok with being in the minority. I don't buy that they were going easy so as not to steal the card. If you listen to Arn or Tully talk about this time, they talk about looking to go out there and "steal the show" from whatever position they with at in the card. If that was the mentality within the company at that time, then what excuse do Abby and Manny have for putting on such a tame match?

As it happens, we mention that match again briefly on the next show ...

Where the Big Boys Play #10 – NWA Superstars on the Superstation

Posted Image

Brian and Parv take a look at this TV special from February 1986. Topics include: differences between JCP and WWF in the booking of the tag division, who on earth is Linda Curry?, speculation on why Crockett gave the decrepit Baron von Raschke into the promotion from the AWA at this time, Willie Nelson, Dusty Rhodes and differences between British and American working class values, further talk about Dusty’s dark desires for Baby Doll, more classic moments from David Crockett who is on top form, analysis of Tommy Young’s (kayfabe) performance as a ref, and picks for match of the night, MVP and The Billy Graham award.

Thanks a lot guys, high praise indeed. I'm a big fan of Dre and Blackcat's Old-school Wrestling Podcast too, and of Place to Be, Wrestling Culture with Dave and Dylan and wherever and whenever the man himself, Will / goodhelmet, makes an appearance.

Agree with Chad that Brian adds a lot to these shows, I'm learning a lot from him too. GAB 86 part 1 should be out later tonight.

• 1 year later...

VERY behind on you guy's podcast (I only started listening about a month ago to them, I now d/l them from itunes & listen to them while Im at work during the day) but I enjoyed this one for sure, I remember this show & Loved the R&R vs Midnights tag/title switch & I also to this day remember the stiffness from the Flair/Garvin match, I was rolling when you guy's were bashing the bimbo who was w/ Magnum, hilarious!