Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party #13

Rose vs. Jannetty

A lot of entertaining stalling from Rose to start followed by quite a long shine sequence for Marty.

This one has taken an awful long time to get going. Some very slow drawn out matwork here. A good 15+ minutes we're still on abdominal stretches.

Wow, Shawn slapped Jannetty in the face to wake him up!

Seems to have worked, we get some fire now. Buddy cuts it off by slamming him from the top, but misses an ass splash.

Very disappointing match for me this. Long and mostly boring.

C-

A pint of Pepsi Max with ice and a squeeze of lime, a bowl of "Sensations Mexican smoked chilli peanuts", and four Americans talking in my ear about something they call "The Super Bowl" -- all the preparation I need for an hour long match ...

The analysis of the front row early on is great by the way. I like the fact we see the guy in the grey coat and the black guy talk.

Midget and Grandma is classic stuff too. "Little Matt D" genuine lol :D

KrisZ's JCP analysis is great. I regret that we never had him on our show when we covered 86-7. Glad that Johnny Sorrow and Will broadly agree with my take on Ron Garvin too. If KrisZ ever does come on WTTBP it'll be 7-hour special as I ask him endless questions until he falls asleep, loses his voice or flies over here to knock me out.

Bockwinkel vs. Hennig (hour-long match)

Early matwork by Bock is very tight and worked in the manner he worked Robinson in All Japan. Curt's armwork is less interesting for me -- it feels like he is not that interested in it to me, that he'd prefer to be trading strikes or throws.

Bock takes over and starts working the leg. I like the gradual transition around the body here during this extended mat-based seuqence:

1. Head/neck

2. Arm

3. Leg

Bock's face as he pulls on Curt's foot is priceless. The level of struggle during this sequence is great and Hennig is selling the hell out of this leg now. I think Bock might be my favourite mat worker.

Big ref bump now. Curt goes back to the arm.

We're gradually transitioning from matwork to impact moves and strikes now. Curt is using the post more and more. His movements get a bit more Mr. Perfect-y.

Big stiff reverse knife edges. Piledriver!

Bock comes back with a back suplex. Good stuff this.

The match has gone through the gears in the way I like it to:

1. Matwork

2. Strikes

3. Throws

That's my favourite progression for a long match.

Time for:

4. Hot, heated finishing sequence

Curt has colour now and Bock goes straight in with GREAT punches to attack the cut.

GREAT axe bombers from Hennig.

Bock is covered in Hennig's blood.

Another big forearm from Curt.

Figurefour! Look at Hennig's face!

A*, probable number 1.

"Best match of the 80s?" talking point:

I think this belongs "in the conversation". From the 80s JCP/NWA I've seen, I'm thinking about where it would go in the top 20 ... I'd put it below Tully/Magnum "I Quit" and Flair vs. Steamboat, Clash 6 for sure.

However, beyond those two, I really have to think about how I'd rank this vs. the other two Steamboat matches, Flair-Funk GAB89 and my favourite Flair-Garvin match.

Also thinking about high-end All Japan. Below Jumbo vs. Tenryu and the Yatsu tag, but again beyond that I really have to think.

So against my (provisional) JCP and All Japan rankings, it's got a real shot at the number 3 slot on both lists.

Right now, I'm prepared to say I'd probably put it over the Wrestle War Flair-Steamboat:

What it has going for it over Flair-Steamboat (Wrestle War):

- Structure

- Excellent matwork

- Blood

What it has going against it vs. Flair-Steamboat (Wrestle War):

- Intensity from the get go. Flair vs. Steamboat is worked at 100 miles an hour and what it loses in logic and structure, it gains in sheer adrenaline and excitement.

- Massive stiff chops, woooo!

Beyond that I really have to think.

With DVDR down, I actually can't remember what I had at #3, #4 and #5 for All Japan.

I'm pretty sure the Funk retirement tag match was #4 - this would be above that. #3 I'm completely blanking on.

-----

On thing that has come out of this set is that in my mind Bock is absolutely a GOAT-level worker.

People talk about Hansen for GOAT, what about Bock! We've seen him work a dozen different styles, different types of matches, different of opponents, and he's never been less than tremendous in any of them.

And, he has cool hair and a nice tan.

I've had to take a time out to gather my thoughts here.

There's only one match that comes even close to it and the level of difficulty on Hennig vs Bock is so much higher.

I'm too tired and congested to form a cogent thought right this second, but my point isn't to slam the match. I love the match. My point is that like the AJPW Set the end result really isn't even in doubt and without a "race for one" my interest in that aspect of things is unusually low considering the fact that I worked on this set.

Dylan, on this point, I think the race for second is VERY interesting on this set.

While (at least in my view) there is only one ***** "best match of 80s contender" type match on the set, I do think there is a real shit ton in the ****1/2 - 3/4 range.

I can see guys putting Bock vs. Wahoo at #2, I can see people putting one of the Hansen matches at #2, I can see people putting Rose/Somers vs. Rockers at #2. I can see people putting that Sheiks/Adnan vs High Flyers cage match at #2.

DVDR is down so I can't verify this, but I really think the race for #2 is wide open.

Rose/Somers/Sherri vs. Rockers/Another woman

Starts off at a fast pace. The other woman has a nicer ass than Sherri. So has Shawn actually. Probably Marty too. Going to stop short at Rose and Somers. There's a camera woman there too, but we don't get to see her ass.

Rose and Somers have cut the ring off nicely here.

I'm guessing this is Wrestlemania VI mixed-tag rules.

Jannetty on fire!

What? So the men can hit the women here? ha ha

Nice suplex by Rose. Slingshot. Sherri from the top. Misses.

Pretty good match this.

The other woman is in. Pretty good. Sling shot! Clothesline!

What the fuck! Marty is spanking Sherri now?

Fun match.

B-, taking away a grade for questionable gender politics. See me.

On thing that has come out of this set is that in my mind Bock is absolutely a GOAT-level worker.

People talk about Hansen for GOAT, what about Bock! We've seen him work a dozen different styles, different types of matches, different of opponents, and he's never been less than tremendous in any of them.

And, he has cool hair and a nice tan.

I think I've harped on this plenty. Others haven't quite as much. I wish we had his late 60s-early 70s work. That to me would be the cross section of his physical prime and when he really probably knew what he was doing.

I've had to take a time out to gather my thoughts here.

There's only one match that comes even close to it and the level of difficulty on Hennig vs Bock is so much higher.

I'm too tired and congested to form a cogent thought right this second, but my point isn't to slam the match. I love the match. My point is that like the AJPW Set the end result really isn't even in doubt and without a "race for one" my interest in that aspect of things is unusually low considering the fact that I worked on this set.

Dylan, on this point, I think the race for second is VERY interesting on this set.

While (at least in my view) there is only one ***** "best match of 80s contender" type match on the set, I do think there is a real shit ton in the ****1/2 - 3/4 range.

I can see guys putting Bock vs. Wahoo at #2, I can see people putting one of the Hansen matches at #2, I can see people putting Rose/Somers vs. Rockers at #2. I can see people putting that Sheiks/Adnan vs High Flyers cage match at #2.

DVDR is down so I can't verify this, but I really think the race for #2 is wide open.

Bock/Hennig draw is obviously the run away winner to the point where I almost don't even care what the rest of the results are because there is no serious threat to it. I'm mainly concerned about my ballot with this set. My guess is that the bloody Rose/Somers v. Rockers match finishes 2, but I don't think it's a lock. I actually expect there will be some surprises is the top ten.

• 8 months later...

Am I totally out of line if I bump this? I am late to the party, no pun intended. Just finished AWA podcast 13 today. I was frustrated that you guys didn't know how to pronounce Despina Montegas' name :).

One note about Bock and Hennig. Within the context of the era, that was the first time, AFAIK, two guys had wrestled a full hour on tv uninterrupted. Flair/Windham from Worldwide happened I believe in the same month or two timespan, and Flair/Stemboat of course was still a couple of years away. The match probably loses a little gusto over time when you don't consider how rare and surprising it was.

Of course, it's really difficult to enjoy now due to the commentary by Trongard who completely foreshadowed/telegraphed the time limit draw in the first 15 minutes of the match.