Pro Wrestling Only

Ambrose/Undertaker

RWOOD

For those unaware, Dean Ambrose wrestled the Undertaker on Smackdown this week.

For those unaware, I accidentally spelt Ambrose wrong a few times including in the thread title, a sign I should proofread more. Thanks for fixing that, Loss.

I may be jumping the gun in thinking this segment deserves its own thread here but I suppose time will be the judge of that.

I should note that I painstakingly watch about 75% of WWE programming on a weekly basis and have been for the last year or so. I've been entertained mostly, bored slightly and bewildered a lot less than you would think. My intelligence has been insulted a few times, sure, but its a fun ride and I've enjoyed a lot of the in-ring stuff. I've also learned to live with Michael Cole and find him quite entertaining in a disgusting way. I digress...

Below is a synopsis of the match so if you want no spoilers wait to read and comment later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZazHjPiods

The entire segment on TV was about thirteen minutes and the match itself was about five. From a production standpoint it got the point across and may have given the Shield a rub even moreso than CM Punk at Wrestlemania. CM Punks screaming as Takers entered seem silly in retrospect when looking at this. Even the commentators did a great job selling Shield's entrance as intimidating, which I guess it is. Maybe it was the hype in my mind but it really had a big fight feel to it. From an in-ring standpoint it was not as significant but it did get its point across. Undertaker gave a lot to Ambrose after getting his bodyshot and apron legdrop spot in. The match had great psychology as Taker kept an eye on Shield during the whole match.

There was a very logical spot where Taker went for a boot in the corner and missed. He ended up on the apron and Ambrose hit a great short dropkick to the back. Ambrose has an amazing way of working that reminds of of every wrestler I've ever enjoyed. I think its unfair to compare him to Pillman. He seems to have a style all his own. There was a lot of stalling and punching and wearing down Taker. Ambrose mocks him a little (which looks hilarious and perfectly in-character) which leads to a nice goozle. He lowblows the chokeslam attempt and comes back with a really well place knee to the stomach as Taker bounds off the ropes. Ambrose bounds as Taker hulks up and Ambrose eats a chokeslam.

Rollins on the apron eats a right hand enough time for Ambrose to get up and go for another low blow. He nails a DDT and Taker and for a minute you really think Ambrose might get the pin. Not really. The crowd is really hot for this match, rightfully so. Ambrose does an amazing job selling his dismay or mental problems or whatever and it goes right into Hells Gate and Ambrose taps.

Shield is in and Taker gets the upperhand on the outside. There are a few chairshots and he disposes of Ambrose. As Taker is about to chokeslam Rollins off the baracade when Reigns comes thru with a spear through the announcer area thing. Spears are so much more effective when large men do them. Shield heels up in such a convincing way that I mark out and scream at my TV. Ambrose screams out "you didnt beat me" and smacks Taker with the chair a few times. Crowd chants "you tapped out" and Ambrose freaks out. Great TV.

Super amazing heel heat if its not canned in. They hit the powerbomb through the table and it looks great. They start screaming out "DEAD, MAN!" as the show goes off.

Wow. Really, the best segment I've seen on WWE TV in a while aside from the Regal/Ohno stuff from NXT but I don't watch NXT every week so I can't speak to the entire angle. For a one off tour, Taker did a lot to put over the Shield as legitimate contenders moreso than any other match or segment they have been in aside from maybe their first match at TLC.

Call it whatever you want but I feel really good about where this may be going. I'm sure they will muck it up and water it down, but the logcial thing to do would be to put the tag straps on all three of them ala Demolition and keep fueding with Bryan and Kane over them until the eventual break up of those two. I think the five of them have a few more good matches in them that I would love to see. The six man was great on RAW too.

Aside from that I really hope they start billing Ambrose as the defacto leader of the group, if he already isn't. I know he stands in the middle during all the promos but I think they could do a bit more.

Anyway, I'm ineterested to know what the rest of the community thinks. Watch the match and let me know.

Cheers.

Havent seen the segment but wanted to comment on the Ambrose as leader thing. The whole point of the Shield is unity and strength in numbers. I think it is implied that Ambrose is in fact the leader but the beauty is that in theory they are all equals. Of course Rollins ruins the illusion by being the bitch of the group.

Havent seen the segment but wanted to comment on the Ambrose as leader thing. The whole point of the Shield is unity and strength in numbers. I think it is implied that Ambrose is in fact the leader but the beauty is that in theory they are all equals. Of course Rollins ruins the illusion by being the bitch of the group.

Rollins is going to garner X-Pac heat soon if he keep up his role of bitch. His facials and reactions to challenges (being a bitch, as you said) go over with me at all. Ambrose on the other hand plays it perfect every time. He reeks of "live to fight another day".

Bradshaw does a great job of getting the unity thing over in commentary though. Cole made a comment recently along the lines of "if one falls that means they all fall, right?" I believe the response was "theyre so strong that none of them have fallen yet." Man, it really helps having JBL on commentary.

If things get cold in the summer ratings wise I can see them hotshotting Ambrose to a match with Cena for the title. If you look at it, Cena doesn't really have much to work with and after this highly entertaining and heaty segment with Taker I could only imagine what it would be like with Cena. Probably the opposite because Cena is pretty much a heel in the eyes of fans. I want to keep this thread focused but I think fans of the current stuff here would have a hard time picking new programs for Cena in the main event this year.

Ryback, Mark Henry, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar... I think that might be Cena's lineup going into the next Mania season.

Ugh I forgot Lesnar signed on for another year. It should be noted that I'm not really a fan of Lesnar so that could be why. I guess we will get that at Survivor Series and Orton at Summerslam, though I'd rather see Henry in that spot but he will be next on the list if he goes over Sheamus.

Would they dare do Cena/Lesnar at Mania? I guess if they had to... hah. I don't know if that would be fitting of a 30th anniversary. But what do I know?

I saw someone suggest Cesaro would be a good opponent for whatever B-level PPV but it doesn't look like hes on the way up with the yodelling and jobbing out to Truth.

Either way, Ambrose/Taker was pretty good ... :rolleyes:

God, they can't possibly run a Cena/Orton feud again, can they?

Orton has been long rumored to turn heel and usually a turn involving a high profile name (ok ok but bear with me here) comes with a title program. Orton and Cena haven't feuded for at least 4 years. I can easily see them plugging Orton in Cena's programming calendar somewhere this year. Assuming Cena doesn't miss time due to injury.

I saw the segment due to the hype here, it was decent enough. Interesting to see where they go with The Shield from her on in, the characters haven't really transitioned into anything after five months, and they will need a direction at some point that goes beyond this vague 'hounds of justice' stuff. Guess what makes the most sense is one guy going after a title and the other two feuding with Bryan/Kane for the tag straps.

They will need a direction at some point that goes beyond this vague 'hounds of justice' stuff.

I appreciate that my post may have been hyperbolized enough to make you want to watch some TV.

They only other real reason we've gotten for their actions (from Cole, at least) is that Ambrose gets bored easily and likes to poke the hornets nest.

Bored of what, exactly?

In terms of direction, I think the best we can hope for is NOT just bragging about it for a week and then going back to Sheamus and all that. Win tag titles, run roughshod with a purpose. Let Ambrose Nelson Muntz it up a little bit. Maybe the first tag program can be with Orton and Sheamus and Orton can finally turn.

Side note: Shield's outfit is the exact same as Bossman circa 1999. Just sayin'.

His hand motions are weird, but I kind of love it because it fits in with their entire act being different from everyone else on the roster. The entrance, promo style and production and offense don't fit the same cookie cutter mold that most new characters do. Its one reason they're standing out so far, along with being put over so strong. That also happened here, as even though Ambrose took a clean loss they transitioned to the post-match so quickly and strongly that the overriding arc was the shield taking out one of the biggest names on the roster.

I'll just copy what I wrote somewhere else . .

For me BOTH Ambrose and Reigns are future stars. There hasn't been anyone who's come along that has that kind of star quality in years. Ambrose is glorious and is one of those guys that adds the little touches - the way he pounded the mat in frustration after getting dropped by Kofi Kingston or the maniacal grin that lit up his face when he realised Ryback was no-selling his chops - just spontaneous little things that too few blokes do. I don't think the 'wackiness' is much of problem because 1. he's not that wacky. 2. he's bloody good at it. Watching him being presented as a near equal to the Undertaker on smackdown warmed my heart. I just love the fucker. He's all my favourite bits about wrestling in one droopy, dreamy package. Future world champ at least.

Reigns looks godlike. They should keep him in black. When he was wearing a pair of little pants on FCW he didn't really stand out as much. I love that Superfly gone sinister chop/thrust thing he does. He's a good talker too even though his cool, calm delivery isn't best suited for the Shield promos. I'm looking forward to a feud with Sheamus.

It was an okay segment but Ambrose's weird hand motions as he entered the ring drove me nuts.

I have no clue why that bothers people. I think it's a distinct, neat part of his act

I don't buy it. It comes off as him trying to come up with a distinct, neat part for his act instead of actually being a distinct, neat part of his act.

It was an okay segment but Ambrose's weird hand motions as he entered the ring drove me nuts.

I have no clue why that bothers people. I think it's a distinct, neat part of his act

I don't buy it. It comes off as him trying to come up with a distinct, neat part for his act instead of actually being a distinct, neat part of his act.

So sort of like how people here feel about Demolition :)

Says the guy who thinks Bill Eadie somehow makes a headlock more interesting......

By doing something fundamental soundly and logically in a sea of shitty heel-in-peril wrestling instead of doing kahraazzzzy jazz hands in a sea of boring guys who do nothing to stand out? I don't totally see the comparison here. Everyone else that cares about Demolition cares about the shtick. I care about other things.

Ambrose is mostly Shtick. I think he does it mostly well. I think he goes over the top sometimes and the hand things are one of those times.

Totally subjective. You had to go and toss Demolition in it though! I can respect that you feel that's a part of the act that isn't over the top. It strikes me as trying too hard, but even that is better than not trying at all. I honestly think that the blandness of elements of the roster are such that he doesn't need to go nearly as far to stand out. I also don't think the roster is nearly as bland as it was a few years ago.

To be fair, I do think Ambrose can be over the top at times. It bothers me every now and then but not enough to really annoy me. I didn't even notice the hands thing until Matt brought it up actually. I had to think about it. I do think he's really awesome most of the time and he's my favorite guy to watch from the group. I like Reigns a lot too.

Guest Andrews

I don't think Dean is OTT at all. If anything, it only serves to set him apart from the other 2 - and the rest of the roster frankly which is a good thing.