Pro Wrestling Only

Liger in London

kingliam

Following on from my first posts, I should acknowledge that my recent time spent listening to Where The Big Boys Play and the P2B podcasts are what brought me here.

This is a two-fold post. Jushin Liger will be wrestling for Revolution Pro in London on Saturday, and I have got a ticket to go (as well as head off to the meet and greet beforehand). I was a massive Liger fan when younger, and couldn't really pass up the opportunity to meet the guy. He is fighting Prince Devitt, so should be a half decent match as well. Is anyone on the board coming?

Secondly, as I have not really kept up with NJPW like I used to - what should I expect from a modern-day Liger match? Can the guy still go in singles? Are there any recent matches that people would recommend checking out that are worthwhile?

Thanks

To be honest, that is all I'd expect. In some ways, that is all I'd want as well - seeing the guy is good enough for me.

Funnily enough, I was listening to a Where The Big Boys Play podcast this morning where Noam Dar was mentioned as a potential star in the making. He is also on the card.

Think I'm going go, have to drive to London that night anyway. Got any idea when it starts? Or of the full card? Doesn't seem to be up on their site.

El Ligero vs. Haskins was good in Stevenage and it seems like they are having a rematch.

7.30 bell time apparently.

The card that I am aware of:

Liger vs Devitt

Colt Cabana vs Sha Samuels

Noam Dar vs Hiromu Takashi

El Ligero vs Mark (?) Haskins

Project Ego vs Swords of Essex

That was all I am aware of. Mark Rocco and Davey Boy Smith Jr. will also be there.

As it stands, I'm going on my own - however, someone from Extreme Warfare Battleground (one of the other forums I go to) will be about.

Would be cool to try and grab a beer and chat. Like the podcast, so anyone who is able to have a fairly in depth wrestling chat with is fine by me.

As it stands, I'm going on my own - however, someone from Extreme Warfare Battleground (one of the other forums I go to) will be about.

Would be cool to try and grab a beer and chat. Like the podcast, so anyone who is able to have a fairly in depth wrestling chat with is fine by me.

Alright, I'll shoot you a PM on the day. I'm in no rush to get back after the show.

This was a fun show and thanks again to Liam for the heads up and company.

York Hall is a great venue and the crowd were really good. I do get the feeling that "something is happening" in the British scene at the moment, but I say that with no real basis for comparison. There are some good workers plying their trade on this circuit though. Really surprisingly high production values too.

Thought the matches were a mixed bag. This was a lot more stereotypically Indy style than the Stevenage show I saw a couple of months back.

I thought Haskins was good again. He was one of the few guys who didn't look like he was thinking about his next spot for the whole match. And one of the few people to take things to the mat for any amount of time.

Project Ego vs Swords of Essex had some very amusing comedy spots from Project Ego, but one of the Swords of Essex guys is just painfully small and they embody for me the worst of the excesses of the spotty style that I'd describe as "stereotypically Indy". They did some ridiculously convoluted spots and few of them came off. I was genuinely shocked to hear a section of the crowd bust out "this is awesome" chants. I wanted to call back "no it isn'it!", but have never been one for that sort of thing.

One of the things I noticed that we talked about during this card was how no one ever follows up on a high spot with basic stomps, elbow drops, knee drops or any of your ABC ground game. You'll get SUPLEX VARIATION, cover, slow getting back to feet, maybe turn to crowd at this point, the opponent gets back to their knees in which case either:

1. Flashy kick of some sort

2. SUPLEX VARATION, cover, rinse repeat

While I am a big fan suplexes and throws, I do wonder why a lot of these guys don't seem to have basic elbow drops in their arsenal. Is it really easier to do a drop kick than to stomp? I don't get that development. It's a small niggle but one that highlights how illogical this style can be.

The Colt Cabana match was neither here nor there. And the Heavyweight title was clearly taking a backseat to the Cruiserweight title at this event.

Highlight of the night was seeing Devitt perform a double-foot stomp from the top rope onto a prone Liger. That is a BRUTAL move. He went over clean too. Mark Rocco cut a nice little promo about "showing them Americans what wrestling is all about and how it's done". He was one safe ground to get good pops with that sort of thing.

------

It sounds like I'm down on the show, but there was some really good stuff in there and for £15 I can't complain for a night of solid action. I am thinking about going back in October because Bret is coming to down.

I do get the feeling that "something is happening" in the British scene at the moment, but I say that with no real basis for comparison.

Preston City Wrestling is currently the "hot thing" in Britwres. They get about 800 for shows, do occasional weekenders with imports as well. Chris Masters does them a lot import wise, as does Goldust, and The Steiners are their tag team champions. Loads of British talent as well. Noam Dar's one of their top guys.

Personally I do a fair bit of work with Welsh Wrestling, and we also put on solid shows to a few hundred around the principality. No imports, but talents like James Mason who works most shows, Matt Vaughan, and Wild Boar Hitchman. I think Mark Haskins is doing a bit now as well. It's more of an All-Star style promotion, that's what I like from my wrestling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some photos from the Meet and Greet from before the show.

As was already mentioned, I felt it was good value for the £15. Some of the matches were a little ropey, but generally got the crowd involved. Will type up more thoughts about it when I have the time, but yeah, there was very little ground offense - I mean, there were submissions, but no stomps, elbow drops - one knee drop, which was noticeable enough for us to both comment on it.

I kept worrying the ring was going to break, especially when Dave Mastiff was in the ring with Rampage. Those guys were both solid units, and when Mastiff hit the turnbuckle hard, the ring moved a good inch or two.

Main event was solid if unspectacular - however, that was all it needed to be. Seeing Liger live was awesome, and it reminded me just how charismatic he can be as well. He worked the crowd like the seasoned pro he is, and was a pleasure to watch.