Pro Wrestling Only

Japan Wrestling Help Needed...

Smack2k

Need some help here...

I have tried several times to get into Japanese wrestling, but just cant due to the commentary taking my attention as I dont speak Japanese and not a big understanding of everyone outside the big names...

So....where can I learn about feuds and what built to big matches or why certain greats were against each other in the ring?

Or was Japan not like the US wrestling in terms of storylines, was it just "this guy is good, this guy is good, get in the ring and go?"

I mean no disrespect at all toward Japanese wrestling, and I REALLY want to enjoy matches that I keep hearing soo much great stuff about...but need some help!

The storylines are more organic and "pure sports build"; rivalries, new stars slowly moving up the ranks until they break out, round-robin tournaments, that sort of thing. The main hate-feuds are when guys from different promotions lock up, which is what inspired Bischoff to bring in Hall and Nash as WWF guys for the nWo rather than just the usual big name free agents.

I used to write a weekly column on puroresu, and if you scroll back (especially at the very start) every so often I focus on specific topics and concepts:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/insider/davidditch/

I've honestly never quite got the commentary hang up. I mean, the majority of wrestling commentary is "he hit that guy in the face/he slammed him to the mat".

Not singling anyone out for saying this. I've heard it regularly for... God, I don't even want to say how long now. ;-) It just never bothered me.

Ditch's old columns are indeed a tremendous starter for this sort of thing if you need the push.

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading through this and its GREAT and a huge help as well as reading a bunch about the histories of JWA / NJPW / AJPW / NOAH...Very interesting to see how each of these came to be and where they went, and their ups and downs...I know there are others to see (Dragon Gate / Big Japan and the smaller feds). but taking it slowly!

For All-Japan and NOAH, as of the articles I read, neither had TV as of 2011 it said...has this changed and are these two that good anymore?

What would you say are the best things to watch for NJPW, as that is where I am going to start, from the 80's and 90's?

AJ and NOAH have TV, just not on broadcast stations. NOAH has taken a nosedive of epic proportions in recent years but AJ is decent now, though it just went through a split with Mutoh taking a good chunk of the roster.

As for what to watch, I'd say take a gander at my match sites (theditch.biz, .com and .us) and see what looks interesting. More specific recommendations can come based on what you know and/or like.

How many Choshu vs. Tenryu Singles matches?

How many Choshu vs. Tsuruta Singles?

Thanks!

Choshu vs Tenryu:

-2/21/85, "Japan Pro"

-9/3/86, AJ

-1/4/93, NJ

-4/6/93, NJ

-A bunch of times in 2003 World Japan that don't count because Choshu was sooooo over the hill

Choshu vs Jumbo only happened once, in 1985, and it's really disappointing because of the length. Choshu going over 30 minutes was not a good idea.

Are there any nice write ups or articles out there on the decline of the wrestling business in Japan? I always seem to here how the popularity's gone but nobody mentions how it got there.

I cover a lot of that in my articles.