Pro Wrestling Only

Sgt. Slaughter

Superstar Sleeze

I have really grown to enjoy Sgt Slaughter's work from my limited viewing of his matches. His matches with Sheik are all they are cracked up to be. Plus I liked his WWF heel runs in '81 & '83. Even his Desert Storm match with Hogan in '91 is wicked good. Since my interest has been piqued in Nikolai Volkoff, I remembered I gave a cursory glance at a tag match with JYD against Sheiky & 'Ol Nik in the Spectrum No Holds Barred.

Sgt. Slaughter & Junkyard Dog vs Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff - Philly 11/84

The babyface shine seemed so weak and stilted. JYD looks like a broken down man at this point and is having a lot of trouble moving. All his offense looks awful. EVen Slaughter is hitting the foreigners with some weak weapon shots. I want to feel the hate, but they are giving it to me. It was not even close to the quality of the Slaughter/Sheik stuff even though the Philly crowd was nuclear for the whole match. Sheik & Slaughter were so over everywhere that can not be surprising. McMahon was fuckin loaded in 1984.

The match picks up with heat segment as Sheik & Volkoff isolate JYD and then play King of the Mountain with Slaughter. Sarge must have tried to enter the ring a half dozen times and was denied entry each time by the Big Russian. Eventually Sheik & Volkoff do a Double Camel Clutch. Slaughter finally gets on the apron and lets loose on Volkoff.

Then I saw something I never thought I see, the babyface collide on a cross-ring collision. Sheik & Volkoff isolate Slaughter this time whipping with a belt while JYD is on the outside. DOUBLE SLAUGHTER CANNON~! Philly loses their shit over this. Slaughter puts on the Cobra Clutch. Volkoff threatens with a chair, but JYD cuts him off at the pass. Sheik has no alternative, but submit to the Might of Americana!

This was a pretty disappointing match because I was just expecting Slaughter/Sheik bloodbaths just with the additional awesomeness of Volkoff. It was a decent patriotic match that popped the crowd, but left me wanting more especially when I know the participants could have a lot better matches.

1990 / 1991 Slaughter was MONEY on the mic....you fully believed he was down with Iraq and Saddam...and the Rumble '91 match is memorable not for the work, but for the whole angle..

Burning that Hulk shirt and his total demeanor was phenominal and just what he needed to be...

The Mania VII match and the matches afterward that summer were really good (even though Summerslam 91 should have been the Desert Storm Blow Off Match)

Slaughter in the AWA was good to in his matches with Hansen in 1986 and his war agains the Sheik in 1985...

I think Slaughter is one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time. I kinda wonder what Bill Watts could have done with him. Evert territory he went to he had matches that were really good, he cut great promos, and drew money in the majority of areas he went to. His promo with Kernoodle, and Valentine where they rip up the little kids drawing is one of my favorite segments ever in the Final Conflict build.

Oh shit, that's right...his Mid-Atlantic run slipped my mind when I posted earlier...

That team with Kernodle was awesome and he was again a great, believable heel. You bought that his cobra clutch was unbreakable...he was even better when Steamer and Youngblood broke Jim Nelson's and he comes on TV saying - "You cant break MY Cobra Clutch...."

• 7 months later...

Sarge is a guy whose every match has me coming away shaking my head and asking myself why I never rated him before. Perhaps it's time Will gave some thought to a small project?

Just watched his match vs Ivan Putski on the Jan 84 MSG card. Slaughter is great at building heat with nothing but how slowly he takes off his shades and belt before the match, showing him to be a little afraid of the muscly beast Putski. He even runs away when the match first starts. But once in the ring, he bumps like a worker half his size. It really puts over how strong Putski is, especially since the guy has kind of a Taz/Dean Malenko build next to the relatively tall Slaughter. The match degenerates into a heated brawl that even includes a little blood.

Not the main event by any means -- it's not a long match. But it does all the little things right. And it once again has me feeling great admiration for the man.