Pro Wrestling Only

07/26 - Thoughts on the following wrestlers

Loss

Undertaker - never a big fan but also haven't seen more than 20% of his work so my comments with him are useless.

Arn Anderson - I liked the stooging Arn so much more than "Technical Anderson" Arn. So 1987-1992 is incredible.

Juventud Guerrera - Fuck him from after 1999 but before, so much talent and so much potential.

Blue Panther - best Lucha mat worker ever probably, just topping Negro Navarro.

Keiji Muto - I like 5 of his matches. The other thousand suck.

Tim

Undertaker - I always felt Taker gets a raw deal from the smart crowd because he spent the prime of his career matched off with some of the worst workers in pro wrestling history. Frankly, it's a testament to his ability that he was able to become a huge star when he was feuding with guys like Mable, Yoko, and Giant Gonzalez.

Arn Anderson - Probably the best tag team worker ever, he was able to work well with an amazing variety of partners. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Arn Anderson match, and that's not something you can say about a lot of people.

Juventud Guerrera - It's almost enough to make you cry to think where he'd be if he didn't quit messing himself up with drugs. I hope he stays straight with this WWE gig he has now, he's got that silly-but-not-too-silly personality that's made for getting over WWE style gimmicks.

Keiji Muto- The Steve Austin of Japan in the sense that he had two distinctly separate careers: A high-workrate early half, and the more brawling second half. Like Austin, the brawling second half seemed to be his biggest success period.

The Undertaker ~ I loved me some Deadman Inc. To be honest, the only thing I like about zombie version of 'Taker is his entrance, especially at Wrestlemania's. I used to hate watching his "No Sell" everything only to sit up. I think people sleep on how good a worker 'Taker can be when he's "feeling it." I liked when he expanded his repertoire. He started using MMA style armbars and shit. He started doing the spot where he Irish Whips his opponent into the corner, charges in with a Clothesline, then bounces off the opposite side ropes to hit a Big Boot. I mark for that sequence. I also liked the leg drop on the apron that he started using. The armwork made the "Old School" spot make more sense. He was even using some Triangle Chokes and Dragon Sleepers for awhile. Hell, he still busts out a Plancha every now and then! I was sad when he went back to the zombie for Wrestlemania XX against Kane, although the buildup entertained me and it led to another fabulous entrance. I don't always like what's 'Taker is doing. I was a huge Hassan mark and watching 'Taker dispose of Hassan, five masked "associates" and Daivari was a little much to stomach. His undefeated streak at Wrestlemania seems to be one thing in prowrestling the people still consider somewhat important. Even if most of the wins were over jobbers like Kamala, Albert & Nathan Jones. I like The Undertaker. He pretty much defines what Sports Entertainment is. I thought he looked better with the short hair. I actually wanted to buy the "Deadman Inc." and "Big Evil, Red Devil" shirts.

Arn Anderson ~ I like Double A. I liked the Brainbusters. I liked the IV Horsemen. I even liked his Dangerous Alliance stuff. Watching Anderson finish with a Spinebuster or a DDT is a treat. I marked out hardcore when he hit the Spinebuster on The Undertaker out of left field in 'Taker's Wrestlemania match with Ric Flair. For a second, I actually thought that Ric Flair was going to be the man to end the Wrestlemania winning streak. I think that Anderson was an underrated talker. His deep, raspy voice made for some good promos. "The beer's on ice!"

Juventud Guerrera ~ Eh, I liked him better when he still rocked the mask in WCW. He always seems sloppy to me. He did provide me with some entertaining curtain jerkers during Thunder and Nitro though. I thought he made a decent enough Cruiserweight Champion. I'm really digging the Mexicools too, unfortunately, I don't care if they wrestle or not. I'm just a mark for their stereotypical entrance. I like how they just randomly beat the slop out of people then grab the mic and you can't understand a word they say. Ha!

Blue Panther ~ I don't know who that is.

Keiji Muto ~ Oh my God, where to begin? At one time, I thought he was the best worker in North America. The Great Muta was so original and ahead of his time in WCW, that you couldn't help but be drawn to him. He was doing Moonsaults and shit way before they were popular. He was fast, agile and original. He was something different and grabbed my attention. Now, his knees are trash but he can still be entertaining. I mark out for his robe during his entrance much like I used to mark for his various headgear. He was the first person I ever saw use Poison Mist, A Moonsault, a Hurricanrana and Headscissors. I love his elbow drop and I think that Low Ki does him justice. His face paint was great. I'm a big fan of the Shining Wizard and the innovative ways where he tries to connect with them.

Here's something to ponder: If the bulk of Taker's in-prime matches weren't against some of the worst workers in history, could he have been an even bigger star?

He has that silent coolness vibe that could have landed him in action movies or even westerns ala early Clint Eastwood. In fact, his Deadman gimmick always reminded me a little of The Man With No Name just in how they go about their business.

Undertaker: When I was 12 and he debuted, I loved his gimmick. The older I got, however, the less I was into him. Not one of my least favourites, but far from a favourite of mine.

Arn Anderson: I was happy he was included in the "Greatest Stars Of The 80s" DVD, because I find Arn never really gets his due. Superb tag wrestler, and can go as a singles star as well. I remember watching a tag match was Tully against some other team (probably Tim Horner and someone else) and my dad (who generally hates wrestling) was really impressed with Arn's work. That's saying something when a non-fan likes your style.

Juventud Guerrera: I really wish he would get his own life back on track, because he's one of my favourite lucha stars. Has been in what's probably my favourite ECW match of all-time (versus Rey on 3/9/96) and has had many fine WCW matches. I really need to see some of his Mexico work. Really above average on the stick too.

Blue Panther: Haven't seen enough of the guy to fully judge, but the little amount I've seen, I like.

Keiji Muto: I'm pretty much on the same page as everyone else. I think he was the greatest ever in 1989 or so, but afterwards, damn, did he ever slide downhill...

Keiji Muto: I'm pretty much on the same page as everyone else. I think he was the greatest ever in 1989 or so, but afterwards, damn, did he ever slide downhill...

Have you seen his post-Great Muta matches? He's done well adapting to his limitations and using a whole different working style.

Have you seen his post-Great Muta matches? He's done well adapting to his limitations and using a whole different working style.

I admit to not seeing as much as others (my comments were about those I've seen, of course). Which matches do you recommend I check out?