Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-11-06-FCW-TV] William Regal vs Dean Ambrose

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [2011-11-06-FCW-TV] William Regal vs Dean Ambrose
  • 1 year later...

William Regal vs Dean Ambrose - FCW 11/6/11

I am always hesitant to call any match a carryjob but I think I would classify this as Regal carrying Dean Ambrose to a very good match. The match is supposed to be heel vs heel but this match puts Ambrose in his best position to succeed and that's a babyface selling his ass off. I always thought selling was what Ambrose was best at. I feel like he should be in a tag team permanently and in the Ricky Morton role. I figure others probably disagree with me but I dont think Ambrose is very good at all on top. 

Ambrose at this time was doing an impersonation of Dick Slater. ;);) with a hint of Dick Murdoch. His selling is not always for me, but it is definitely not bland so I will give him that. On top of that, he does a great job selling his arm when he is on offense. He basically wrestles the match as if he was the drummer from Def Leppard. However, this match was Regal's through and through. He takes the bulk of the match and on top of that it is his spots that are the most memorable. Regal is the one forcing the action and basically leading Ambrose by the hand through the match. I love how Regal adds little bits of struggle throughout the match. One good example of this is Ambrose tries to target the arm early, but Regal claws at his nose. This forces Ambrose to FIGHT THROUGH it and EARN the wristlock. Damn good shit! That's on Regal for fighting back and not taking it lying down. Ambrose takes a nasty spill on the apron when Regal does a single leg pick up right before the break. Ambrose comes out favoring his arm and Regal just tortures him. I would not say this is quite on the level of some of the great Dick Murdoch arm work matches, but it was fun. I really liked the turnbuckle and stairs spot. I thought Ambrose's comeback was pretty weak. The selling of the dangling arm was great, but otherwise it left me cold and uninspired. Watch Regal sell the back elbow as Ambrose escapes the Regal Stretch. What a great fucking sell! Regal destroys the kid with Exploders and  a Running Knee. I was not expecting such a decisive win. This was pretty much a shellacking, but it was great to watch Regal kick ass and be a ring general. ***1/2