Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-04-AJW-Korakuen Super Charge] Manami Toyota vs Toshiyo Yamada

Loss

Previously at PWO:

If I wanted to be complimentary then it's certainly better than the 9/7/91 trainwreck. It makes me shudder just thinking about what a shambolic mess that was. This had it's moments in the first half and at times gave positive glimpses into the future of the rivalry. However the execution was light years away from what they would be doing later in the year. It was so sloppy. They also had no idea how to construct a singles match of such length. The moves had no logical reasoning behind them and there was no clear plan of what they wanted to be doing in the upcoming minutes. Way too ambitious. Funnily enough I'm glad this happened as it was invaluble for training purposes and they learnt from their mistakes. I don't think it's any loss not having it on the Yearbook however.

My old review - Manami Toyota vs Toshiyo Yamada As always, these two go really long when werestling each other. 1st 20 minutes is all mat work, nothing fancy just well worked basics with a few flurries of low level high spots thrown in every few mins. Last 10 things pick up, Yamada really stars laying in the kicks and getting more agressive, Toyota starts upping the pace and trying to use more flying stuff, neither is really going all out though yet. Kinda telegraphs things when 25+ in you're still busting out camel clutches and texas clover leafes. Last 5 minutes sees Toyota playing more the agressor with Yamada almost stalling a little bit, like she's puzzled on how to finish her off so we end up with yet another 30 minute draw between these 2. Toyota quickly appeals for an overtime period and surprisingly gets it. This is when the match really gets good. Toyota finally starts digging deepr into her aresenal of stuff, she bust out a lot of moonsaults, suplexes, some very hurty looking piledrivers and conveys a real sense of desperation. Yamada on the other hand still seems to be in more of a survival mode then in a "win at all cost" mode, still not sure how to finish off her opponent. Time limit runs out again but this is a special night so they're given yet another 5 mins after. Big Toyota chant breaks out as Yamada controlls most of this portion, lots of kicks, suplexes, piledrivers etc... of her own that look like they could finally get her the win she still comes up short. Toyota makes 1 last ditch effort but time runs out again and after 40 total mins things are declared a draw. Not their best work but I really enjoyed this one. This is one of those matches I can readily admit won't be everyone's cup of tea though. The 1st half is really slow but that's a style I dig when done a certain way and I was never bored watching them. The 2nd half has A LOT of sloppy work from Toyota, but I thought her passion and energy made up for it. Watching this I didn't feel like she was a performer in a show failing to properly execute a routine like this was a fucking olympic figure skating show or some shit which is how things come across with so many others. With Toyota it felt more real, like a someone in the fight of their life desperatly throwing out whatever they could think of to earn the win and to me stuff like that is far more important then whether you slip a little bit on the ropes doing a dive or don't hit a move all smooth and flawlessly. So yeah, dug this one a lot.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-01-04-AJW-Korakuen Super Charge] Manami Toyota vs Toshiyo Yamada
  • 1 year later...

40 minute match...kinda worrying on paper but this flowed way better than I thought it would. The pacing is still rather slow with most of the offence being basic mat work with a few cool counters and fast sequences being thrown in. Also Yamada had her kicks which will always pop me. The first bell threw me for a loop. I was unaware that there was a 30 minute time limit to this opposed to the 40 this gets extended to. It makes sense 30 is the traditional time limit. But like their 91 match, this goes 30 but Toyota asks to receive 5 more minutes, and again once that runs out. Then they noticeably switched up gears, throwing more all or nothing offence at each other, desperately trying to end the match and prove who is the better. They upped in tempo and intensity which worked great into the match. ***3/4