Pro Wrestling Only

(I know Brian usually posts when there's a new issue but...)

Brian Elliot has really done an incredible job turning Fighting Spirit Magazine into something different from any other English language wrestling magazine we've ever seen. FSM immediately caught my attention when Brian took over as editor because, well, a glossy wrestling magazine running a Vampiro profile by Phil Schneider is certainly something different. I talked to someone who had been under the impression was just another generic glossy wrestling magazine like WOW was, and I want to make sure nobody makes that mistake again.

Each month there's plenty of historical content and in general it's home for the type of wrestling writing that people on this board would really like. The new issue (#103) that came out today includes:

- My look at ECW's "Night the Line Was Crossed" 20 years later with exclusive comments from Sabu, Terry Funk, & Tommy Dreamer.

- Guest column by Kurt Angle on rehab, recovery, and the source of his depression.

- Guest column by Chris Jericho on current WWE and his podcast.

- A Mae Young obituary by historian Tim Hornbaker.

- John Lister on the history of wrestling on PPV.

- Jim Cornette's monthly column looks at the changes in wrestling revenue streams.

- Lister's monthly historical piece on older British wrestlers examining the career of Ricky Knight (father of Paige from NXT/husband of Saraya from Shimmer).

And more, like an interview with UFC executive Garry Cook, Mike Campbell on the rise of the Wyatt family, and a lot more.

I'm really, really proud of the work I'm doing in FSM. It's some of the best stuff I've ever written (my article coming in #104 may be the very best thing I've ever done) and having a magazine (and editor) so in sync with what I'm interested in is just wonderful. I really liked the article I did in #102 (in-depth look at the first year of the WWF expansion), but #103 is really a perfect issue for people to start with.

If you're in the UK you can get it at newsagents/newsstands, but the best way to get it elsewhere is online. There are apps for iPad/iPhone ($2.99 and you get any issue you want w/ purchase) and Android (free app, buy issues in-app) or you can get the issue directly from the FSM website.

If you've never read FSM before, please give this issue a shot. I think you'll all really enjoy it.

Met Brian a few years ago at a UFC lunch and who knows how after touching 30 different subjects we ended up talking about Kyoko Inoue and Manami Toyota while everybody else in that table was staring at us wide eyed and nodding. Good guy, if he didn't work 300 hours a week he'd be a great fit for this board.

I will give the next two issues a shot.

What is your article about?

Met Brian a few years ago at a UFC lunch and who knows how after touching 30 different subjects we ended up talking about Kyoko Inoue and Manami Toyota while everybody else in that table was staring at us wide eyed and nodding. Good guy, if he didn't work 300 hours a week he'd be a great fit for this board.

I will give the next two issues a shot.

What is your article about?

In the new issue it's the article about the 20th anniversary of ECW's "The Night the Line Was Crossed" show. Previous issue was the first year of the WWF expansion.

Beating the drum of the magazine for like nearly 3 years now.

I was DONE with Wrestling magazines for years. Powerslam and previous incarnations of FSM were horrible and I felt too old/embarrassed to buy them over the counter. In the most succinct way possible the best Wrestling columnists in the World writing about varied and interesting subjects on a lengthy I never though commercially feasible in a news stand magazine. If you are a Wrestling fan to the point you visit this forum you should try FSM at least once no matter where you are in the world.

The Angle column is pretty much a must-read. A complete 180 from everything he's said the last 7+ years since he left WWE, and that's a good thing. Very blunt, shockingly honest piece about the emotional issues that drove him to addiction and how he learned to identify and deal with them.