Pro Wrestling Only

Raw 8/29/05

Coffey

The Hardy/Edge Street Fight was better than it had any right to be. It's what the match at Summerslam should've been.

WWE seems to be teasing smart fans that keep calling who's going to return. I've been guessing Trips and Trish to come back since before Summerslam. I think Trips will come back on the first USA show but I don't know what to think about Trish anymore.

I hope Angle gets the title off of Cena, although I did laugh at his Geico comment.

Tomko made it back to Raw. LOL

I don't think we'll see Trips until the first USA show unless someone backstage panics since Spike is kicking WWE in the balls by not only running those "WRESTLING IS TEH FAKE" ads for UFC programming, they're running ads for TNA now during RAW.

In Vince's mind, I bet he thinks he's punishing them by keeping his biggest star (HHH) off RAW.

As far as tonight's show, I really hate when they do angles like the Edge/Hardy stuff and everyone gets all shooty until they come back from the break and everyone's back in Wrestling Announcer Mode for the next segment. I mean, I like how they played off Edge's real neck injury and he sold it like he was afraid for his life, but when everyone moves on to the next segment it cheapens everything. Not to mention it trains the fans to think every injury is a work, which is bad because sometimes shit happens and the Marky McMarkersons will think it was part of the show.

I'm also not going to get excited about the Flair angle, since it always ends up being a swerve to get Flair back with HHH, at least it was the last 546 times they did it.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Mamas speculating its to get Flair,H, Carlito, and Masters together. While that would be interesting. I personally wouldnt want to see as the the evoulution of evoulution or some other stable. If they did the occassional team up for a heel beatdown fine. But I think H would take away from the potential of both Carlito and Masters.

I liked everything about this here episode of Raw cept "Tyson Tomoko kicks so hard he can single handedly destroy the tag team champions."

I don't think we'll see Trips until the first USA show unless someone backstage panics since Spike is kicking WWE in the balls by not only running those "WRESTLING IS TEH FAKE" ads for UFC programming, they're running ads for TNA now during RAW.  

In Vince's mind, I bet he thinks he's punishing them by keeping his biggest star (HHH) off RAW.

As far as tonight's show, I really hate when they do angles like the Edge/Hardy stuff and everyone gets all shooty until they come back from the break and everyone's back in Wrestling Announcer Mode for the next segment.  I mean, I like how they played off Edge's real neck injury and he sold it like he was afraid for his life, but when everyone moves on to the next segment  it cheapens everything. Not to mention it trains the fans to think every injury is a work, which is bad because sometimes shit happens and the Marky McMarkersons will think it was part of the show.

I'm also not going to get excited about the Flair angle, since it always ends up being a swerve to get Flair back with HHH, at least it was the last 546 times they did it.

GREAT point. When they do segments like that, they should really finish off the show. But in that, you have the whole thinking-inside-the-box mentality that poisons WWE, because they see Edge and Hardy as midcarders and won't put them in the main event slot for that reason, even if the angle they're trying to sell us necessitates it. Remember in the days before Crash TV when they could headline RAW with an IC title match between Marc Mero and Hunter Hearst Helmsley and no one thought it was weird or anti-climatic? God, I hate Vince Russo.

Guest CanadianChick

Wanna know something sad Loss? I've been so ruined by Russo that when I saw Edge/Matt as a match tonight, I thought for sure someone was going to interfere in a bullshit finish, because that seems to be the number 1 way to build a feud no a days.

I was impressed by Edge's acting, if nothing else. Actually, I quite enjoyed that match/angle, but it would have been an effective ending, rather than what we got. Masters/CCC vs. Shawn/Flair would have been fine first hour, in my opinion.

Yeah, I liked Raw tonight. Even though they had rehashed angles they were set up nicely and well executed. Also the announcing was much better than usual. And they also seem to be experimenting with new camera angles/shots which is a welcome change.

Also, it's pretty clear that CCC and Masters have moved passed Edge on the heel depth chart. I don't know if this program is doing Hardy OR Edge any good whatsoever. It has put Edge right back in the midcard after they had him dangling in the Main event scene for a while at the beginning of the year.

Some people have been saying that Masters is just cannon fodder to give Shawn his heat back after the Hogan program, but I think it is the start of a monster Orton-like push. Like others have said I see Masters and CCC joining HHH and Flair to reform Evolution.

as an aside, did anyone notice how ridiculously skinny Torrie Wilson has gotten? She must be scared to death of all the new women coming in.

The Hardy/Edge Street Fight was better than it had any right to be. It's what the match at Summerslam should've been.

I enjoyed the hell out of that match, except for, most notably, the spot where Matt originally went after Lita. I thought Edge recovered way too quickly considering he had his HEAD DRILLED INTO STEEL STEPS just seconds ago. Other than that, fun street fight.

What I really liked is how it made Matt Hardy stand out more than ever before. As much as I agree with Sek and Loss about how it should've finished off the show, the execution by both guys, as well as Lita, was well done. I like how Edge was literally crying in fear over the events, while Matt was simply quivering a little, as if he still wanted to fight. It went along nicely with his "I will not die" character. Lita looked a lot more humble than usual too, and along with Edge's fear over his neck injury, it's quite a nice turnaround by all parties, as now Matt has the edge in this whole thing.

They really blew it, though, by not having the announcers at all, if even in a solemn state, say, "Well, Matt Hardy lived to his word", which is going back to the promo he did versus Lita. That, as well as not having this as the last thing on the show, were the only real glaring points of the segment, in my opinion.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Cade and Murdochs promo was the highlight of the show, for me. Murdochs character, though speaking way more than I'd like to have heard, was classic and he was pulling off Dustin Rhodes almost better than the man himself. The end with "and that's him when he's happy" (or whatever it was) along with the shot was a nice touch. Cade is so good there and I can't wait to see what they do in the ring together (character-wise) because reactions like that and the big-ass grin on his face are priceless. These are the best promos they've done for a while.

I also liked the "pecking order" line, referring back to last week in a bit of continuity from Carlito. Of course, Michaels had to completely ruin it with shitty over-the-top comic selling of it.

Hardy/Edge is the same match over and over and over again. I liked it at Summerslam because it was fresh, now it's not. I would, however, like to see some No Mercy 99 references and how they made _each other_ in that match. Too much is riding on Lita here, as if the fact that it was Edge -someone who Hardy was close with and had so much history with- has nothing to do with it. It's a bit of a big-miss, but then again, that's nothing new with this feud.

Tomko getting the wins with his Tomkuza kick was great, and showing his HEAT wins was good. I wanted his match with Rosey to go longer, though, and not have Rosie KO'd but rather unable to continue because of a broken rib. I think we should call Tyson, Mirko Tomkop :) .

And bringing Cade and Murdoch in to a dead division is not good. They need to build some face teams for them. Viscera and Val Venis will not cut it. Quite frankly, they should give serious thought to merging the tag titles with a Cade/Murdoch vs. LOD unification match and having them be Raw-exclusive. Raw can drop the womens division since there hasn't been a title defense in months, and Smackdown can elevate the cruisers (har har har).

Trades for cruisers in Tajiri and Hurricane (and someone else), for tag wrestlers in Bob Holly and MNM. A face MNM vs. heel Cade and Murdoch would be the perfect red state vs. blue state feud. Holly and Venis were a good team for the brief time they paired up and can be the gatekeepers of the division. A feud with the guys guys in Holly and Val vs. the guys guys in the Heartbreakers would be a possibility. I think once Hardy/Edge is done, a Hardy/RVD team would kick-ass as two guys who are anti-WWE and just-dont-give-a-fuck. Kane and Big Show, I thought, were good as a team and would be the Big Guys in the division.

MNM (face)

C&M (heel)

Venis/Holly (face)

Kane/Big Show (heel/face)

RVD/Hardy (tweeners - faces to the crowd, but compete against heels and faces)

Heartbreakers (heels)

Some Dupree/Tomko/Kerwin White/Rosie combination (heels)

That's enough to take you to Mania, at least, in terms of cycling teams around and challenging for the title.

They do this way too much. Didn't they do this with Kane and Snitsky in January? I'm pretty sure they did because I was there live at the show. How much longer are they going to recreate Foley/Funk getting thrown off the stage? Where was Ashley, out to cry and shout out shoot names and look for a hug? It had no effect on me whatsoever, and I like both guys. The problem is, when they try to be "real" they look more "fake". Everyone knows they are not hurt, and the more they try to push it, they more they push away. Fuck timing, there is simply a lack of creativity or originality in doing such contrived finishes.

And Cenas promos are awful. Angles weren't much better. Why, exactly, does Angle not give a fuck any more? What has changed in his life that made him so different?

There was nothing wrong with Angle's and Cena's promo. I thought it was well executed especially on Angle's part. They at least made me want to watch their match at the PPV even more so they succeeded. Cena should beat Angle for a number of reasons.

Cenas promos have been horrible ever since he went to the "YO YO YO YO YOOOOOOOOO! WHAT'S HAPPENIN YALL~! THE. CHAMP. IS. HERE~! MAKE SOME NOIZE~! YEAH YEAH! I CAN'T STOP YELLING ENTHUSIASTICALLY! Alright, Alright, Alright, now listen... *insert lame joke*" Clearly, the guy can cut a promo and his delivery is very good, but he's trying way too hard and the crowd reactions are becoming less and less. His character has no edge. At all. And the longer he goes down on the uber-pandering-babyface route, the more the fans will resist and reject.

I generally don't like Angles promos. I would consider his promo on Monday an improvement _for him_, but I don't think it was very good. If it got you hyped, great, but I didn't really care. I'd rather Angle say little or _nothing_. Saying nothing shows focus and intensity better than yelling alot. He also came "down" throughout the promo, starting off strong and then leveling out.

I'd like a "Angle's injuries are getting worse, he doesn't have much time left. He has 2 or 3 years tops if he takes it easy, but if he takes it easy he won't have a chance to win any more gold. He has to make his move, and he is choosing now against a guy he knows he can beat, because he has done so in the past. When he started out in the WWE, he didn't give 100% because he wanted a 10 year career. Clearly, that isn't happening now. The last time he gave it his all, he almost got himself paralyzed - it was at the Olympics, and he won gold by doing so. He is essentially going on a suicide mission - his candle is burning twice as bright, but only for half as long. Cena has a long career ahead of him, so is he willing to risk it all like Angle is? "

Also, it should definitely be noted that the promo's came off lackluster because they followed the Hardy/Edge "serious" moment which should've ended the show. It fucked up the flow of the program when we see Flair backstage bleeding, yet it's not a big deal, then Edge/Hardy on stretchers, and it's supposed to be a HUGE deal and then Cena comes out and tells car insurance jokes.

The only thing that I didn't like about the promo was the fact that Cena was saying that maybe he couldn't beat Angle because he was an Olympic gold medalist. But didn't Cena beat Angle earlier this year in an #1 contenders match? I hate when they don't show progression in feuds. It's like they only just met a few weeks back.