Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-01-21-CMLL] Blue Panther vs Negro Casas

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

A little disappointing, you want this match up to be an all time classic and instead we get a very fun brawl with a run in finish. Still this is Negro Casas and Blue Panther brawling and it is pretty damn great. The pace they set was pretty impressive for two guys in their 50s as they pretty much went after each other bell to bell. I love all of the headbuts, and the dueling limb work with Casas attacking the knee and Panther wrenching at the arm. Both submission finishes were very cool, and it felt like it was building to something great before the Felino kid run in. I do love the constant Casas singles matches we are getting in 2014, although he hasn't dropped a true gem yet.

Casas consistently amazes me. Even just the bump he takes off of a clothesline at his age or how high he can get his kick to someone's face. The submission to end the first caida was pretty cool and I'd love for someone to do it with a giant swing. Segunda caida was brisk but super focused with the leg work and the STF to end was nasty. I think only shorter people should use them. Having to reach makes for way more visual tension. I liked Panther trying to lock on one of his own later too.

The momentum shift is funny but believable. Stubborn old man Casas really wanted to dropkick Panther. I love how Casas basically toeholds the leg during a pincover after the missed second rope somersault senton. Casas does so many things well but I think it's his mannerisms/body language that I like the best, whether it be the exasperation after Panther gets one up on him by countering the diviving headbutt or the way he revs himself up before launching an attack on an unsuspecting Panther after the ref breaks a hold. I swear I saw him adjusting the camera guy at one point with a little wave to get a better spot at the stuff they were about to do on the apron. They made the shot to the pole look suitably huge since it was supposed to start the armwork but it all ends far too soon with the run-ins.

This was obviously very good and I thought Casas especially looked great but I could have used a bit more in the momentum shifts and probably another couple of minutes before the run in.

• GSR changed the title to [2014-01-21-CMLL] Blue Panther vs Negro Casas