Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-10-02-WWE-NXT] Santino Marella & Emma vs Fandango & Summer Rae

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [2013-10-02-WWE-NXT] Santino Marella & Emma vs Fandango & Summer Rae
  • 1 year later...

Emma & Santino Marella vs Fandango & Summer Rae - NXT 10/2/13

This match has intrigued me for years as Jimmy Redman placed it in her Top 10 out of 100 WWE Matches of 2013 (a very loaded year for the WWE). I really liked the original Emma gimmick and her liked her match with Paige on the first NXT Takeover. This is the Rockers vs Rougeaus of the Modern Era except it stays comedy throughout. I am not going to review every comedy spot because my words won't do it justice. The pre-match is pretty hilarious and there are some really funny spots in the match and one that did really get me. I think what holds this back for me is just how useless and bland Fandango is. I have always thought he could so much more with the gimmick. I grew up on dancing gimmicks like Alex Wright, Disco Inferno and La Parka. You really need just one signature move and you would be good. I never felt he went full bore with the comedy of the gimmick. The Fashion Police he became more entertaining as a character, but still left something to be desired in the ring. I will forever remember him coining the term "Aerogigantic" which still cracks me up. I dont think I have gotten to say my piece on Fandango. Emma and Santino ruled with better heels, I thought this could have been really special, definitely still worth checking out. I wish Emma got a better break. I can see that the gimmick has a shelf life, but weird palmless gloves and blue lipstick were not the solution. ***1/2

This is probably my favorite NXT match I've ever seen live. Emma like Bray Wyatt before her and Sami/Finn after her was the most over person at Full sail at the time. I just remember poping so bad when Santino came out. Sleeze, if you want to see some really good Fandango, you need to check out when he was Johnny Curtis feuding with Derrick Bateman and Maxine in the original NXT. That shit was great.