Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-08-23-NOAH-Navigation Over The Date Line] Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Makoto Hashi vs Kenta Kobashi & Tamon Honda & Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Kobashi, Honda, KENTA & Marufuji vs Akiyama, Saito, Kanemaru & Hashi, NOAH August 23rd

Background: Kobashi's Burning stable and Akiyama's Sternness stable had been at war for the past year, producing quality multi-man tag matches one after another. Marufuji is involved by virtue of his team with KENTA, which means that Kobashi's side includes both sets of tag champions *and* the GHC heavyweight champion. Quite the unit.

Why I think it's underrated: As a smaller-show tag designed to build towards Marufuji/KENTA vs Kanemaru/Hashi at the end of the tour, this wouldn't grab headlines. However, it's possibly the best multi-man tag of the decade. We're treated to one good pairing after another, hot nearfalls even in the middle of the match, strong pace given the length, and a finish that feels a lot bigger than you would have expected going in.

What it deserves: Top 50. I realize some people will always place title matches ahead of tags, but I think on the merits this deserves to place high.

Burning (Kenta Kobashi, Tamon Honda, KENTA) & Naomichi Marufuji vs Sterness (Jun Akiyama, Akitoshi Saito, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Makoto Hashi) - Korakuen 08/23/03

I was watching a spotfest when I wrote this. Forgive me if it goes astray.

I have actually been looking forward to seeing KENTA & Marufuji's big run as it is something I missed that is highly polarizing. I am always interested in wrestling acts that are highly polarizing. I really liked the KENTA/Nakajima series from 2009 and in general enjoyed him. I always thought Marufuji would have been better off on the Japanese gymnastics team or the Japanese version of Jackass/Stupid Human Tricks. This is NOT a Kobashi/Akiyama match at all. It is actually quite jarring watching Kobashi & Akiyama take part in such a 00s spotfest. I am not trying to say they are beneath it. It is just not how they work that makes this strange to watch. This is definitely a KENTAFuji showcase and their new en vogue style.

This match affirms everything I remember: KENTA is pretty good and Marufuji is just atrocious. There are just so many lame gymnastics exchanges from Marufuji that look especially bad when Kobashi comes in and just chops the fuck out of Kanemaru. KENTA is athletic, but remembers to actually hit you. I thought this was a very quiet performance from Honda, which disappointed me after his monster performance in the GHC Tag Title match. I could watch Kobashi chop the fuck out of Hashi & Kanemaru all day. Once Marufuji starts getting his ass kicked I start to enjoy the match a lot more. Nothing makes me want someone to get their ass kicked more than after they hit Sliced Bread No. 2. When you hit that move, I just want you to take closed fists to the head and piledrivers to eternity. Unfortunately all good things come to an end and Marufuji takes out Akiyama's knee and tags in the big man, Kobashi. Kobashi crushes Akiyama. Saito throwing KENTA down with an urnage was the best thing he has ever done. If this review seems disjointed, it is because they are just throwing out a ton of shit. Saito powerbombs KENTA and Kanemaru frogsplash, but triple save. Burning quadruple teams Kanemaru. Ballshot Kanemaru! Use the Ballshot!!! In the spot of the match Kobashi puts Kanemaru on Honda and winds him up to hit an Inverted Alabama Slamma. That was pretty cool. KENTA runs through some offense, but gets pinned from behind on a rollup. What the fuck?!?!?!

KENTAFuji are taking over. Ok? Get used to it. Spotfest in every sense of the word. It is a really fun match with some cool stuff in it. I thought the finish was pretty lame as they should have gone out like they came in a blaze of glory. I dig spotfests, but they can only get so high for me. ***1/2

• 5 months later...

So I hate Marufuji. On paper the inclusion of Marufuji in a matchup I typically like (Burning vs Sternness) would fill me with dread. But I've seen this match and I think it's actually better than most of the Burning vs Sternness matches. Marufuji actually helps the match because I love the section when they beat the crap out of him. Overall the atmosphere of this match is wild and it has a great pace. This is a lock for my ballot.

• GSR changed the title to [2003-08-23-NOAH-Navigation Over The Date Line] Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Makoto Hashi vs Kenta Kobashi & Tamon Honda & Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA