Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-04-11-WWE-Smackdown] Cesaro vs Big Show

Loss

(Talk about it here.)

This was a good little match that had many fun spots. It did seem like there was a lot missing, or at least more that could've been done. I liked Cesaro's stalling and the consultation with Heyman, who was mic'd on commentary when he told Cesaro to take Show's air away. Cool stuff. Love Cesaro's european uppercut strikes. Match gets thrown when Swagger interferes as Cesaro sets up the swing. Big Show takes exception and choketosses him out. Cesaro his the Neutralizer and looked strong as fuck doing so.

Everyone played their roll here well. Interesting dynamic with Cesaro being a noble tweener with a heel manager in Heyman. Show looks like he still as something to prove with the disapproval of Swaggers interference. Hopefully Cesaro and Swagger can blow off their thing before Extreme Rules because I would like to see a rematch between the two in which Cesaro gets his shine with the suplex over the top (which I'm sure is doable if Show takes it from the first or second turnbuckle) and the at-least-ten-rotation swing. Seems like something they should do on PPV (or a network special, as they seem to call them now.)

Smackdown was real good shit this week.

There was so much I loved about this presentation. Cesaro having no entrance music really makes him stand out from the pack and I hope that continues. I also liked how Heyman's managerial guidance actually played a role. Cesaro tabled his instincts to use his strength simply to show off when a suplex to the floor falied and Heyman told him to take away Big Show's air, then started riding him with sleeperholds and other wear-down moves. So good. Show, who's losing mighty svelte these days by the way, attempts a middle rope elbow drop but misses. I didn't care for Swagger coming in because I'd like for Cesaro to move on quickly, but I really enjoyed everything else about this entire presentation. I don't know if this was a great match, but it hit every booking and general presentation note so perfectly that it didn't have to be.

• GSR changed the title to [2014-04-11-WWE-Smackdown] Cesaro vs Big Show
  • 3 years later...

This was a logical match coming out of the Wrestlemania Battle Royal.  I liked Cesaro taking advice from Heyman and changing up his strategy to wear Big Show down.  Big Show going for, and missing, an elbow off the second rope was pretty impressive.  That is not something a guy his size and age needs to be doing, especially on a random Smackdown midcard match.  Swagger interfered for the DQ finish, but Cesaro still gets a visual victory on Big Show by hitting a Neutralizer.  DQ finishes are never satisfying but I enjoyed this enough.  I could see a three way match coming out of this.