Pro Wrestling Only

Sting as the Joker

Smack2k

I know it gets a bad rep, but I honestly feel like the first few months of the act made for entertaining TV. The segments with Anderson kept a creepy tone, and the random guys showing up in crazy clown masks added an unpredictable element to the mix. I don't remember when it was revealed to be Angle, but he was eventually phased into the feud and took the title in time to headline the 2011 Bound For Glory.

It all actually made sense and led to the awesomely underrated Hogan/Sting payoff at BFG, too. I don't care what anyone says. In terms of a feeling like a true last chapter to the saga, their final encounter in TNA was so much better than anything WCW ever served up.

Sting's always been one of those guys that looked a little uncomfortable in his own skin as a performer at times. There are times he looks like a true showman out there, and then there are times where he just looks lost. It's strange. But I felt like he really had some fun when he got to mix it up in the Joker persona.

Was it a blatant ripoff? Sure. But ya get that ALL THE TIME in wrestling. Hell, some of the most popular characters are direct, cheap knockoffs of things in mainstream media or pop culture. Just goes with the territory - so why pretend that the business is suddenly too good for that sort of thing? Never got the line of thinking when it came to stuff like that.

But yeah. Sting sure seemed to have some fun with it. He hammed it up a bit TOO MUCH at times, but nothing ridiculously bad or embarrassing really. He went a little too Jim Carrey Riddler on a few promos, when he could have dialed it down a bit. But when it came to the more "serious in nature" stuff, I think he did generally well. Sting's not a guy that you expect dynamite character work from anyhow. But I thought he did exceptionally well in a role that FINALLY felt like something fresh for him - after at least a decade of doing the same routine.

But yeah. Sting sure seemed to have some fun with it. He hammed it up a bit TOO MUCH at times, but nothing ridiculously bad or embarrassing really. He went a little too Jim Carrey Riddler on a few promos, when he could have dialed it down a bit. But when it came to the more "serious in nature" stuff, I think he did generally well.

I remember Sting taking a massive beat down backstage. Just before (Hogan I believe) hit him with a baseball bat, he looked up and said... "Oh crap...." It was pretty bad.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoXJdOkY54

I dont know, watching it back now, I think its kinda different and enjoyable...sure its a direct take from Batman, but his most famous character was a direct ripoff too....they just destroyed that one in like 4 weeks on TV in late 97 and early 98..at least this one lasted...

ITs one of the only things I have really enjoyed from TNA from start to finish after being lead on several times only to be let down a TON!! Aces and Eights, I am calling you!