Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-10-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg vs Meng

Loss

• 2 months later...

Both NWOs are lumberjacks for this one. The NWO black-and-white is offering their support to Meng, a WCW guy. I will not stop beating this drum. The Wolfpac stop them from beating up Goldberg when Goldberg falls to the outside. This match was too short, as the Goldberg-Meng stuff was really good and I was hoping for more of it. Post-match, Hogan hits Goldberg from behind with a chair. Nash comes in and runs him off. Goldberg gets up and thinks Nash did it and spears him. Dumb booking all around, as it makes Goldberg look blind and stupid.

• 1 month later...

Both NWO as lumberjacks was lame. Meng is hyped at being dangerous which is good and Hogan cheering him own felt wrong considering their WWF history. Meng locks on the tongue of death but lets go for some dumb reason and a spear and jackhammer late gives Goldberg the victory. Afterwards, Hogan hits Goldberg with a chair but there is some confusion as Nash cleans house and has the chair and GOldberg spears him setting the seeds for something down the line. (*1/2)

• 1 year later...

I find the sight of Michael Buffer doing his full-blown intro for Meng to be rather hilarious. I don't get this storyline or why the NWO are lumberjacks. Goldberg and Meng trading blows is actually a lot of fun and I agree on wanting to see a full match between these two. Instead we get a rather dumb ending where Meng releases the Tongan Death Grip for no real reason. Goldberg wins, Nash saves Goldberg from a postmatch Hogan attack, but Goldberg only sees Nash holding the chair and drops him with a spear. And there's your Starrcade main event. It might not be an ideal one but at least it shows some kind of foresight, assuming they had the main event in line at this point.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-10-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg vs Meng