Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-08-24-WWF-Raw] The Undertaker, Vince McMahon and Steve Austin

Loss

• 2 months later...

Vince has given Undertaker an end-of-the-show deadline - is Undertaker a Vince McMahon friend or foe? Then Gregorian chants start with the lights dimming as druids bring a casket to the ring. This is followed by Undertaker making an entrance. Fans chant either "boring" or for Austin during his promo - I can't tell which. Undertaker wants Austin out NOW and Vince interrupts him. Vince wants an answer. Undertaker teases a handshake then gives Vince a chokeslam before Austin pops out of the casket. Why I have no idea. Then Kane comes out of the casket behind Austin while Undertaker stands by watching the two fight. Austin is awesome and the build for this match has been excellent, despite all the silly stuff with random fire, the hearse and the casket. The ending of the show is a fantastic visual with the ramp catching fire while "Highway To Hell" plays.

• 1 month later...

I loved Vince's reaction as he goes for the handshake and gets chokeslammed. I again think the visual was neat but some aspects of this angle including that randomly happening and Kane following Austin in the casket are a little too hokey for me. I may be in the minority but i stand by the fact that Michaels vs. Austin was a better build for me.

• 1 year later...

No, not everything here works, but as I've said...when you're as hot as the WWF, those types of things just don't matter in the big picture. The company, because the production is so slick and focused in all facets from the camera work to the commentary, can make you overlook those types of things while WCW usually does the precise opposite and draws even more attention on a given angle's shortcomings.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-08-24-WWF-Raw] The Undertaker, Vince McMahon and Steve Austin