Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-09-14-Beyond the Mat] Michael Modest and Tony Jones WWF tryout

Loss

• 2 months later...

Footage from Beyond The Mat of Mike Modest and Tony Jones getting their WWF tryout before RAW. Cornette tells them not to get nervous because the crowd will probably not be into them since they haven't been on TV. Ross and Vince watching the match on the monitor is fun. Jim Ross famously tells Tony Jones to work on his upper body.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved Cornette telling the wrestlers that they're the ones in control and not to let the crowd control them. What a wonderful old school idea. Today's fans think that their role is to lay down the law and tell the wrestlers how to do their job.

Tony Jones hasn't been taking his vitamins.

• 4 weeks later...

I found it odd that ROland would be that much on the line if they were signed. Speaking of which, Roland may be the carniest looking dude in wrestling in 1998 which says a lot. The clips of people watching the match were fun but Jones doesn't have the body and Modest doesn't look to have the size.

• 1 year later...

I'm amused by Roland Alexander speculating on how he could make APW bigger than it is...if he felt like it. I would love to see more of Vince critiquing actual matches. I'm with Jim Ross in "admiring the effort." I don't really see either guy as WWF material, at least not in the late '90s. Modest may have come 20 years too early.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-09-14-Beyond the Mat] Michael Modest and Tony Jones WWF tryout