Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-10-19-WCW-Nitro] Chris Jericho vs DDP

Loss

• 2 months later...

Jericho is getting over, but looking back, I do see some of the reasons not to shove him to the moon right away. He didn't really work like a main event heel in the ring. In an ideal world though, they'd realize he had something special and work with him to improve. Goldberg runs in the ring and spears Jericho when DDP is about to win the match, which pisses Page off. He then hits Jericho with a Diamond Cutter while Page and Goldberg have to be pulled apart.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was decent to good action and both guys mixed in some stuff you dont see too often like a tilt a whirl suplex. Jericho was able to work over Page a good bit but Page wasn't hindered heading into his match vs. Goldberg. I do feel the need sometimes to lambast Bobby on commentary just because I feel he gets more of a pass than Tony based on how many people like each respective person but him talking about how EVERYONE he talked to at a ticket on sale event was picking Page to beat Goldberg was awful and I was glad that TOny firmly put him in his place by saying Page was the decided underdog. Goldberg comes out at the end of this match and spears Jericho but DDP doesn't want to be outdone and gives him the Diamond Cutter. We then get a really cool out of control feeling pull apart that finally brings some intrigue and hype to their upcoming match Sunday. (**1/2)

• 1 year later...

Good overall segment, minus the commentary doing anything except talk about the match. If this were the WWF, the incessant talk about how this "could" be the end of Goldberg's streak and that a loss is inevitable would be taken as a sign that the company is ready to end the megapush--in WCW, it may just be the announcers winging it. The action in the match is good and Jericho gets in a good run of offense, and even gets a win when Goldberg runs in and spears him. Good post-match pull-apart too--from reading recaps I think the build to this match was better than the Yearbook gives it credit for. Of course, there are only so many segments from any given 3-hour Nitro that you can include.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-10-19-WCW-Nitro] Chris Jericho vs DDP