Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-10-19-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair Proclamation

Loss

• 2 months later...

Minneapolis Mayor Sharon Sayles Belton makes an appearance and is immediately the most over heel in WCW. She introduces John Randall of the Vikings and Kirby Puckett of the Twins, which seems to turn her babyface. They are here to declare today Ric Flair Day in Minneapolis. Flair barely gets his first sentence out when Eric Bischoff shows up. I'm not sure what to make of all of these local sports celebrity angles, but they do work with live crowds.

"I don't need some mayor with three names in the pig farming capital of the world coming out here screwing up my show" was a great line from Bischoff that made me laugh. The mayor is having a little too much fun and gets in a shouting match with Bischoff before John Randall and Kirby Puckett stand him down. Flair dances in the background. It's pointed out that Bischoff has unpaid warrants he needs to take care of. Bischoff says, "I paid those!" and again makes me laugh. Bischoff goes backstage to find a lawyer help him get out of his situation, only to find that they are towing his car.

They are really doing a good job with the story of the Horsemen taking back their company by using whatever friends in high places they have in every town to make life miserable for Uncle Eric.

Bischoff is awesome in this.

• 1 month later...

The mayor gets booed but this is two weeks before this state elects Ventura as governor, so I don't really trust their political preferences around this time. On cue, a big Ventura chant breaks out. The mayor does a good job of winning back over the crowd with John Randel and Kirby Puckett coming out. Flair seems genuinely happy to meet Kirby. They declare this Ric Flair day in MInneapolis. Bischoff comes out pissed and is great here. I loved his mocking gyration at the mayor getting in his face. Eventually, Bisch gets the boot and his Cadillac towed to boot. This is being drawn out but hasnt lost steam yet, as I had a smile on my face throughout this entire segment.

• 1 year later...

Sayles Belton turns the crowd around with Puckett and Randle, then clinches it by unveiling Ric Flair back in his original hometown. Knowing what we know about Kirby now I shudder to think what kind of trouble he and Ric got into on the town on this night. The police officer is pretty funny here, too: "You're from around here, and you know what our jails are like!"

• GSR changed the title to [1998-10-19-WCW-Nitro] Ric Flair Proclamation