Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-12-21-WCW-Nitro] Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Misterio Jr

Loss

• 3 months later...

Tony suddenly having an epiphany understanding this storyline is funny. The way the match is worked is that Eddy is out to injure Rey so he's not 100% at Starrcade. Eddy does some world class work on Rey's knee, but it's not his entire focus. Eddy is just awesome in this, both as a heel and for having tremendous offense. There's a ref bump and we're supposed to buy that Rey crashing into Charles Robinson is enough to take him out. Kidman comes out to slug Eddy and accidentally slugs Rey, giving Eddy the win. I don't really care for dumb babyfaces when there's no turn planned. Booking aside, this was an excellent match.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was great. Eddy is really turning it up late in the year and was awesome here. Larry gives a groan inducing line on commentary that says he could break both of their necks if he wanted to. Tony appropriately tells him to pound sand and he is "needed here". The work on Rey's leg was great and Rey has regained his swagger mixing in great highspots with his awesome timing. Finish was fine to me too with Rey and Kidman having some beef now heading into Starrcade. (***1/2)

• 2 years later...

With less than a week to spare, a late contender for Nitro Match of the Year. Misterio is such a great opponent for Eddy, as he's someone he can dominate and bully and really be a hurtful son of a bitch. Rey hits a lot of his usual great offense and somehow, whenever he comes back, it's hard to tell that he had knees of Silly Putty--it was true 20 years ago and it's true today.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-12-21-WCW-Nitro] Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Misterio Jr
  • 3 years later...

The LWO implodes or whatever with Eddie feeling like Rey is too much of his own man, so Eddie responds by yelling at him and beating the fucking shit out of him for the better part of a dozen minutes. This was squash match-level for most of it, and based on it, I wish we had more Eddie Guerrero squash matches. I couldn't even list the amount of interesting moves he did if I tried, and everything right down to thumping Rey on the back of the head with his fists looked tough. The powerbomb was one of THOSE kinds of powerbombs - you know, the THOSE kinds, the SPLAT, BOUNCE and FOLD kinds. These nutters even pulled off a suplex to the outside (that was Rey-on-Eddie violence, though) which Eddie sells by possibly yelling obscenities. Great opening spots with Eddie pulling Rey's tights from outside so he flies into the guardrail, and the steel steps Irish whip that made the steps sliiiide a little. Looked so cool. Later, Eddie gets tossed out the ring and Rey, composing himself, pulls a FOOL MOVE and turns his back and crouches to recuperate only for Eddie to SLIDE INTO THE RING WITH A CHOPBLOCK? How? Who even thinks of that? Rey's springs of life maybe came too easily a couple times considering all the punishment, but they never really lasted so hey whatever. Have I actually underrated Eddie Guerrero at a point in his career? I don't remember thinking he was this badass in 1998 a decade ago, makes me want to see everything he did that year.