Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #30: WWF at Madison Square Garden, Februrary 16th 1981

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-30-wwf-at-madison-square-garden-februrary-16th-1981/

hanson.jpg

After their stop off in Atlanta, Parv, Pete, Johnny and Kelly are back in New York for the highlights of this MSG card.

On the docket tonight:

Pedro Morales vs Sgt Slaughter IC Title

Hulk Hogan vs Rick McGraw

Bob Backlund vs Stan Hansen WWF Title

On this show:

- The relationship between Vince Sr. and the NWA

- The referees at MSG and the New York State Athletic Commission

- Thoughts on Stan Hansen as a promo

- Blood stoppage finishes

- Plus: the relationship between Vince Jr. and the Apter Mags! Giant Baba’s headlocks! The definition of “gimpy”! And much, much more!

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Also, it's a wonder that Slaughter ever left Wwf. I mean this guy was more over than hogan was, it seems, and he was a heel. I mean if we had slaughter v austin, both in prime, the crowd would not know what to do, but go ape. People seem to forget that Slaughter was so over.

As always tremendous show.

I believe the Super Mario lookalike referee you guys were talking about was Gilberto Roman,the ref bumps he took almost seemed to be Terry Funkesque in their overselling.

Also in regards to the referees being union and part of the athletic commission I always wondered about ref bumps,I am assuming they got some sort of bonus and I wonder who would be responsible for paying for any medical bills if one was injured.

The audio for guys was lower than the usual. Had to raise my volume up good amount but then the music that pops in during the show was super loud and almost gave me a heart attack. :) I got quick as it went out to immediate jettison my headphones during the music spots. This might be the shortest Titans show to date? Though I think maybe you guys split it up with the Cobra Challenge.

The crowd for Slaughter/Morales was amazing. I enjoyed this one and the crowd was a big factor. Slaughter is probably making the case for Wrestler of the Year so far but then again Parv as nominated Backlund twice in a row. I love guys interacting with the crowd during matches. Feels like a lost art. Sarge was having fits with the Gomer Pyle chants and kept putting his hands up to his ears. My favorite spot was when he got a wrist lock on Morales and the crowd started the chant. Slaughter's is contorted as he is trying to block out the chants but since he has both hands being used for the wrist lock he cannot put them up to his ears. He ends up letting the hold go as the chant gets to him so much. Here is the crowd helping out their guy Morales with the chants. Loved it.

Hogan was twice as tall as McGraw but Rick had about the same build in size. So freaky looking. Hulk does seem wasted once Andre is not around. They aren't matching him up much with anyone else.

I like Hansen promo here and as Johnny mentioned that ones from AWA. His promos from WCW with the chew all over his face were too goofy for me. Hansen beating up Backlund was great. Stan's appearance barely ever changed. His hair may change somewhat but he looked mostly the same from the 70's through the 90's. Bob has got much better blood in previous matches. He was trying his hardest sitting on the floor trying to pump it out. As Pete mentions it did pull the match to a stop. Was hoping Hansen would smash that little referee.

Agreed with Parv on soccer hopefully not getting over in the US. May they never win a World Cup in my lifetime! Johnny doing different voices with trying to mimic Parv should be fun going forward if he keeps up the gimmick. I hope folks are hitting up the twitter account and demanding a Pedro bio.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a round to listening to this. Lo and behold, I am the subject of the first two minutes or so. Awwwwwww shucks, you sure know how to make a guy feel like a million bucks. I am sorry to disappoint, Johnny, but Katie Bar The Door is not coming back. I just say because it is a cool wrestling phrase and yes I will use it in normal conversation with non-fans to great effect. I don't know how to take the Rocky thing. It was funny on the Boston Garden episode (which I listened to a couple days ago) that Parv thought my people who couldn't pronounce their "r's" were cute. Well, now I don't feel so bad for ragging on DiBiase. Calling us Bostonians cute!?!?! I'll knock your block off, I tells ya!

For those who have watched Hansen/Backlund from NJPW 9/80 how do you think the matches compared? I really like the NJPW match, but have not seen the WWF matches yet.