Pro Wrestling Only

Joe vs the World #75 with Dylan Hales talking NXT

http://www.thecubsfan.com/jvstw/jvstw75.mp3

Joe vs. the World returns! This week, we’re joined by Dylan Hales of the Wrestling Culture podcast, as we run down the entire NXT roster. We go from A(drian Neville) to Z(ayn, Sami) and decide who stays, who gets called up, and who gets cut, plus thoughts on incoming talent, and who we would sign. Plus Bull Dempsey on Hey Dude!, what the hell are the Ascension?, nobody likes CJ Parker, and much much more! Over an hour of podcast power!

The Ascension is just baffling. The are so mid 90s leather and chains sub-sub Pitbulls.

Once Alexa Bliss learns how to sell she'll be a relative goldmine. As given her size and cuteness that's all she needs to do.

Bailey does seem on track for a call up. When she was first heard SHIMMER fans questioned it in ring and more casual fans on Social Media posted the cruelest comments (without me digging) I can remember about her looks (face). She's a very good actress in a lives the gimmick sense and KNOWS her fanbase. But tragically she won't pass the Vince McMahon & Kevin Dunn smell test.

Fair from an impartial source on Becky Lynch but blew she my mind in her teens and to my money one of the best young Wrestlers in history - so fast and technical. She needs to build her confidence and work on promos VERY hard if she wants to called up. Her charisma and personality is extreme connectic. Just listen to the immediate "Becky, Becky, Becky" chants in Full Sail.

Bull Dempsey is too much colour my knowledge he is a tragic ECW's Taz fan from his ring gear to actually training with Taz. His arms relative to his body is flat out embarrassing given his paid to lift weights.

Charlotte's in ring and confidence is improving by month. Probably the most noticeable of all of NXT - that's on TV at least.

Sasha Banks is on the call up list per tonight's tapings. She's okay in the ring. Acting questionable. She started early on the indies and still just 22. For a woman with a BO$$ gimmick the women and homosexuals in my timeline bury her fashion choices and cheap hair weave. Dylan's praise of her is a surprise.

Enzo is in a weird spot given Ricardo's release and Wrestling his history in general. Overpowering babyface manager. Then what?

The talk of hipster wrestling fans at NXT has me wanting CJ Parker to do a sellout-hippie gimmick, giving the same spiel as before but also praising the business practices of Nestle or hawking Fruitopia (which may not be a thing anymore) and coming out to phony-psych music from Strawberry Alarm Clock. Probably too high-concept for a wrestling audience, even a hipster one.

There's a spot that has opened up for Adrian Neville on the main event roster - Kofi Kingston's babyface spot but Neville to me falls short of filling it.

The talk of hipster wrestling fans at NXT has me wanting CJ Parker to do a sellout-hippie gimmick, giving the same spiel as before but also praising the business practices of Nestle or hawking Fruitopia (which may not be a thing anymore) and coming out to phony-psych music from Strawberry Alarm Clock. Probably too high-concept for a wrestling audience, even a hipster one.

Tonight's NXT is behind on the recent events of WWE TV. So in feuding with Xavier Woods he is an environmentalist and a racist.

I liked the breakdowns. Question about Zain on how you think he'll be used as in kind of the Misterio role . Isn't Cesaro kinda in that type of role right now? We've seen him in main events , we've seen him work mid carders and we've seen him work the under card and have good matches up and down the card

Devitt is a decently sized guy at about 6ft but his frame is SO lean. Watched most of his career. His face promos were dreadful - Tyler Black bad sans the emo voice. His heel promos relied a lot of on swearing and some xenophobia. He shot himself in the foot not having his own Youtube page to cut promos in my opinion. I've never seen him cut an Americanised storytelling promo.

I honestly was tempering my hopes for Devitt - a good, bankable "three year" run with the standard trappings of being on Wrestlemania, an action figure, being in the video game and performing at 02 Arena in Dublin would make me happy as a fan. But I have been talking to a lot of people in NXT this week given Devitt & Kenta's arrival and fears over talent cuts. aA take away from that is what I kind of already knew due to Social Media and Irishness exporting well traditionally. He has the potential to be on the level of the three Shield guys in terms of appealing to women. The Divas and "civilian" women are head over heels for him. Also has gotten over as a "Bret Hart-ish" bland babyface and psychotic heel in New Japan as well in the past six months as this special attraction on the UK Indies.

In terms of having a smart head on his shoulders, pleasant, charitable, looking presentable in a suit etc he is the model employee for 2014 WWE and their Corporate initiatives.

I don't think that roll works as well when the guy in question is a heel

Lol I didn't even think about that which your right on the money on. Except that does seem like his role right now. Except he's miscast as a heel . Which again goes back to bad creative.