Pro Wrestling Only

Sangre Chicana

Grimmas

I ranked Sangre Chicana #21 in 2016 and I think I nailed that one, but could see him move into the top 15. He's right there with Hokuto as the best I've ever seen at his best. The difference is we got to see all of the matches from Hokuto when she was at her best. Chicana is a few extraordinarily high end matches separated by years. If we had anywhere close to a full view of Chicana's prime he'd be a top 5 candidate. I love great selling and punching and hardly anyone is better at selling and punching than Chicana. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had Chicana at number 39 in 2016, and on the one hand that feels way too low, but on the other hand I guess I can see why I never pulled the trigger on him for the top 30. We don't have a shit ton of footage and that will forever suck. If I could wish into existence every piece of footage from any wrestler in history then my pick would be Sangre Chicana. All of that said, while the lack of footage probably paints an incomplete picture of his career, I don't for a second believe it paints an inaccurate one. He was absolutely god tier incredible and if I were ranking wrestlers based on, say, their five best performances on tape, then Chicana would probably be top 3. An unbelievable brawler and charismatic to the point of stupidity. Might've had the best timing ever on comebacks, and I don't know if even Lawler made that first big punch after being trounced for 10 minutes feel more monumental than Chicana did. An amazing seller, both as a technico and a rudo. He genuinely might've been the GOAT and 39 is too low. 

SANGRE CHICANA YOU SHOULD WATCH:

v MS-1 (EMLL, 9/23/83)

w/La Fiera & Mocho Cota v MS-1, El Satanico & Espectro Jr. (EMLL, 9/30/83)

v Villano III (UWA, 12/7/84)

v Perro Aguayo (EMLL, 2/28/86)

v El Satanico (EMLL, 5/26/89)

• 1 year later...

I get the point about how not having a look at weekly peak Chicana creates some problems when trying to spot him. Chicana is unique, though, in that I think he's the only one of Mexico's top 1980s contenders who is better off for having his best years in that decade. '90s crowds probably wouldn't have lived and died with his every move to the extent that fans in '80s Arena Mexico did, and that's one of the key pieces to his candidacy.

• 2 weeks later...

He had one of the best peaks in wrestling history, his match against MS-1 got me into lucha thanks to the intensity that he brought to the table, beyond his great singles matches he is also a big part of some good to great trios matches at the time. The biggest problem of Sangre Chicana as a candidate is the lack of footage, still a serious contender to enter my top 100. Maybe the greatest big match wrestler ever, his case is very similar to Akira Hokuto's, while Hokuto had the greatest match of all time against Shinobu Kandori, Sangre Chicana had great matches against the lights of El Satánico, Perro Aguayo and MS-1.