Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Estrada

Grimmas

Most famous on this board as ohtani's jacket's least favorite luchador. There are also people who swear by him, as seen in this thread. Kind of an odd wrestler in that I like his trios matches more when he's the third guy on the team than when he's feuding with someone, which is kind of a damning statement, but I do enjoy the bumping and comedy. Some matches, all online:

Jerry Estrada vs. Javier Cruz - probably his most famous match and performance

Estrada/Vulcano/Tony Arce vs. Ciclon Ramirez/Aguila Solitaria/Pantera - I thought he was fun here, although I can see people being annoyed by him

Jerry Estrada vs. Lizmark - the '93 one

Jerry Estrada vs. Stuka

I don't mind giving Estrada credit when he deserves it like in the Stuka hair match -- http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/blog/8/entry-431-random-90s/ -- but he's been awful so many times. I hate that Cruz hair match more than any other lucha bout. I also really disliked the Satanico hair match, but I know Loss and other people like it. The La Fiera chain match is pretty good. I'd like to see his other Stuka match.

• 6 years later...

I had Jerry Estrada at number 61 in 2016, and on the surface that feels nonsensically high, but I'm not about to make a liar of myself and say I regret that for a single second, or that I won't just end up talking myself into having him this high again in 2026. I'm also not about to sit and tell you a story of how Estrada, along with Eddie Guerrero, El Dandy and El Hijo del Santo, is one of the people who became my proper gateway to lucha. I could tell that story and it would be true, because he was every bit as important as the other three in that, but I don't want it to sound like I only voted Estrada so high because of some nostalgia factor. Really I just love watching Jerry Estrada and his brand of absolute horse shit nonsense. He's a man who clearly gave not one fuck about anything, and I find that level of wanton disregard to be damn near inspirational. There are clearly times where he's stumbled into the arena already wearing his ring gear from the night or week before, clearly unfit for purpose, can barely run the ropes, and yet I find it mesmerising. Maybe that says more about me than I'd like to admit, but there are enough Estrada matches that I love for me to spend too much time arguing with myself over it. I love him in trios, whether he's the lead player or a bit part player, because inevitably he'll leave his scummy mark on everything and the match will usually be seedier (better) for it. When he hasn't pumped himself full of cocaine or whatever else he pumps himself full of he's even capable of having an awesome traditional title match. And I know OJ loves his apuesta matches, but I think I might love them even more, even if Estrada is probably too fucked up during every single one of them to actually register what's at stake. Maybe the greatest deliverer of a whiskey-fuelled tope outside of Sangre Chicana. Also, my favourite spot in wrestling is when Estrada tries to walk along the apron and falls flat on his face on the floor, and part of the reason why is because I'm never actually sure if he means it. Jerry Estrada is not for everyone, but by god Jerry Estrada is for me. 

JERRY ESTRADA YOU SHOULD WATCH:

v Ultraman (EMLL, 3/2/84)

v Javier Cruz (EMLL, 11/5/89)

v La Fiera (Monterrey, 1991)

w/La Parka & El Satanico v Lizmark, Octagon & Mascara Sagrada (AAA, 6/4/93)

v Lizmark (AAA, 6/18/93)

• 1 year later...

What happened to this guy? Most of the favorites from the early days of tape traders expanding into Mexican wrestling, guys like Casas, Fuerza and Pirata, still enjoy that status. Jerry Estrada was in that group too, but over thirty years later all he has is KB8 shouting into the wind (I've been there). Overall he finished fourth among Jerries. Canek finished above him last time, and have you SEEN the Canek thread? So was it a decrease in appreciation for wild bumping? The fallen reputation of the match with Javier Cruz? Estrada had more to him than just the bumps. He was a member of the Fuerza Guerrera clade of workers, athletic rudos who placed a strong emphasis on comedy, and when you see a Jerry Estrada comedy spot it's hard to imagine someone else pulling it off or even attempting it. Here's one that he characteristically just thought up on the spot. This one is probably his most famous,  and not only did he have the guts to do it deep in the third fall of a big hair match, but it actually fit perfectly for a tired, bloodied wrestler to have happen. And, uh, here he tries his best in a dance contest with Latin Lover but loses anyway. Estrada wasn't as consistent or solid as Fuerza. He could be fantastic and terrible all in the same match. His case could probably use a few more great 1 vs 1 matches. But overall I don't think KB8's rating was wildly high at all. Even the Cruz match had more good than bad for me, especially after the first fall.

I liked these:
Estrada, Emilio Charles Jr. and Pirata Morgan vs Villano III, Satanico and Atlantis
Estrada, Espanto Jr. and La Parka vs Lizmark, Rey Misterio Sr. and Rey Misterio Jr.
Estrada, Pentagon, Fuerza Guerrera and Psicosis vs La Parka, Hijo del Santo, Rey Misterio Jr. and Octagon