Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 64

EricR and I were discussing the idea of Cobb and Thatcher having a rematch because that's what the tourney should build to based on the hype alone, but Thatcher does have a pretty heavy schedule that weekend. You'd hope they'd run that match as the final, but at the same time, the logistics might be a bit off.

It's been officially announced that NXT is going to have a tournament to put somebody in the Andre Battle royal, don't think you guys touched on that. Curious as to your thoughts?

I think whoever they send in, even if it's somebody like a Tyler Breeze, is going to have the smarts behind them 100%. I actually don't think it's the worst idea in the world to call a guy up that way as long as they look strong. Neville's story doesn't really have anywhere else to go in NXT so he's my pick to fill the spot.

Is there any possibility that Joe shows up in that tournament and steamrolls his way through everyone to the trophy? That would definitely get the Monday morning people talking.

I don't see the crowd getting behind Breeze or anyone lower than him in the Battle Royal if they win the tourney. Zayn, sure. Owens or Balor, sure. Itami or Neville, probably. Basically, the guys who are over with the NXT crowd and have the 'smart fan' cred. Maybe it's a loaded pick to choose him, but I don't see people rallying behind Baron Corbin if he wins.

I don't either, but I don't expect someone as green as Corbin getting a call up. Whoever it is will be a guy who is at least at the Itami level. I still think whoever it is gets cheered just due to the fact that the smarts think NXT is the best thing to happen to wrestling in years and even if it is Breeze he would be seen as a representation of that.

EricR and I were discussing the idea of Cobb and Thatcher having a rematch because that's what the tourney should build to based on the hype alone, but Thatcher does have a pretty heavy schedule that weekend. You'd hope they'd run that match as the final, but at the same time, the logistics might be a bit off.

Scheduling hopefully won't be an issue, but if they book that tourney as anything other than a Cobb/Thatcher match in the finals then they've done gone messed up.

I don't see the crowd getting behind Breeze or anyone lower than him in the Battle Royal if they win the tourney. Zayn, sure. Owens or Balor, sure. Itami or Neville, probably. Basically, the guys who are over with the NXT crowd and have the 'smart fan' cred. Maybe it's a loaded pick to choose him, but I don't see people rallying behind Baron Corbin if he wins.

I don't see any of the four involved in the 'tournament" getting over in this environment. Its basically the worst possible way to debut those particular talents who need the ring space to actually perform. Corbin would actually be a better choice in my mind than any of them because he doesn't need the room and can be impressive standing there not getting in the way. The rest of them need space to work and they won't be able to with 19 other guys in the way. Battle Royals are awful for getting over high flyers or smaller guys.