Pro Wrestling Only

1991 WCW TV Shows - What all was on?

Smack2k

International Pro, shown in some regions on the ITV network in the UK during the "Night Time" strand alongside The Hitman and Her, Stephen King and Jobfinder. It was literally all matches and nothing else (no promos, angles, etc.) and the footage came from various different tapings (and would thus jump around from Centre Stage to Cobb County or wherever over the course of a single episode), and you would get stuff ordered arbitrarily. Basically they'd show a TV quality "main event" (i.e. Z-Man vs. Terry Taylor) and then follow it with Ron Simmons vs. Mike Thor to close out the show.

I don't think we got any exclusive matches or anything like that, but we had brand new non-specific commentary by Lance Russell, until he was cruelly, callously replaced by this awful young guy called Eric Bischoff, who insisted on listing everyone's weight in kilos and ounces. It was a nice touch I suppose, but as a kid following American wrestling, I was used to pounds and consequently had no idea what the fuck he was talking about.

By 1992, it suddenly switched one week to one of the shows that Jim Ross was hosting solo, and not long after that it switched to the Worldwide show with Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura, which I think was still the case in 1993 (it was off Tyne Tees by then, where I was, but the first time I ever saw the Hollywood Blonds and found out Brian Pillman had gone heel was on an ITV show I saw while I was holidaying in Ireland). By 1994, some regions were getting a Saturday afternoon show that apparently had PPV matches on them.

I think we also got WCW on Sky for a brief period until the WWF made a stink about it, but I never saw those shows at the time. I've still got about 7/8 tapes worth of WCW on ITV that I used watch the shit out of when I was a kid. I tried to convert them to DVD some years ago but the disc drive packed in so those tapes are still just sat in a drawer, and I've never seen any of them show up online in trades or on YouTube (though I've since seen matches from the Sky showings).

International Pro, shown in some regions on the ITV network in the UK during the "Night Time" strand alongside The Hitman and Her, Stephen King and Jobfinder. It was literally all matches and nothing else (no promos, angles, etc.) and the footage came from various different tapings (and would thus jump around from Centre Stage to Cobb County or wherever over the course of a single episode), and you would get stuff ordered arbitrarily. Basically they'd show a TV quality "main event" (i.e. Z-Man vs. Terry Taylor) and then follow it with Ron Simmons vs. Mike Thor to close out the show.

I don't think we got any exclusive matches or anything like that, but we had brand new non-specific commentary by Lance Russell, until he was cruelly, callously replaced by this awful young guy called Eric Bischoff, who insisted on listing everyone's weight in kilos and ounces. It was a nice touch I suppose, but as a kid following American wrestling, I was used to pounds and consequently had no idea what the fuck he was talking about.

By 1992, it suddenly switched one week to one of the shows that Jim Ross was hosting solo, and not long after that it switched to the Worldwide show with Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura, which I think was still the case in 1993 (it was off Tyne Tees by then, where I was, but the first time I ever saw the Hollywood Blonds and found out Brian Pillman had gone heel was on an ITV show I saw while I was holidaying in Ireland). By 1994, some regions were getting a Saturday afternoon show that apparently had PPV matches on them.

I think we also got WCW on Sky for a brief period until the WWF made a stink about it, but I never saw those shows at the time. I've still got about 7/8 tapes worth of WCW on ITV that I used watch the shit out of when I was a kid. I tried to convert them to DVD some years ago but the disc drive packed in so those tapes are still just sat in a drawer, and I've never seen any of them show up online in trades or on YouTube (though I've since seen matches from the Sky showings).

Funny how you mentioned this as I was just watching one of my late night ITV wrestling tapes last night.

We must be in a different ITV region as here we never got a International version. I do know we got WCW Pro on a late night 1.50am time slot in the early hours of Sunday which seemed to be around Halloween havoc time. Used to watch it each week and that odd cooking program that would air just before the wrestling called get Stuffed. Time they had got to Superbrawl the show time started to change and I think the broadcast was near complete running at 50 mins so couldnt find a late night slot but a Saturday Afternoon instead which was WCW Worldwide. I remember Dustin & Barry tagging up on the first show against DDP & Nash and after a few episodes I did notice the runtime had been cut down to 35 - 40 mins so something was cut out.

After a while they seemed to not air it some weeks due to Football but did catch the odd episode on late night but am so glad German channel DSF came along to air WCW on Sky TV. I remember WCW on Sky too hosted by Lance Russel who was the Power Hour show host as it was remembered by me for Sting pinning Flair while El Gigante counted the pin.