Pro Wrestling Only

Wing Kanemura

Dylan Waco

In real time he was my favorite garbage promotion worker. I have no clue how he would play in hindsight, but I always found him to be almost a cross between the pageantry and showmanship of Onita, and the go-go, big spot style of Masato Tanaka. When I was going through the ECW fancams I found a couple of matches involving him which I really enjoyed their, but I have not watched any of his prime Japanese work in a long time. I get the impression from talking to Loss that the promotion WING may be something of a gold mine of fun stuff, but I'm not sure how much of that is conjecture. Still this feels like a guy who deserves a thread, and he is someone I will try to watch some stuff from over the course of the Summer.

It's pretty much entirely conjecture at this point. But it's absolutely something I want to explore. In terms of that generation of death match workers, I think Kanemura's working style most closely resembles Onita's out of everyone in that crop. And of course you can't talk about him without talking about that Kevin Sullivan match in SMW. What intrigued me about W*ING was seeing that they had a few matches at Korakuen Hall playing off of the SMW match.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2015 at 9:47 AM, Dylan Waco said:

In real time he was my favorite garbage promotion worker. I have no clue how he would play in hindsight, but I always found him to be almost a cross between the pageantry and showmanship of Onita, and the go-go, big spot style of Masato Tanaka.

Pretty much. I loved Kanemura too. Oddly I never took the dive into WING, but I'm convinced he peaked in FMW around 97/98 anyway. Always a lot of fun to watch, although he could get on autopilot once he got really banged up. 

Got #Speakingouted years before the fact too