Pro Wrestling Only

The Bix Show Episode #5 w/ Kris Zellner on newsletters and more

http://davidbix.com/the-bix-show-episode-5-kris-zellner/

Wrestling historian, Exile on Badstreet podcast host, and all-around good guy Kris Zellner joins the show to have a loose, sometimes disconnected conversation about old newsletters and other elements of wrestling fandom like radio shows, tape trading, the early days of the internet…and whatever tangents we go off on. Longer episode than usual, but this was a LOT of fun.

Listening now, so many names from that era of smart fan culture have faded away. I've met Howard Baum, Pete Lederberg, and Jeff Bowdren at conventions in Charlotte over the years. Pete still sets up a table to sell photos, old newsletters, etc. and remembers me after having met once. I'd be curious to see what (if anything) some of the fans from that era kept that could be easily distributed/preserved in this day & age.

I liked the conversation feel to the show. It really brought up long ago memories. I got on line in 95 when in college. So a lot of this stuff was stuff I haven't thought about in years. Scoops, MiCasa. Dave's wrestling emporium. I saw RF advertising Sabu comps in old PWI and started there. Then got a Ric Flair title changes comp when it was at 8.

Yeah, the show in general was good, but the entire tangent about mid-90's to mid-00's wrestling sites was awesome, largely because I traveled the same path. Got consistent Internet access in '94 or '95 (you can find some fantastic RSPW posts from a 12 year old me back then possibly), then finding Micasa and I think Herb, then drifting around RSPW for a while until the various sites like Scoops (Yokozuna is joining the Hart Foundation!), Wrestleline, 411mania, etc. came up (anybody remember the nWWWo?), hitching onto DVDVR, but hanging around largely as a lurker (even though my first Japanese tape I ever got was a result of winning a trivia contest on DVDVR), reading the Delphi forums with guys like Shapiro on them, then eventually listening to the eyada shows when I finally got broadband in late '99, reading tOa, but largely being afraid of ever posting because I had no clue what everybody was talking about, going on TheSmartMarks board, and then subscribing to F4W in one of the first few months it was open as a site.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Like others have said it brought back a lot of old online memories. I was trying to find the Scoops parody Scoop This! archive recently but haven't come across it.

And I remember the first time I met Bix was in "Extreme" Eric Tuttle's tape trading MIRC chatroom probably 1997ish. Jesus!

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Like others have said it brought back a lot of old online memories. I was trying to find the Scoops parody Scoop This! archive recently but haven't come across it.

And I remember the first time I met Bix was in "Extreme" Eric Tuttle's tape trading MIRC chatroom probably 1997ish. Jesus!

You mean ROH Superstar "Towel Boy" Eric Tuttle.