Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Wrestler of the Year Contenders

goodhelmet

MEMPHIS

Jerry Lawler - Lawler is feuding with Hart & Kaufman for a large chunk of the year but it was an awesome feud with Hart bringing Stan Hansen for some memorable tags. He has the MOTYC with Dundee in June. He begins the feud with Savage later in the year with the cage match. On basis of limited footage, Lawler is good as anyone to carry the torch stateside.

(Gotta give a shoutout to the Fabulous Ones-Moondogs feud that tore Memphis apart in 1983)

PORTLAND

Buddy Rose – Another notch in the belt for Buddy with a young Hennig, Strongbow and DK matches. Buddy gets the best out of everybody.

NWA

Harley Race – Has the big feud with Flair that produced great matches up until Starrcade. Hung out in Teas for some great matches as well as Japan.
Ric Flair – Flair has the feud with Race but the Starrcade match was more great moment than great match. Flair has highlights in Japan and Texas. His famous Brody match happened this year but that isn’t a plus for me. Still, Flair is tearing it up.

TEXAS
Michael Hayes

Terry Gordy

Kerry Von Erich

- The peak of the Von Erichs vs. Freebirds feud where you could get a great match week in and week out. I think Hayes & Kerry had one of the best matches of the 80s in the cage. Tons of great tags and six mans. I love these guys.

AWA

Nick Bockwinkel – Nick was tearing it up in the AWA with the MOTYC with Wahoo. He also had stops in Houston, Memphis and Japan to put a feather in his cap. He might be my #1 for the year.

Crusher Blackwell – Blackwell is in full Sheiks era but he was awesome. More of a shout out than #1 contender.

NEW JAPAN

Tatsumi Fujinami

Riki Choshu

- Choshu and Fujinami are locked together in a Feud of the Year with great match after great match. Fujinami finishes the year strong with some nice performances. These guys could be #1 and #2 on the list for the year and I wouldn’t argue.

ALL JAPAN

I don’t remember having a lack of 1983 for footage but it is possible. A lot of gaigin popping up with Terry Funk and Stan Hansen having their great match. Flair, Kerry, Bock and Race all pay All Japan a visit.

MID SOUTH

1983 Mid South is tough to figure out because of footage limitations but Dibiase is in full King Rat era. Have to grade Mid South wrestlers as incomplete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...