Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-08-25-WWE-Summerslam] Kurt Angle vs Rey Misterio

Superstar Sleeze

Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio - Summerslam 2002

Finally a raucous 2002 crowd! Long Island was rocking for this double hot opener. I can't believe I watched this match and did not remember anything from it. They ripped it up in there. I did think in the middle that was maybe because they going all Ultimo Dragon World War III '96, but this had a way hotter finish to it with Rey really looking like a champ. I like Rey jumpstarting the match early and his first flub being trying to Irish Whip Angle that is a great nod to the size differential. Angle going for the AngleLock early and Rey thinking 619 is one of my favorite ways to open a sprint. Loved Angle yanking Mysterio off the apron into a belly bump on the floor, nasty. Angle worked a focused heat segment on the lower back and had some really impressive throws and counter for Mysterio's hope spots. Mysterio was doing his job creating the movement and keeping the crowd alive with hope spots. The ref stopping Rey from following up sending Angle to the outside only to jump over the ref into a somersault plancha was pitch perfect. The boos into the massive cheers and chants of Holy Shit! That is pro fucking wrestling, right there! I was surprised Angle took the 619/West Coast Pop only to kick out. Does not hurt the match just surprised. They do the flub the intricate finish of Angle trying to counter a top rope Latino Frankensteiner (TM Michael Buffer) with the AngleLock, but he gets it for the win. Awesome sprint. Perfect opener. Loved the somersault plancha spot. Angle was on point as the cocky, jock bully and Mysterio rocked it as the underdog showing him up. Highly entertaining! ****

• 1 year later...
Often cited as probably the best WWE PPV opener ever in contention with Bret vs. Owen (or maybe even HHH-Bryan for some), I actually preferred this to Bret vs. Owen. Old school mat wrestling and technique is all well and good, but this is just 10 minutes of RIDICULOUSLY good action. Mysterio flies around like it's WCW 1998 and Kurt Angle brings some brutal cut off spots and high intensity offense. Just a simple, all out match that's perfectly paced and perfectly timed. Just awesome.

****1/2

• 8 months later...

Awesome opener. I've seen some of their other matches and I'm astounded at how much better Kurt Angle is against Rey Mysterio than almost anyone else from that era. He just abandons all his bad psychology habits and actually wrestles to his character. Really strong mat wrestling and throws like you'd expect from an Olympian wrestler. Great stuff.

****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2002-08-25-WWE-Summerslam] Kurt Angle vs Rey Misterio
  • 8 months later...