Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-10-12-Houston Wrestling] The Fantastics vs Chavo & Hector Guerrero

Superstar Sleeze

Shoe and I reviewed this match as a part of our tribute to Tommy Rogers for Tag Teams Back Again Episode 6. Link is here.

I had forgotten most of the match (the finish stuck with me) so I rewatched it and liked a lot more this go around. I was having a hellish time at work when I first watched it and am on vacation right now so I am going to chock it up to that. http://placetobenation.com/tag-teams-back-again-episode-6-special-edition-tommy-rogers-tribute/

The Fantastics vs The Guerreros - Houston 10/12/84

The Guerreros were big stars for Houston Wrestling. There are people way more qualified to explain Houston wrestling, but in simplistic terms it is similar to St. Louis in that it is a wrestling town unto itself not associated with a larger territory (for history buffs this is like the free cities of the Holy Roman Empire). A town would align itself with a larger promotion to draw on its talent. Houston at this time was aligned with Mid-South as Bill Watts is doing the commentary and this is being presented on Power Pro Wrestling. It is also a No. 1 Contender's match for the MId-South Tag Titles held by the Rock N Roll Express (which kinda gives away the finish). Paul Boesch, a highly respected figure, was the promoter for Houston and would also bring in figures as diverse as the AWA Champion, Dusty Rhodes and Andre The Giant and align himself with WWF and Southwest. The Guerreros and Jose Lothario were some of the biggest Houston mainstays. Watts explains that Guerreros were babyfaces up until recently until Hector, who is a bit of a loose canon caused some friction with local hero, Lothario and Chavo had to step in to defend his brother's honor, but in the process turn heel. The Guerreros are the heels and the Fans are the faces.

Hector throws a wild boot at Fulton while he is high-fiving fans and we are off to the races. Awesome raucous start that sees the Fans sending the Guerreros packing. I really liked the story at the beginning of the match that Guerreros are quick, but the Fantastics can play that game too and were always one step ahead. There were some fun chain sequences that saw the Fantastics get the best of it. This was until Rogers missed a dropkick and the Hector pounced. I really liked Watts righteous indignation about the ref counting after the ref counted a fall that resulted from a Hector suplex from the apron to the ring. I have always agreed with Watts that enforcing the rules helps sell wrestling. Just like great selling helps sells the moves. Tommy Rogers is doing a great job selling the Guerreros awesome suplexes. Rogers double sunset flip was a great hope spot. I thought the transition to the tag was well done with Rogers really stepping through his kick on Hector who telegraphed a back drop and then falling back into the tag. Fulton was a great house of fire. It should be mentioned that he was a great on the apron constantly urging on Rogers and interacting with the crowd. He was really bringing it to the Guerreros and even through miscommunications keeping the sequence together. He gets the visual fall on the bodyslam, but the ref is distracted trying to get Tommy back into his corner so one of the Guerreros hits a swanton bomb and the other Guerrero rolls him up for the win. Great finish!

This is a perfect fundamentals-based tag with a great shine that proved the Fantastics were every bit as fast as the Guerreros, a fun heat segment with some cool moves and an explosive finish run. Really good 80s tag wrestling. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1984-10-12-Houston Wrestling] The Fantastics vs Chavo & Hector Guerrero